Jeff Skinner

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Some more completely BS arguments. Phil Kessel, a soft perimeter winger, has 3 Stanley Cups. Jonathan Marchessault, a soft tiny perimeter winger, was a playoff MVP. You are acting like a team only needs one and only kind of players to win the cup when it's not even close to the truth. Especially when we are talking about less than 4% of the cap.
Now Skinner is Kessel and Marchessault? It matters not who you compare Skinner with. He’s always going to be what he was. There won’t be some magical transformation. He will continue to be what has been for his career. And that’s not a guy who contributes to winning.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers trades so far are a bust. They lost speed and youth. They are slow, old and not as good as last years team. They aren't going anywhere this year with that D and Skinner.
They didn't really make many "trades" per se. They lost a couple of guys to free agency who are now being paid far more than they should have for the role we would have had them in. Foegele is one, and his speed is missed, but his inconsistency is not, and considering that we got J. Skinner for roughly the same price, I think we're fine. Losing Desharnais doesn't affect our team speed one bit. The McLeod trade hurts our team speed for sure, but that's really the only part of his game that we are missing so far. The real tough losses are the St. Louis offer sheets. Broberg is playing well, and we could sure use him on our 2nd pair right now. Holloway seems to be doing well, and losing his speed and physicality also hurts a lot. Really, we lost two guys that are really hurting the team a lot right now.

I think the guys we are missing the most right now are Cody Ceci and Evander Kane. I'm not sure what to expect of Kane when he returns from his injuries, but he will be a welcome addition for sure, even if he isn't a speedster either. I expect we will add another RD later in the year. I'm hoping they can sort out one of the depth RD that can fill in for Nurse as a stop gap. Stecher has played well so far, his only major downfall is his size, but if he can hold the fort down with Nurse until they can find a trade, then the team will be fine. I think most of the Oilers issues so far are not personnel based. They need to get their special teams going, and they need to figure out the defensive system that the coaches have in place. Overall, its way too early in the year to say that the Oilers aren't going anywhere. They had an awful start last year too. Losing games this early could affect playoff seeding a bit, but overall, there is time to work out the kinks.

• Haha
Reactions: thaman8765678

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Skinner has played quite well for the Oilers so far. The Oilers have played really well the last 2 games. If they keep playing like that and the goals and wins will come.

Last edited:
Reactions: VeteranPresence

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Now Skinner is Kessel and Marchessault? It matters not who you compare Skinner with. He’s always going to be what he was. There won’t be some magical transformation. He will continue to be what has been for his career. And that’s not a guy who contributes to winning.
This is a ridiculous take. The guy has been on bad teams up until this year. Carolina improved when he left, but they didn't improve BECAUSE he left, they improved because their young players took a big step forward. Buffalo has been Buffalo forever it feels like - a team with some good parts, but not good enough to build a playoff team around. If you had said that Skinner is a guy that isn't going to lead a team to the playoffs, I would agree with that, but he's playing a depth role for the Oilers. He's on our third line, we don't need him to be a leader in the locker room or do anything other than be a net positive on the ice.

Skinner has played quite well for the Oilers so far. The Oilers have played really well the last 2 games. They keep playing like that and the goals amd wins will come.
They didn't play bad against Dallas. Oettinger had a great game, and the Oilers forwards are still trying to find some chemistry. If they bury some chances instead of over-passing, the goals will come. Some consistency among the new blueliners will help too. There's time. It's too early to panic.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024

Attachments

• B.png
    B.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 1

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
One thing about Skinner, is that he's streaky AF. So I think we'll really need a full season to evaluate his performance through all the peaks and valleys. He's kind of a headcase.

I think he can succeed in a team where his role is to add 5v5 scoring to a line that would otherwise really struggle at that.

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
One thing about Skinner, is that he's streaky AF. So I think we'll really need a full season to evaluate his performance through all the peaks and valleys. He's kind of a headcase.

I think he can succeed in a team where his role is to add 5v5 scoring to a line that would otherwise really struggle at that.
Streaky and peaks and valleys. Very true about Skinner's game.

He is playing his best hockey when he is engaged in games (you'll know because he will irritate the other team and trash talk them). He is not so good - and not scoring - when he is disengaged in games (just quiet).

(Jeff Skinner to Max Domi: "you have no f**king teeth!"

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

I had interest in him simply because he will shoot the f***ing puck. He has a lot of warts but he is willing to take shots instead of going for fancy passing plays

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad