Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
luluwpp.gif

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Get it done already. The longer this goes on the greater the chance of more bad blood developing between Swayman & the team.

Five Hole

The puck stops here.
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2004
Southern New England
This is a nothing burger, no more than Ho Hum...

Same thing when Pasta was negotiating, this place was a cesspool of negativity, and then he signed, and all the negativity was for nothing.

The organization and the player are all saying this is not a big deal...translation...this is not a big deal.

</end rant>

Please feel free to go back to your worry, concern and negativity.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Get it done already. The longer this goes on the greater the chance of more bad blood developing between Swayman & the team.

There was even a drop of bad blood, it would have come out already. Swayman just said he feels confident they'll get a deal done. He's going about his off-season like he's already got the contract done, so clearly he isn't worried.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Didn’t a few people say it was going to happen around September. Still a few more weeks
Yeah the same people who said it would be happen around the draft, then after the Hlinka tournament.

I don't see a rationale for the team and player to get it done in September as opposed to January or March or June or August.

Again, I'm completely confident that this will get done eventually, but the idea that the front office planned it to get done in September makes zero sense unless someone can explain why that would have any positive impact.

What's likely: the parties started off far apart, have gotten closer and are pretty close but not in agreement on everything yet.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Yeah the same people who said it would be happen around the draft, then after the Hlinka tournament.

I don't see a rationale for the team and player to get it done in September as opposed to January or March or June or August.

Again, I'm completely confident that this will get done eventually, but the idea that the front office planned it to get done in September makes zero sense unless someone can explain why that would have any positive impact.

What's likely: the parties started off far apart, have gotten closer and are pretty close but not in agreement on everything yet.
Right. Best case scenario, by this point they have agreed to an AAV (I still go with $9M if long term) and years, and are negotiating the trade protection and bonus structure.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Who said it was happening after the Hlinka?

I remember a lot of people saying it wouldn't happen before.

Iguess technically they are right.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Who said it was happening after the Hlinka?

I remember a lot of people saying it wouldn't happen before.

Iguess technically they are right.
So if it wasn't happening before, then that means it's happening after (or I guess you could say during).

And why would the team say "Hey let's not sign Swayman now, let's do it sometime after a bunch of 17 year olds have an exhibition tournament. We'll get to it after that at some point."

There's no strategic reason why the contract isn't done. The only reason it isn't done is because they don't have an agreement.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So if it wasn't happening before, then that means it's happening after (or I guess you could say during).

And why would the team say "Hey let's not sign Swayman now, let's do it sometime after a bunch of 17 year olds have an exhibition tournament. We'll get to it after that at some point."

There's no strategic reason why the contract isn't done. The only reason it isn't done is because they don't have an agreement.

Well ya. That's like saying the goal didn't count because the puck didn't go in the goal.

I don't think there is any strategy for it taking this long. Its just negotiating the complexity of a long term deal. Its not a simple years and money. You have how much of a deal is signing bonus vs salary. Are there performance bonuses? What are those bonuses and do both parties agree to them? is there a NMC? NTC? how many teams can be on the players NTC for a given year.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Well ya. That's like saying the goal didn't count because the puck didn't go in the goal.

I don't think there is any strategy for it taking this long. Its just negotiating the complexity of a long term deal. Its not a simple years and money. You have how much of a deal is signing bonus vs salary. Are there performance bonuses? What are those bonuses and do both parties agree to them? is there a NMC? NTC? how many teams can be on the players NTC for a given year.
Just FYI, there can't be performance bonuses. I'd add lockout protection to your list though.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

He's not eligible for performance bonuses, just a signing bonus.

But there have been some who have suggested a deal is really done they are just waiting to announce it for some unknown reason. Or they WOULD have a deal done but it's just that Sweeney is on vacation. Which.... I don't think is a defense I'd want to argue.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
The fact he went to arbitration last season doesn't bother anyone? Not saying it should, but I will be happy when this is done.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He's not eligible for performance bonuses, just a signing bonus.

But there have been some who have suggested a deal is really done they are just waiting to announce it for some unknown reason. Or they WOULD have a deal done but it's just that Sweeney is on vacation. Which.... I don't think is a defense I'd want to argue.

Is it anyone with actual inside information or just random posters on the board?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Of course it's not done because it's not done.

Is anyone arguing that?

Everyone in the organization was in Edmonton for the Hlinka. And Swayman was in Europe. It's a given it wasn't going to happen then.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Of course it's not done because it's not done.

Is anyone arguing that?

Everyone in the organization was in Edmonton for the Hlinka. And Swayman was in Europe. It's a given it wasn't going to happen then.
What we are arguing about is the reason it's not done. I'm not sure if you are literally saying the reason is because of these scheduling issues, but if so that makes no sense.

Hughes signed Guhle to an extension on July 31. I'm shocked he wasn't spending his time packing for the Hlinka.
Ryan Lindgren and Dustin Wolf signed their new contracts on July 30. 2 more dumb GMs singing their players instead of scouting.
Jordan Spence signed his new contract with LA on Aug. 1.
5 2024 draft picks signed their first deals during the Hlinka.

And you are leaving out the whole 7 months before the Hlinka and Swayman's European Vacation that a deal could've gotten done.

So I'd say the issue isn't one of just busy schedules, if that is what you are saying the reason is. I think the reason a deal isn't done is because neither party is completely happy with what the other party wants.

So can we just agree that is the primary reason at the moment? It doesn't mean they won't compromise, because they will.

Reactions: RoccoF14

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I imagine zero GMs are not prioritizing the signing of their starting goalie over a tournament. Let alone, you are allowed to do two thing at once.

It's not done because the Bruins are probably trying to squeeze either money or term out of Swayman

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
It's getting to the point I am pissed about Sweeney not signing Swagman. He is a cornerstone goalie - who is young and earned his position. That's when you PAY THE DAMN MAN.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

The same people? Who would these same people be? You're sure it's not different people with different opinions?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
What we are arguing about is the reason it's not done. I'm not sure if you are literally saying the reason is because of these scheduling issues, but if so that makes no sense.

Hughes signed Guhle to an extension on July 31. I'm shocked he wasn't spending his time packing for the Hlinka.
Ryan Lindgren and Dustin Wolf signed their new contracts on July 30. 2 more dumb GMs singing their players instead of scouting.
Jordan Spence signed his new contract with LA on Aug. 1.
5 2024 draft picks signed their first deals during the Hlinka.

And you are leaving out the whole 7 months before the Hlinka and Swayman's European Vacation that a deal could've gotten done.

So I'd say the issue isn't one of just busy schedules, if that is what you are saying the reason is. I think the reason a deal isn't done is because neither party is completely happy with what the other party wants.

So can we just agree that is the primary reason at the moment? It doesn't mean they won't compromise, because they will.
The rationale would be that the Bruins wanted time to negotiate, or rather use time as a negotiating strategy. Patience can be useful in in negotiations. There’s pressure and anxiety when a deal isn’t done, especially on the player.

So yes, they probably started out far apart, and that’s when the Bruins decided they weren’t going to rush it. “Let’s use the time we have to negotiate as much as possible.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad