Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
The rationale would be that the Bruins wanted time to negotiate, or rather use time as a negotiating strategy. Patience can be useful in in negotiations. There’s pressure and anxiety when a deal isn’t done, especially on the player.

So yes, they probably started out far apart, and that’s when the Bruins decided they weren’t going to rush it. “Let’s use the time we have to negotiate as much as possible.”

If that is there plan, Hope Jeremy goes out and gets himself an offer sheet

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Seider & Raymomd aren’t signed in Detroit either

Most GM’s work 11 months

Guys like Yzerman & Sweeney deserve atleast August off to recharge their batteries because once Labor Day rolls around Sweens will be busy till first week of July without a break

And Yzerman will be busy till mid April

Relax folks. Raymond, Seider, and Sway will be playing somewhere in the Fall and probably on their current teams

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Do you pay MSRP for cars without attempting to negotiate? Cap space is precious, if they can get 500k AAV off by being patient why not
So they are willing to haggle with their cornerstone goaltender for the next 10 years.... but not with the OTT GM who convinced them to take a $3m sub-replacement level goalie?

Why weren't they willing to be patient with that deal? It could've saved them 500k off the AAV by getting OTT to retain more?

Seider & Raymomd aren’t signed in Detroit either

Most GM’s work 11 months

Guys like Yzerman & Sweeney deserve atleast August off to recharge their batteries because once Labor Day rolls around Sweens will be busy till first week of July without a break

And Yzerman will be busy till mid April

Relax folks. Raymond, Seider, and Sway will be playing somewhere in the Fall and probably on their current teams
So then why didn't they get a deal done in the 7 months before August? Apparently most GMs work 11 months, but some even less.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I only wish the people manufacturing the silly drama in here would have the ability to see how stupid it is to worry about this shit, but as the last two Pastrnak contracts show, the manufactured drama seems far more important than any post-hoc shame one may have for making a big deal over nothing.

Last edited:

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
What we are arguing about is the reason it's not done. I'm not sure if you are literally saying the reason is because of these scheduling issues, but if so that makes no sense.

Hughes signed Guhle to an extension on July 31. I'm shocked he wasn't spending his time packing for the Hlinka.
Ryan Lindgren and Dustin Wolf signed their new contracts on July 30. 2 more dumb GMs singing their players instead of scouting.
Jordan Spence signed his new contract with LA on Aug. 1.
5 2024 draft picks signed their first deals during the Hlinka.

And you are leaving out the whole 7 months before the Hlinka and Swayman's European Vacation that a deal could've gotten done.

So I'd say the issue isn't one of just busy schedules, if that is what you are saying the reason is. I think the reason a deal isn't done is because neither party is completely happy with what the other party wants.

So can we just agree that is the primary reason at the moment? It doesn't mean they won't compromise, because they will.
Can they carry a tune?

Reactions: Dr Quincy

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
So they are willing to haggle with their cornerstone goaltender for the next 10 years.... but not with the OTT GM who convinced them to take a $3m sub-replacement level goalie?

Why weren't they willing to be patient with that deal? It could've saved them 500k off the AAV by getting OTT to retain more?

So then why didn't they get a deal done in the 7 months before August? Apparently most GMs work 11 months, but some even less.
Didn’t Sweeney coin the phrase Dog Days of August

I don’t even know what that means. Hopefully HF esteemed poet laureate Gordon Howe can shed background on that since Donny is at the Hlinka tourney

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I’m sticking with 8/62 and announced first day of TC in the 100 th year of Bruins playing games

Donny & Cam got this

Reactions: jgatie

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
The fact he went to arbitration last season doesn't bother anyone? Not saying it should, but I will be happy when this is done.

Ehh I think the deal is getting done so I’m not worried. Not like Swayman is the last RFA I signed either.

I just imagine it’s left a bad taste in his mouth after last years arbitrations and this years drawn out process.

Though we are 45 days away from the first game of the year

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Ehh I think the deal is getting done so I’m not worried. Not like Swayman is the last RFA I signed either.

I just imagine it’s left a bad taste in his mouth after last years arbitrations and this years drawn out process.

Though we are 45 days away from the first game of the year
Yes. It's ok to say that this isn't going as smoothly as you'd hope but that a deal will almost certainly get done. Nobody is actually panicking.

Reactions: UncleRico

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Considering how this f***wit of a GM has wasted money of the year. Laughable they play hardball with the cornerstone player
Really? Is it really hardball or is Swayman's agent just greedy?

I love Swayman and I'm confident he will get signed but if you were GM would you really want to dump massive money and term on a guy who has never been a full time #1 starter? We don't know what the numbers are but if Swayman's agent is asking for every cent of remaining cap money (which I think he is) it's too much.

Swayman deserves a solid payday, but we can't let any one guy squeeze the team to the point they have trouble building a solid team around him.

Bruins committed to Swayman by trading Ullmark. Now it's time for Swayman to commit to the Bruins.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

I love Swayman and I'm confident he will get signed but if you were GM would you really want to dump massive money and term on a guy who has never been a full time #1 starter? We don't know what the numbers are but if Swayman's agent is asking for every cent of remaining cap money (which I think he is) it's too much.

Swayman deserves a solid payday, but we can't let any one guy squeeze the team to the point they have trouble building a solid team around him.

Bruins committed to Swayman by trading Ullmark. Now it's time for Swayman to commit to the Bruins.

Yeah, who needs an elite goalie. Lets make sure there is enough money for hte next Charlie Coyle!

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
1000000332.gif

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

You can call Swayman's agent greedy, but his job is to get his client as much as possible, and Swayman can always step in and say that is enough, I want to play, and if he sits out to long that is money he will never regain, even after he signs. You can say that the Bruins showed commitment by moving Ullmark, my short sighted business opinion that it was a stupid move, unless there was some sort of agreed to terms and no signature on the paper and someone decided to change the terms after the deal was made for Ullmark, might be a little conspirator from me might, but..........
You are right about his payday, again but..............

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Well hear me out here, in order to get a 2024 1st round pick from the Senators, wouldn't you kind of have to get the trade done before the 2024 draft? Can only be patient for so long in that case, whereas they don't really need a Swayman deal until camp starts.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Yeah, who needs an elite goalie. Lets make sure there is enough money for hte next Charlie Coyle!
Pretty big overreaction.

I would remind you however that Vegas won the cup with an AHL net minder. The whole team matters, and if you overpay in any one place you suffer in another.

You can call Swayman's agent greedy, but his job is to get his client as much as possible, and Swayman can always step in and say that is enough, I want to play, and if he sits out to long that is money he will never regain, even after he signs. You can say that the Bruins showed commitment by moving Ullmark, my short sighted business opinion that it was a stupid move, unless there was some sort of agreed to terms and no signature on the paper and someone decided to change the terms after the deal was made for Ullmark, might be a little conspirator from me might, but..........
You are right about his payday, again but..............
That's exactly why I think it is fine though. At the end Swayman will step in and tell his agent to get it done. Right now he's just living and preparing and letting his agent do the negotiating. Swayman isn't thinking about it at all. I could be wrong, but I think in the end they will meet in the middle and get it done.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The reason Swayman isn’t signed yet is because both Sweeney and Swayman’s agent are doing their jobs in trying to get the best possible deal for their respective employers. People need to calm the f*** down.

Sweeney has no leverage, other than time. So he’s using what he has.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
The reason Swayman isn’t signed yet is because both Sweeney and Swayman’s agent are doing their jobs in trying to get the best possible deal for their respective employers. People need to calm the f*** down.

Sweeney has no leverage, other than time. So he’s using what he has.
Why though? Why look for leverage on your franchise goalie? Why not be proactive like Seattle on Beniers and not be like Yzerman or Nill on their young core pieces?

Maybe Sweeney is and Swayman isn't in a rush? I don't know, just seems silly especially after the hard feelings last year.

Reactions: Pia8988

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Why though? Why look for leverage on your franchise goalie? Why not be proactive like Seattle on Beniers and not be like Yzerman or Nill on their young core pieces?

Maybe Sweeney is and Swayman isn't in a rush? I don't know, just seems silly especially after the hard feelings last year.
Because that’s his job…..He’s trying to work as favorable a deal for the Bruins as he can and there’s little down side in using time to his advantage. Swayman will be signed before the end of the first week of camp. Both parties know that.

People are overblowing the alleged “hard feelings from last year” theme. This is a business. He was treated no differently than any other player in that situation. Swayman gets that, and he also knows he has the stronger hand. Sweeney knows it too.

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Pretty big overreaction.

I would remind you however that Vegas won the cup with an AHL net minder. The whole team matters, and if you overpay in any one place you suffer in another.

That's exactly why I think it is fine though. At the end Swayman will step in and tell his agent to get it done. Right now he's just living and preparing and letting his agent do the negotiating. Swayman isn't thinking about it at all. I could be wrong, but I think in the end they will meet in the middle and get it done.
I know the argument is many contracts get signed at training camp, Pasta being one example, but I believe this situation is different when you trade your leverage away before Swayman is signed, I think gets a big F for this situation, he failed miserably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad