Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -UPDATE- neither elect arbitration (page 16)

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Red Wings should try and sign Swayman to a huge offer sheet. If it works they get a great young goalie, and if it doesn't they hurt a division opponent up against the cap.

Of course that assume Swayman decides to play along. Ultimately it seems Sway wants to stay in Boston. Signing an offer sheet with Detroit seems like something that doesn't help him accomplish that

And staying with Boston and handcuffing them doesn't help him. Now if it gets bad and no traction is made, then maybe his hands are forced and Sway has to pursue an offer sheet

Reactions: PB37

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
I would ask him how much and for how long. As long as it’s reasonable and even semi unreasonable I hand him a pen. This needs to get done so we can look forward to 2011

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Of course that assume Swayman decides to play along. Ultimately it seems Sway wants to stay in Boston. Signing an offer sheet with Detroit seems like something that doesn't help him accomplish that

And staying with Boston and handcuffing them doesn't help him. Now if it gets bad and no traction is made, then maybe his hands are forced and Sway has to pursue an offer sheet

Ultimately we have no idea if he wants to stay in Boston so long as he gets the contract he wants.

Signing a huge offer sheet would put the ball squarely in Boston's court and they would then decide if they want to keep him at his price or not.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Ultimately we have no idea if he wants to stay in Boston so long as he gets the contract he wants.

Signing a huge offer sheet would put the ball squarely in Boston's court and they would then decide if they want to keep him at his price or not.
But it’s a conceptual exercise at best. They don’t happen except in very rare circumstances. Yzerman isn’t the kind of guy to alienate himself from other GMs.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I feel like Swayman is a really tough contract, he’s arguably one of the top goalies in the league, but he’s also pretty inexperienced. He started only 44 games this season, and that was the most of his career. Comparing him to Shesterkin isn’t fair outside of what you hope he might become, Shesterkin has a Vezina and has started over 50 games several times, plus he had a playoff run about as good as Sway.

I feel like anything over 7 million is paying for potential. But with that said, I don’t know how you don’t pay it.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Questions for the LF:

1) A lot being mentioned about Swayman’s lack of experience compared to other goaltenders and the contracts they have received. How confident are you (in terms of %) that Swayman is/will-be a steady-to-excellent goalie long-term?

2) What contract(s) could Swayman sign with the Bruins that you would be UNhappy with?

Last edited:

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
According to CapFriendly, the only teams able to sign Swayman to a deal in that range would be the Buffalo Sabres, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, Nashville Predators, New York Islanders, Philadelphia Flyers, and Seattle Kraken.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Questions for the LF:

1) A lot being mentioned about Swayman’s lack of experience compared to other goaltenders and the contracts they have received. How confident are you (in terms of %) that Swayman is/will-be a steady-to-excellent goalie long-term?

2) What contract(s) could Swayman sign with the Bruins that you would be unhappy with?
I’m happy with 8x$8.5M. Anything below that is gravy. With the amount the cap is going up in the next 3-4 years it’s a no brainer.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
“I know we don’t have the hug anymore but there’s still going to be something going on after Bruins games, I can only imagine,” Swayman said in a Cameo. “Hopefully (Korpisalo) and I are going to find something cool, and we’ll keep that tradition going. No doubt.”

“He reached out to me right away,” Korpisalo said of Swayman last week. “He texted me and I had a warm welcome to Boston. We tried to catch up for a call the last couple of days, but I think we’ll manage to do it. He seems like a great guy. Can’t wait to meet him and get to work with him.”

37Bergenov14

Jul 14, 2016
Like $9.25? Or even more I’d be unhappy with a short term deal. I want the 8 years.
Agreed on the term. Neither 5/6 or 8 years puts the Bs in an ideal spot for renewal, but I'd rather the prospect of signing him to a vet/sunset contract at 33 instead of those risky 30yo 8 yr contracts that always suck on the backend.

Reactions: Gordoff

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
“I know we don’t have the hug anymore but there’s still going to be something going on after Bruins games, I can only imagine,” Swayman said in a Cameo. “Hopefully (Korpisalo) and I are going to find something cool, and we’ll keep that tradition going. No doubt.”

“He reached out to me right away,” Korpisalo said of Swayman last week. “He texted me and I had a warm welcome to Boston. We tried to catch up for a call the last couple of days, but I think we’ll manage to do it. He seems like a great guy. Can’t wait to meet him and get to work with him.”

Does not sound like a guy who is unhappy and might not stick around and sign.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Red Wings should try and sign Swayman to a huge offer sheet. If it works they get a great young goalie, and if it doesn't they hurt a division opponent up against the cap.

For what its worth, I think there are more than a few teams in the east that could manage an offer sheet, need a goaltender, can afford the 1st,2nd,3rd, and would want to stick it to Boston.

The only thing I can think of keeping teams from doing this is reprisal offer sheets.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
For what its worth, I think there are more than a few teams in the east that could manage an offer sheet, need a goaltender, can afford the 1st,2nd,3rd, and would want to stick it to Boston.

The only thing I can think of keeping teams from doing this is reprisal offer sheets.

I think for the offer sheet to work they'd have to go much higher and that means a better picks package.

GMs worried about reprisal or upsetting their buddies should be fired. I hate it. It's a tool they refuse to use. Bad management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad