Jeremy Roenick, Shea Weber and Pavel Datsyuk inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Mogilny is not a snub. The only way he gets in is if you’re playing the “can I think of anyone better than this terrible inductee” game. In reality he had 2 HHOF-relevant seasons and was otherwise not a genuine star in the league.

As soon as they give in on Mogilny, it’ll be on to the next weak candidate who is suddenly an outrageous snub even though we’re not talking about him at all yet.

I agree that AlMo was a bit of an underachiever compared to his talent, but he is also significant for defecting and for his international career.. he's in the triple gold club.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Weber over Mogilny is a joke.
I agree Mogilny should be in, but Weber had a far better career IMO. Basically a top 3 player at his position for 8 years, and top 5 for 12, top 10 his whole career. He should have multiple Norris trophies - had had about 8 years as good as Doughty's Norris winning year. Swap him and Lidstrom on those Wings teams and he'd be considered an all time great. Can't underestimate how bad those early Nash teams were. David Legwand was one of the best C's he played behind. I'd bet every GM in the league takes peak Weber to anchor a team over peak Mogilny.

Now, Roenick in over Mogilny is a fair complaint.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Mogilny:
  • Over PPG in his career
  • Olympic Gold
  • World Junior Gold
  • Stanley Cup
  • Led the league in goal scoring one season (76, tied with Selanne before the Rocket trophy existed)
  • Lady Byng trophy
  • 1000+ points
  • First Russian to be a captain in the NHL
  • 6x All Star + 2x Second Team
  • Higher goals per game than Crosby, Kovalchuk, and Selanne
  • First guy to ever defect from the USSR to play, which isn't nothing.

Hall of Fame Selection Committee:
  • *farting noises*

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I agree Mogilny should be in, but Weber had a far better career IMO. Basically a top 3 player at his position for 8 years, and top 5 for 12, top 10 his whole career. He should have multiple Norris trophies - had had about 8 years as good as Doughty's Norris winning year. Swap him and Lidstrom on those Wings teams and he'd be considered an all time great. Can't underestimate how bad those early Nash teams were. David Legwand was one of the best C's he played behind. I'd bet every GM in the league takes peak Weber to anchor a team over peak Mogilny.

Now, Roenick in over Mogilny is a fair complaint.
Did you seriously just compare Weber to lidstrom lol

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Weber is 10 times the player Lowe was, be real..
Better defensively, more physical, and if Weber played on those Oilers teams he gets 35 goals easy, and 75-80 points. All those years in Nash and no one today seems to understand how rare a player he was.

Reactions: Voight

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Well at least they added one 1000 pt. player to the HHoF...

Apparently playing for Original Six teams is the best way in.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Guess Weber making the HHOF now opens it up for Byfuglien. Just as many Norris', All-Star appearances, and has a Cup. And re-defined the position as one of the best of his era.
Yes exactly! ...Except for Buff has one 7th place Norris vote and Weber has a 7th place Norris vote. And a 2nd place Norris vote(smallest margin in voting history), a 2nd 2nd place Norris vote(2nd smallest margin in voting history), a 3rd place Norris vote, a 4th place Norris vote a 2nd place Norris vote a 6th place Norris vote, an 8th place Norris vote and a 10th place Norris vote.

Weber and Keith are more comparable than Buff.

He has a single messier award and a couple all-star nods...seems rather lackluster for a hall of fame.

Weber has 2,2,3,4,4,6,7,8,10. That's a decade of being one of the best defensemen in the league.
I think Roenick and Datsyuk aren't too arguable, but Shea Weber, while I think there is an argument that he should be considered doesn't scream 1st ballot right into the HOF to me.

How the hell did Weber get in?

Weber isn’t deserving imo
Weber doesn't belong.

Oh why am I bothering mentioning it, the bar is so low these days.

Datsyuk is deserving, the other two certainly aren't. Weber maybe in a weak year, what the hell did he ever win? I guess he was Keith's partner on the first pairing on a Gold Medal Canada team once.

Shea Weber the 1st ballot HoFer huh

200.webp

So what did Shea Weber do to be a HOFer?

HOF is a joke. No credibility.

Played in Canada

Weber has 5 top 5 Norris finishes and 9 top 10 finishes. If he didn't play his prime in Nashville he would have won one. He's comparable to Keith, just look at '13-14.

Weber is closer to winning 2 Norris trophies than some Norris winners or HHOFers. He deserves it.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Did you seriously just compare Weber to lidstrom lol
Not entirely, but he did have years that were, subjectively, better then Lidstrom. Lost the Norris by one vote, playing in Nashville, behind a significantly inferior team.

Question - you think Lidstrom has the same stat line and hardware playing in Nash all those years?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I'm not saying he isn't. I like Weber. He was one of the best d-men of his era and should have won a Norris. All I'm saying is like Lowe, he is getting in with seemingly less than standcout credentials. Suter will be similar.

If being one of the best defensemen of his era isn't good enough than the ship sailed a long, long time ago on the standard you believe they should be upholding.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Wow... JR finally gets in, eh?

He gets in because of big compiled goal and point totals like numerous other players (Ciccarelli, Gartner, Andreychuk, Turgeon etc).

But at least he was a big name in hockey and one of the better centres in the League for a bit. I think he would have been inducted sooner if not for his controversies. He was clearly the level of player that meets the standard for induction. Many seem to think that standard should be higher.
Right. Roenick was a great player. He has 500 goals and 1200 points. He scored 50+ goals twice. He was flashy and had a physical edge. Even though he didn't win a cup, he was a good playoff performer. He was good internationally. There are some knocks of course, but to me he is hall worthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: FMichael

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'm as big a Weber fan as there is and I admit I'm surprised by this. Stats are impressive but no Norris and no Cup. Maybe the two gold medals and being Captain of two teams helped.

Or maybe they are making it up to him for getting screwed out of the Norris twice.

But whatever, congrats to Shea, the first Preds draftee to make the Hall

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad