Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Calgary and San Jose have 2 of the best young goalies on the planet. lol Utah has no money
Utah has no money? they are 9+ mil under with a 24 man roster on Capwages....and hae Weber and his 7.75 mil dead cap. They could have 10+ mil easily...8/80 if they wanted.

I wonder who Calgary fans would rather have, Jeremy Swayman and Dustin Wolf or Daniel Vladar and Dustin Wolf? Tough decision for sure...until you regain consciousness.

Think San Jose would love a Swayman (25) and Askarov (22) for the next decade? I'm sure their fans would frown at that.

The fact that you would honestly think a team would not want Swayman because they have a unproven rookie prospect that's highly rated is true comedy gold. and shows some in this fanbase are truly delusional on Swayman now. I mean didn't Nashville just chose the 30 year old Jusse Saros over the very same Askarov?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I also want to know why I haven't seen one person call Elias Lindholm or Nikita Zadorov selfish. Why is an overpriced free agent deal not some sort of personal failing worthy of scorn but Jeremy Swayman is a selfish dickhead? Why didn't Lindholm or Zadorov sign for a lot less? Why didn't they take team friendly deals? What teh f*** have they ever done for the Boston Bruins? Jeremy Swayman has done a shit ton, but he's the bad guy and they're swell fellas?

"Well, they were free agents and he's restricted."

If they cared about winning they wouldn't have handicapped the Bs with these high-priced deals, right? Or does that only go one (s)way when we want to shit all over a talented homegrown kid who has never given us a reason to root against him?
It's actually pretty incredible to me considering we generally overrate the hell out of our homegrown guys.

Get a couple shiny new toys and it's time to toss out the old ones

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
It’s not selfish it’s just stupid. Swayman is about to earn zero dollars for a season where he’d be odds on favorite to win the Vezina. Just because his agent got huge deals out of other teams doesn’t mean it will work with the Bruins.

We blinked with Pasternak and McAvoy because we didn’t think we could possibly replace either. Swayman is clearly different.

I’d give him the deal he wants we have the cap room. But if it doesn’t happen Bussi and Korpisalo with money for a first line forward instead of Sway and then some picks might be ok. Or Linus on a team friendly seal next summer lol. Those options are a lot better than say replacing Pasternaks 50 goals during training camp.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
It’s been proven that good teams can win without the best goalie, in fact the last time a Vezina winner was in the Cup finals was 2011.

It would be best if we can sign him for a reasonable price though

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It’s not selfish it’s just stupid. Swayman is about to earn zero dollars for a season where he’d be odds on favorite to win the Vezina. Just because his agent got huge deals out of other teams doesn’t mean it will work with the Bruins.

We blinked with Pasternak and McAvoy because we didn’t think we could possibly replace either. Swayman is clearly different.

I’d give him the deal he wants we have the cap room. But if it doesn’t happen Bussi and Korpisalo with money for a first line forward instead of Sway and then some picks might be ok. Or Linus on a team friendly seal next summer lol. Those options are a lot better than say replacing Pasternaks 50 goals during training camp.
If he's the odds on favorite to win the Vezina, then maybe he deserves to be paid like it.

What 1st line forward do you imagine getting?

How much do you think Ullmark would cost next summer as a UFA? The idea of signing Ullmark 7 yrs x 8m instead of Swayman, after trading Ullmark away may be one of the strangest ideas I've seen here.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
It’s been proven that good teams can win without the best goalie, in fact the last time a Vezina winner was in the Cup finals was 2011.

It would be best if we can sign him for a reasonable price though
Didn't Bobrovsky win a Vezina with Columbus?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I also want to know why I haven't seen one person call Elias Lindholm or Nikita Zadorov selfish. Why is an overpriced free agent deal not some sort of personal failing worthy of scorn but Jeremy Swayman is a selfish dickhead? Why didn't Lindholm or Zadorov sign for a lot less? Why didn't they take team friendly deals? What teh f*** have they ever done for the Boston Bruins? Jeremy Swayman has done a shit ton, but he's the bad guy and they're swell fellas?

"Well, they were free agents and he's restricted."

If they cared about winning they wouldn't have handicapped the Bs with these high-priced deals, right? Or does that only go one (s)way when we want to shit all over a talented homegrown kid who has never given us a reason to root against him?

Blows my mind Free agent 30 year old center getting almost $8m and a career 3rd pairing D for $5m.

But our 25 year old all-star goalie, who was our best player in the playoff by a wide margin doesn’t deserve $8m

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Blows my mind Free agent 30 year old center getting almost $8m and a career 3rd pairing D for $5m.

But our 25 year old all-star goalie, who was our best player in the playoff by a wide margin doesn’t deserve $8m
All the reasons have been explained to you why that is. Its kind of up to you to figure it out now.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Didn't Bobrovsky win a Vezina with Columbus?
Yeah he's saying the Vezina winner hasn't played in a final the year they won the Cup. But that's a pretty arbitrary distinction.

Vas
Price
Fleury
Bob

all won Vezinas and Cups and to say that you don't need to a top flight goalie because the year they won the Cup they didn't win the Vezina is odd. But it's hysterical that in April everyone was picking BOS over FLA because Swayman was a better goalie than Bob....

and now we are saying "Well akshully goaltending isn't that important!!!"

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
All the reasons have been explained to you why that is. Its kind of up to you to figure it out now.
Not really. The reason given "You have to overpay for UFAs!!" is saying the reality of how the market works. But it in no way makes the argument that a team is smart to do that in general nor in the specific case of Lindholm.

It wasn’t that long ago that Korpisalo was a mid 20s best player on a second round exit playoff team and people are stroking out over paying him 3m…
It was even more recent that he was the worst goalie in the league.

Reactions: LSCII

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Not really. The reason given "You have to overpay for UFAs!!" is saying the reality of how the market works. But it in no way makes the argument that a team is smart to do that in general nor in the specific case of Lindholm.

It was even more recent that he was the worst goalie in the league.
Almost like goaltenders in general are a volatile bunch. Hell, Bobrovsky hadn’t broke a .913 sv% for the panthers until last year as one of the highest paid netminders in the league. A .001% difference than what Korpisalo put up the year before he joined Ottawa.

Reactions: Bodit9

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Yeah he's saying the Vezina winner hasn't played in a final the year they won the Cup. But that's a pretty arbitrary distinction.

Vas
Price
Fleury
Bob

all won Vezinas and Cups and to say that you don't need to a top flight goalie because the year they won the Cup they didn't win the Vezina is odd. But it's hysterical that in April everyone was picking BOS over FLA because Swayman was a better goalie than Bob....

Not really what I said at all, I said I hope they sign him.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
If the bruins miss the playoffs it’s almost guaranteed he will lose his job, with that said I don’t think they will miss the playoffs. There is just too sizable of a gap right now with the bottom half the league

Only needed 91 points to make the playoffs last year in the east.

Though I do believe going from swayman/Ullmark to korpisalo/bussi would drop us from 109 to the mid to high 90s in point total
They dropped 26 points with Ullmark \Swayman. Granted it was from an all time 135 but going with Korpisalo they will drop another 15 and that may find them looking outside the PO this year.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Vas
Price
Fleury
Bob

Price never won a cup .

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Utah has no money? they are 9+ mil under with a 24 man roster on Capwages....and hae Weber and his 7.75 mil dead cap. They could have 10+ mil easily...8/80 if they wanted.

I wonder who Calgary fans would rather have, Jeremy Swayman and Dustin Wolf or Daniel Vladar and Dustin Wolf? Tough decision for sure...until you regain consciousness.

Think San Jose would love a Swayman (25) and Askarov (22) for the next decade? I'm sure their fans would frown at that.

The fact that you would honestly think a team would not want Swayman because they have a unproven rookie prospect that's highly rated is true comedy gold. and shows some in this fanbase are truly delusional on Swayman now. I mean didn't Nashville just chose the 30 year old Jusse Saros over the very same Askarov?

ok let’s say SJ or CGY make an offersheet offer that the Bruins wouldn’t match. A 7x8m deal would cost them two firsts, a 2nd and a 3rd. You really think those teams would give up two potential high lottery picks? And, if they would, I mean, don’t the Bruins come out winners there?

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Nope thats not what he said either.

Swayman was awarded a one-year, $3.48-million contract in arbitration last year. As a restricted free agent again in 2024, Swayman's in prime position for a bigger deal. He emerged as the Bruins' No. 1 netminder last season, and Boston, which currently has over $8 million in cap space, traded goaltender Linus Ullmark over the summer.

"And the answer I'm going to give you this year is that I've educated myself and that I understand the business side of it all," Swayman added. "It's given me a complete new mindset of understanding the business and how to react to it. I understand the cap is going up, and where it will be in years. I understand my comparables, and how I can't ruin the goalie market for other guys that are going to be in my shoes down the line."

He said he doesn't want to ruin the goalie market. So hes saying he doesn't want to take a hometown discount because he feels it will put pressure on other goalies to also take hometowns discounts when their organization says " well swayman took a hometown discount".
If he understands his comparables, he must realize his AAV is likely in the $6M-$8M range depending on length?

Reactions: PeanutButter37

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
They dropped 26 points with Ullmark \Swayman. Granted it was from an all time 135 but going with Korpisalo they will drop another 15 and that may find them looking outside the PO this year.

Ok but this assumes Swayman sits out the whole year, which would be insane for his agent to push. If Swayman sits out until 12/1 the Bruins will have played 25 games. They ain’t gonna lose 15 points in 25 games, come on.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad