Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
They could play with a 22 man roster and have up to 600k in cap space, depending on who they send down to the AHL. And they could bank even more by sending 2 waiver exempt players to the AHL on off days.

Still not an ideal situation.

Surely Swayman could take less money in the first year ($6 or $7 mil) of the contract to make things easier.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The NHL has yet to release how many days will actually be in the season (longer this year because of the 4 nations tournament) and how many days remain after trade deadline, the rough estimation is that for every $50,000 in cap space they have, it will equal about $240,000 in trade deadline cap space. Not to bum you out, but Milan Lucic's bonus overage cost them $240,000 in deadline cap space.

By my math and based on what I think a 22-man roster would look like, Swayman can sign for a maximum of $9,348,332 cap hit.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The NHL has yet to release how many days will actually be in the season (longer this year because of the 4 nations tournament) and how many days remain after trade deadline, the rough estimation is that for every $50,000 in cap space they have, it will equal about $240,000 in trade deadline cap space. Not to bum you out, but Milan Lucic's bonus overage cost them $240,000 in deadline cap space.

By my math and based on what I think a 22-man roster would look like, Swayman can sign for a maximum of $9,348,332 cap hit.

WOW!

He's not going to get close to that, is he?

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY

So if he signs at $8.5m that would leave just enough cap space to fit one PTO player on the roster at league minimum?

Reactions: Kegs

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
So if he signs at $8.5m that would leave just enough cap space to fit one PTO player on the roster at league minimum?
If they are going with a 22 man roster, it means that they'll have 1 extra D and 1 extra F.

There's a spot for either both Poitras and Lysell, which means that one of Jones/Beecher/Kastilic/Brazeua sits.

Or one of Poitras/Lysell makes it, and the PTO guy sits, or one of the 4 mentioned before sits

If the PTO guy is better now than both Lysell and Poitras, they go to the minors and you have someone like Letterieri/Tufte/Viel be your extra F.

A min. salary PTO guy will be cheaper than Lysell or Poitras, plus likely won't have bonuses like those rookies do that would reduce next year's cap.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
People need to ease up on the drama. Our very own captain held out until a week before the first preseason game in 2011. McAvoy held out until the day before in 2019, Pastrnak 4 days in 2017. Our entire leadership group has gone through this and all appear to have no hard feelings.
And those threads were exactly like this one.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
What if (hear me out):

The delay is that there are two types of deals on the table?

The first is something akin to the Saros deal. 8 by 8. Ish.

The second is a medium contract. Four years, $25M. Again, a rough estimate.

Advantages and disadvantages to both types of deal for both sides. Would you be happy with either? Neither? Preference?
Either but I prefer 8x8. Swayman seems special to me the longer the better.

There is definitely value in getting cap space in the shorter deal but the goalie market will likely put Swayman at 10+ in 4 years possibly up to 12 per year.

I lock this kid up because he’s special. Outside injury it’s all upside. I believe insurance covers the injury risk.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yes or no question: Do you think the front office's plan since last summer's arbitration hearing and going into the year was "Let's wait until September 2024 to sign Swayman"?

Simple yes or no.

I think their plan was for Swayman to cow to their wishes immediately

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
You know we are in a good place whenever the enemy jumps all over some measly scrap of news that looks mildly damaging. They’re not looking forward to facing Sway more with Zadorov and Lohrie a year older. We’ve seen this 100 times before. I walked into a get together last night - hadn’t seen these two in 10 years. Leaf fans…”hey, how’s it going? Too bad about Swayman”….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad