Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I've got nothing new and nothing on what the contract would look like. The Bruins are as tight lipped as Wally's finger on the ban button. If you message anyone on the Bruins asking about it, all you get is a 👀

My guess? If you don't hear before the Sweeney presser today, then it's not happening today. That's my hunch.

Y'all are gonna know before me. I have a day filled with intrusive medical tests starting in the next hour with no access to the internet. So the first thing I will do when I can is check here for a signing. Or not.
Good Luck!

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
They did get the 2022-23 Vezina winner. Sweeney did pull a Houdini though and someone turned 2 vezina caliber goalies into zero at camp today.
A painful observation....which unfortunately for Bruins fans is dead on

I was at the last game of the season where the crowd was chanting Swayman, Swayman...boy have we come a long way since then.

Knowing who Sway has as an agent and also knowing the rough feelings from the arbitration hearing, Sweeney then proceeded to trade away a major negotiating chip (and at a bargain price) BEFORE having a deal agreed to with Sway.

I am by and large a Sweeney supporter but this has not been his finest hour. The comment of signing Sway by the December deadline brings up images of Nylander who signed 45 minutes before he would have sat out the entire season.

So many good vibes heading into training camp have now been displaced by a contract impasse that should not have happened.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I’ll see you Sunday?

I wouldn’t be to upset about Swayman not signed - yet

The Dec 1 was a classic troll line

Little last minute gamesmanship here between a couple of foils
Yep. Sunday!

I am not worried about Sway...I wish they could have kept Linus one more season.

Reactions: Sieve77

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Here's to hoping Goalie Bob can successfully rehabilitate another goaltender for the Bruins :cheers:

Sure, I want Swayman signed but more importantly I want the Bruins to win with whoever is in net for them. It's not Korpisalo's fault that Sweeney took on his contract. Now it looks like he'll be the starter until Swayman signs his deal so for now I'm on the Korpisalo train. 🚆

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
How long did Nylander sit out before his 2nd contract with Gross as his agent? More importantly how much extra cap space will we bank by Dec 1st if Sway signs for $8.5 on Dec 1? Might come in handy come trade deadline to address needs. It also gives 2 months of Korpse and Bussi sinking or swimming which will turn the tides of negotiation one way or the other if it gets that far. If both Korpse and Bussi look good, then we might be able to ditch Korpse and his contract for an asset and cap space. I prefer to see Sway sign before the start of the season but there are a few silver linings if he doesn't.

Nylander is a skilled forward so sitting out won't really hurt him. Swayman could be the opposite. Raycroft wasn't great post lockout and Dafoe never was dominant again

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don't understand this connection people keep trying to make.

Sweeney could pay Swayman what he's asking right now. He just won't, because he hasn't earned it. It has nothing to do with Korpisalo.

And yes, Korpisalo is overpaid for his performance but we got a first round pick as part of the compensation to overpay him. That's common practice in the NHL. Is someone going to give us a draft pick to overpay Swayman?

What are we considering an overpay for a 25 year old nhl all star goalie who was just our best player by a significant margin in the playoffs?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
All this angst and hand wringing wouln't be happening if people would stop hanging on every word a supposed insider or media hack (WEEI) tweets out. These rumors are just that and they come from the player, agent and some are just flat out made up.

You will never hear the Bruins discuss contract negotiations unless absolutely forced to. They are locked down like Ft. Knox.

To quote Leon Haywood (and Marvin Gaye) and my 9th grade history teacher: "Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear."

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
All this angst and hand wringing wouln't be happening if people would stop hanging on every word a supposed insider or media hack (WEEI) tweets out. These rumors are just that and they come from the player, agent and some are just flat out made up.

You will never hear the Bruins discuss contract negotiations unless absolutely forced to. They are locked down like Ft. Knox.

To quote Leon Haywood and my 9th grade history teacher: "Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear."
I don't really pay attention to many but I do to Ty and Dom and one (I don't remember which) said it would be done yesterday or today.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I don't really pay attention to many but I do to Ty and Dom and one (I don't remember which) said it would be done yesterday or today.
Neither said that. Ty hinted their may be news and if you read his article he said the talks are progressing with Swayman and it looks like there may be a Monty extension coming sooner rather than later which Sweeney acknowledged both today.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Nylander is a skilled forward so sitting out won't really hurt him. Swayman could be the opposite. Raycroft wasn't great post lockout and Dafoe never was dominant again

Razor wasn't really good before the lockout either. Going into his career year and winning the Calder he had a 2.78 GAA / 0.899 SV% in 21 NHL games. Even in the AHL he was barley supporting a .900 SV% pre-lockout. I'm not even sure how Dafoe fits in here. He was 33yrs old when the lockout happened and never played in the NHL again.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour

To quote Leon Haywood and my 9th grade history teacher: "Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear."
Leon Haywood???:huh:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
How long did Nylander sit out before his 2nd contract with Gross as his agent? More importantly how much extra cap space will we bank by Dec 1st if Sway signs for $8.5 on Dec 1? Might come in handy come trade deadline to address needs. It also gives 2 months of Korpse and Bussi sinking or swimming which will turn the tides of negotiation one way or the other if it gets that far. If both Korpse and Bussi look good, then we might be able to ditch Korpse and his contract for an asset and cap space. I prefer to see Sway sign before the start of the season but there are a few silver linings if he doesn't.
If he does not sign until December, the question will still remain, can he carry the load.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
Good thing I was told not to worry about Sweengenius getting Swayman signed.

It's Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown. The names change ( except Darth Jacobs) but the story always remains the same with the penny pinching Bruins. Sinden's DNA must be embedded in this team.
with how tight lipped boston has been, i don't know how anyone can be certain this a sweeney/boston issue more than swayman. im not saying its a swayman f*** up either but blaming this solely on don seems like personal bias

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Neither said that. Ty hinted their may be news and if you read his article he said the talks are progressing with Swayman and it looks like there may be a Monty extension coming sooner rather than later which Sweeney acknowledged both today.
An agent for one Bruins player, who would be directly effected by Swayman signing, says he expects it tonight or tomorrow

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Well… Now I feel shitty about it.

Been confident the entire time. But now I’m… hesitant.
I suspect:

If Linus is still in town we’d have the following (Sweeney to Agent/Swayman to Agent): Tell him to take his time so he is comfortable. We’ll hold the fort until he’s ready. / Get a deal signed yesterday.

Now that Linus is not in town: He’ll sign by December 1st right? Please? / Let’s see how the first few weeks of the season play out. We have plenty of time.

The prospect of Korpisalo stealing a job from Swayman is not intimidating him one bit. And nor should it.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
1726683188690.png

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Guys is awfully arrogant for never winning it all as a GM. One of the writers should sack up and ask him why he treats people like Belichick without the rings when he gets questions he doesn't like
You can take the boy out of Harvard, but you can't take the Harvard out of the boy. The unfounded arrogance is insane to me. The guy acts like the smartest dude in the room and he's won exactly jackshit.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
Guys is awfully arrogant for never winning it all as a GM. One of the writers should sack up and ask him why he treats people like Belichick without the rings when he gets questions he doesn't like
i don't get this whining - would you rather he beg swayman to sign for 10mil at the podium or should he try to do a good job and get the best deal for the bruins? sometimes being shrewd isn't easy and it's bizarre watching fans wring their hands over a dude who clearly wants the team to be good.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
For me he's the perfect example of someone whose work (as GM) I respect, but as a person I really don't like.

Reactions: Look Up

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
i don't get this whining - would you rather he beg swayman to sign for 10mil at the podium or should he try to do a good job and get the best deal for the bruins? sometimes being shrewd isn't easy and it's bizarre watching fans wring their hands over a dude who clearly wants the team to be good.
I think the issue is that Sweeney looks at every negotiation like he's the hammer and the player is the nail, and treats it as such, to the point of bad feelings and contentiousness. It's unnecessary.

• Haha
Reactions: BBruins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad