Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
It is very difficult to see the signing of Korpisalo as anything other than a vote of no confidence in Bussi. Which is not to say there's no hope for him in Boston, but he's going to battling uphill to earn a spot. There's no way the Bruins acquired Joonas and his $3 mil cap hit to stick him in Providence. Barring injury, he's going to get first crack alongside Sway which means waivers for Bussi. If he clears, then yeah maybe he can fight his way up from the AHL, if not he can try his luck elsewhere. Basically at this point Sweeney is prepared to lose him.
A clear disagreement then.

In my view, there is no way the Bruins will allow Brandon Bussi on waivers, as he would surely be claimed.

That's about all I can say. Again, I do not understand the waiver situation, numbers blah f***ing blah.

But if I could, I would do as outlined previously.

Last edited:

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Unfortunately if and when he signs it won’t end this debate from the seventh circle of hell. There will be a bunch of liking the contract or hating it.
1. I love the AAV but hate the term..... imagine letting him test free agency that early in his career...boy the management f'd this up...fire Sweeney...milk carton harvard degree
2. I love the term but the AAV is crippling our team.... can't believe Sweeney caved in ...the man should be fired ....and then rehired and fired again the next day
3. Term and AAV are great...Sway is such a team player, taking a haircut with those Stats and experience....god bless him! Saint Sway!
4. WTF? Really? No way is he as good as X, Y Z...this better age well ...Sweeney is on a short F'ing leash now ..term and AAV too long and too high..wtf was Sweeney smoking? Crystal Sway?
5. Still holding out? Trade the bum, Korpse and Bus have this and we have $7.5 million in cap space to address or 2nd line wing needs ....a good defense is a good offense

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

In my view, there is no way the Bruins will allow Brandon Bussi on waivers, as he would surely be claimed.

That's about all I can say. Again, I do not understand the waiver situation, numbers blah f***ing blah.

I'm not sure he would. What team is going to waive their backup for a 26 year old guy who hasn't played in the NHL? He had the 22nd best GAA in the AHL of guys who played enough to qualify. He was 13th in SV%. His numbers last year were no better than TOR prospect Dennis Hildeby (who is 3 years younger) or SEA property Ales Stezka (who is 1 year older than Bussi).

All it takes is one team to make a claim, but I think there's a decent chance he goes unclaimed.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I'm not sure he would. What team is going to waive their backup for a 26 year old guy who hasn't played in the NHL? He had the 22nd best GAA in the AHL of guys who played enough to qualify. He was 13th in SV%. His numbers last year were no better than TOR prospect Dennis Hildeby (who is 3 years younger) or SEA property Ales Stezka (who is 1 year older than Bussi).

All it takes is one team to make a claim, but I think there's a decent chance he goes unclaimed.
OMG we actually agree.

Bussi has taken on a Michael Bishop aura around here

Reactions: DKH

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
No idea of this is legit at all...

Sorry...wasn't sure of who the guy was when I posted it here.

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Sweeney brought in Ullmark rather than counting on Vladar. Figure Korpisalo is a similar move.

Reactions: Bruins4Lifer

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
then trade him. Makes zero sense to want to go 4 years then 8 years after, not even counting the fact 4 is ridiculous at this point for Swayman to take. Do 8 now. You won't have those final garbage years like they will with Lindholm and Lindholm. I know you are fully in favor of 8/64 and to me that would get it done IMO

It keeps being repeated to you that the other comps for Swayman at this stage in his career (Saros, Helly, Demko, Shesterkin) all took 4-6 year deals and yes you keep repeating this. Its truly mind numbing.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Brad Marchand didn't sign his first non-ELC deal until 2 days before training camp.
And he signed his 2nd a year early. And he signed his 1st UFA contract a year early. And he'll sign his last contract well before training camp next year.

All of which to say is that someone saying "Contracts ONLY get signed if there is a pressure of a deadline" is wrong.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

You know more than me.

All I am saying is that he is young, - shall I say again, cheap - and reasonably proficient.

I believe a guy like that gets claimed. The risk is minimal. The price is right.

IF JK proves worthy as a backup to Swayman, great.

If he can get his game back in Providence, and do well as a backup in Boston, that's another conversation.

But I don't believe the Bruins will let Bussi go for a song on waivers.

Two cents.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
And he signed his 2nd a year early. And he signed his 1st UFA contract a year early. And he'll sign his last contract well before training camp next year.

All of which to say is that someone saying "Contracts ONLY get signed if there is a pressure of a deadline" is wrong.
IMG_3681.jpeg

You emphasized ONLY but this is what I said.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I think it's possible that Bussi would be claimed, but not probable. I'm not sure he's shown enough to have too many interested parties. But of course it only takes one.

My take is Sweeney would like to keep him, because he is a solid option for Providence and to have around should something go wrong in Boston. But he's not going to bury JK to do it. Don will simply take his chances with waivers, see if Bussi clears, and then deal with it as necessary if he doesn't.

My personal opinion is that, while I would have preferred that Korpisalo wasn't signed in the first place, now that he's here the Bruins just have to roll with it and see what they can make of him. You don't put a 30-year-old on $5 mil in the AHL for re-tooling - he has nothing of value he can learn down there - rather you let him play with the big boys and see if he sinks or swims. Bussi has some talent and potential, but end of the day his stats to date are no more than ok. I don't believe he's done enough to warrant moving from the opening roster a guy who, whatever his faults, is a nearly 10-year NHL veteran on decent coin. You start with the vet and go from there.

I respect that you see it differently, but I am 99% certain that, whatever you or I think, Bussi's getting waived.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I’ve asked this before… What contract would you be UNhappy with? Consider term and AAV.

For me, it used to be anything less than eight years. Any realistic AAV was going to be fine with me. Now? Now I’m concerned that the cap hit will be north of reasonable and I’ve become open to the idea of a medium-term contract.

<3 years I will be critical of (unless somehow it’s quite cheap)

And any cap hit that necessitates moving a player or running a skeleton crew to make the cap work this season.

Anything inside of those parameters, I should be happy with. Should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad