Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -neither elect arbitration (page 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Swayman holds the cards here folks.
I see people posting ridiculous low numbers on long term deals and that just isn’t happening.
You want low AAV?
He’ll either sit out or sign a two-year year deal and then become an UFA. Bye!
You want a long-term deal that goes into his UFA years? Pay up.
Don Sweeney and Bruins can have their goalie allocation budget all they want, but Swayman isn’t going to sacrifice heavily just because Korpisalo was brought in and the cap room is where it is at now.

Demon Eyes

Nov 29, 2014
Even then it was Fleury who got the Pens to the dance. Murray played just 13 regular season games that year, 21 in the playoffs. He was fresh as a daisy.
Ok, well I'm not gonna dig too hard into goalies, so I'll go with the easy one. Patrick Roy played 47 games in his second year but first full season and won the cup in the playoffs. Good chance he was on what could be considered a minimum salary.

Hazelwig

Feb 24, 2023
It's a debate that can and will likely rage on for years. Is a team better off allocating more money to skaters and less towards goaltenders?

2 of the last 4 cup finalists had "cheap" goaltenders. Florida spent over 14 million this past year on goaltending.

If we go back 3 more years, we get 3 appearances by Vasilievsky, one by Carey Price, Kuemper who wasn't expensive contract wise but cost to acquire, and a Cinderella run by our old friend Khudobin.

I don't know if there is a correct answer other than who is the goalie and who is the skater?

That being said, how cheap can you go with goalies? Has a team won riding a guy making under a million per?
Disclaimer: not an expert at all, but I don't think there's any way of truly understanding a goalie's ability until they're imbedded in a system. If Swayman started in CLB when Korpi did, would he have the same career projection? If Ullmark stayed in BUF would he have had numbers to support the Vezina? Maybe the Bruins truly feel Korpi will outperform his historic metrics (Goalie Bob, defensive structure, etc). If that's the case, is there even a tiny % chance that they would welcome an offer sheet from MON to restock our farm? Having all those picks is huge. MON is a conf rival, and Bussi is untested, but its an interesting avenue to explore.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
IMG_3430.jpeg

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I think Swayman loves it here. I think he wants to be here and be a big part of this culture and the organization. He came to development camp, just a reminder of how much he loves being around the team.

I think Swayman is leaving this up to his agent. He's here. He's training like it's another day at the office. The agent will do his best to get the most for Sway and Sweeney will do his best to keep the cost reasonable, but fair to Sway. Neither party filed for arbitration because they both want a long-term deal and they want to keep things amicable.

I also think Korpisalo is Sweeney's nuclear deterrent. He has Korpi and Bussi and can say to the agent, if you insist on setting a new benchmark then we're prepared for Swayman not to play. We have a promising rookie and a veteran starter already in place. We don't want that, but we're not in the business of setting benchmarks here, and Jeremy knows that.

So at the end of the day, I think Swayman is going to let this play out for awhile to get the number as high as he can get it, and then will sign. But I think we should be prepared for that process to take awhile, maybe until early September.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
When has Sweeney disappointed in a contract negotiation ?
Can't think of any. Some may say DeBrusk going, but haven't we all been waiting for him to put it all together and shine. Yes he was pretty good, but perhaps I'm wrong, but I always expected more from Jake and was dissapointed. I expect the contract to get done.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Disclaimer: not an expert at all, but I don't think there's any way of truly understanding a goalie's ability until they're imbedded in a system. If Swayman started in CLB when Korpi did, would he have the same career projection? If Ullmark stayed in BUF would he have had numbers to support the Vezina? Maybe the Bruins truly feel Korpi will outperform his historic metrics (Goalie Bob, defensive structure, etc). If that's the case, is there even a tiny % chance that they would welcome an offer sheet from MON to restock our farm? Having all those picks is huge. MON is a conf rival, and Bussi is untested, but its an interesting avenue to explore.
I know it's a very very small sample size. But he did look ok with the Kings, did he not?

Swayman appears to be the real deal though. Not many goalies come out of college and go straight to the NHL and make a difference. Guys gonna get in a goalie fight for sure one year also. He seems to just have it.

- not a scout haha

Reactions: Gordoff

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I also think Korpisalo is Sweeney's nuclear deterrent. He has Korpi and Bussi and can say to the agent, if you insist on setting a new benchmark then we're prepared for Swayman not to play. We have a promising rookie and a veteran starter already in place. We don't want that, but we're not in the business of setting benchmarks here, and Jeremy knows that.

Are you saying you think Sweeney believes this? Or that you believe it?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I think Swayman loves it here. I think he wants to be here and be a big part of this culture and the organization. He came to development camp, just a reminder of how much he loves being around the team.

I think Swayman is leaving this up to his agent. He's here. He's training like it's another day at the office. The agent will do his best to get the most for Sway and Sweeney will do his best to keep the cost reasonable, but fair to Sway. Neither party filed for arbitration because they both want a long-term deal and they want to keep things amicable.

So at the end of the day, I think Swayman is going to let this play out for awhile to get the number as high as he can get it, and then will sign. But I think we should be prepared for that process to take awhile, maybe until early September.
Swayman would be out for the year at that point giving himself a hernia from laughing. I think if Sweeney wanted to play hardball with him he would just have kept Ullmark, because the current stable of Bruins goalies only strengthens Swayman's quest for a large long term deal

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
It's a debate that can and will likely rage on for years. Is a team better off allocating more money to skaters and less towards goaltenders?

2 of the last 4 cup finalists had "cheap" goaltenders. Florida spent over 14 million this past year on goaltending.

If we go back 3 more years, we get 3 appearances by Vasilievsky, one by Carey Price, Kuemper who wasn't expensive contract wise but cost to acquire, and a Cinderella run by our old friend Khudobin.

I don't know if there is a correct answer other than who is the goalie and who is the skater?

That being said, how cheap can you go with goalies? Has a team won riding a guy making under a million per?
what was the fraud binnington making?

Reactions: BruinDust

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Swayman would be out for the year at that point giving himself a hernia from laughing. I think if Sweeney wanted to play hardball with him he would just have kept Ullmark, because the current stable of Bruins goalies only strengthens Swayman's quest for a large long term deal

With Ullmark you can believably say to Swayman we want you as the future goalie of the Bruins, but at a # we can live with and surround you with a cup winning roster.

If it comes to it we can just deal you and we’ll ride Ullmark for a few years.

Then it’s up to Swayman to decide if he wants to maximize his earnings or if he really loves Boston he can take a # that’s still fair but still does the Bruins a favor.

Very possible tho it’s all amicable, they are both in the same ballpark for the contract and they are just arguing about the finer details.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Sweeney wanted some value for Ullmark and he got it in Letourneau.

The Bruins have a great track record with goalies. I wouldn’t bet against them reviving Korpisalo.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Swayman wants to be here. Nobody is denying that.

But Swayman also wants to get what he deserves, and feels that the team didn't pay him what he thought he was worth last year AND crap talked him during arbitration. Of course, too bad, that's the process, but he undeniably had bad feelings about that. Whether he loves it here or not, he's going to want to get paid what he thinks he deserves. And if Sweeney doesn't want to do that, and instead wants to bluff that's on him.

Your "nuclear deterrent" would be like Lichenstein trying to bluff the USSR in 1981. Go ahead and go with Korpisalo and Bussi. If Swayman isn't signed by Sept. the clock starts ticking. Every day it does on from there is 1 more day closer to the hard NHL deadline of 12/1.

What's in everyone's best interest is a long term fair deal. If the team is going to go out and sign Lindholm and Zadorov, 2 guys from outside the organization, and add Korpisalo's salary, and THEN try to cry poor mouth and cap ceiling to Swayman, then that's not going to sit well. You can' say you are building a team, and crow about "the culture" and then go add 3 guys from outside and claim you can't pay one of the 3 most important guys already in the room. You don't think that would upset the close knit locker room?

But reason will prevail and a deal will get done.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Swayman wants to be here. Nobody is denying that.

But Swayman also wants to get what he deserves, and feels that the team didn't pay him what he thought he was worth last year AND crap talked him during arbitration. Of course, too bad, that's the process, but he undeniably had bad feelings about that. Whether he loves it here or not, he's going to want to get paid what he thinks he deserves. And if Sweeney doesn't want to do that, and instead wants to bluff that's on him.

Your "nuclear deterrent" would be like Lichenstein trying to bluff the USSR in 1981. Go ahead and go with Korpisalo and Bussi. If Swayman isn't signed by Sept. the clock starts ticking. Every day it does on from there is 1 more day closer to the hard NHL deadline of 12/1.

What's in everyone's best interest is a long term fair deal. If the team is going to go out and sign Lindholm and Zadorov, 2 guys from outside the organization, and add Korpisalo's salary, and THEN try to cry poor mouth and cap ceiling to Swayman, then that's not going to sit well. You can' say you are building a team, and crow about "the culture" and then go add 3 guys from outside and claim you can't pay one of the 3 most important guys already in the room. You don't think that would upset the close knit locker room?

But reason will prevail and a deal will get done.
What if Swayman is asking for $9.5M?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Do you think Swayman was ranked too high or too low on the JFresh list?

But to answer your question: I wouldn't pay him 9.5m. Nor would I try to bluff him with the idea that the team is just as good with Joonas Korpisalo and Brandon Bussi.
Of course not on the latter. But if Swayman’s demands are outsized, then the fact that a deal isn’t done yet isn’t all on management right?

I think he’s a bit high on the JFresh list but it’s not relevant obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad