Player Discussion Jeff Skinner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Sabres fans, I'm curious to hear, what has been the biggest cause for Jeff's turnaround this season? Was it slotting him with Tage, shooting luck, health, or something else entirely? (Good to see that he's going from kicking pucks on net to being a 60 point guy and at least looking close to worth what he's getting [even if some posters above mentioned that his production doesn't lead to winning, but I digress]).
I think it has been the "good vibes".

Reactions: joshjull

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls
Sabres fans, I'm curious to hear, what has been the biggest cause for Jeff's turnaround this season? Was it slotting him with Tage, shooting luck, health, or something else entirely? (Good to see that he's going from kicking pucks on net to being a 60 point guy and at least looking close to worth what he's getting [even if some posters above mentioned that his production doesn't lead to winning, but I digress]).
Skinners resurgence has alot to do with both playing with Tage and Alex Tuch as well as Granatos system. That line has been our most consistent

I'm still not a fan of his contract but hes definitely no longer a bust

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

What everyone said already, but I’ll also add that he looks like the skater that he was in the year he had before his big contract. He still shoots a lot off the rush, but it’s now from in closer to the net.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
While rewatching the end of season games, I’d have to say Jeff Skinner was our best offensive player. Weird to say but I don’t think he’s getting enough credit for how well he did this past year

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He had a good season and will be a valuable part of this team next year.

The last 2-3 years of his contract may cause issues with all of the guys we need to re-sign. We can’t bridge everyone.

I think in June 2024 or 2025, you try and trade him at 50%, and probably still need to add assets.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I have always liked Jeff, and never regretted his being signed. Was it for a few mil per year to much? Probably, but to love Jeff you have to love him for what he is. He can give you 30-40 goals per year as long as you have him on a top line with the right players. He has to have another player on the line that draws attention and opens up just alittle extra ice for Jeff to work in. Do that and he produces. He also is very emotionally driven. So when he is having fun and enjoying his team, he gets energized, and then all the little things start showing up. He start chattering at everyone on the other team, throwing them off their game, and drawing penalties. Also, don't discount Jeff's playmaking 5v5. Alot of Thompson's 5v5 goals had Jeff helpers on them.

Krueger tried to change him into a completely different player, and wasted two years of Jeff's potential. Granato gets it, and has Jeff back where he should be. I expect 30-35 out of him and a good ole fun time this year. Can't wait.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

"Ok kids, gather round, let me teach you the 1st lesson of earning a big NHL contract"
"Thanks Mr Skinner"
"Ok kids, so what do you do if the coach doesn't like you"
"Play hard anyways!"
"Sorry Casey, no, that isn't correct. The question is: is it a contract year or not. If not, you ignore what the coach says and do nothing"
"Why is that Mr Skinner"
"Because, it's easier and cheaper to fire a coach than trade your big ass contract. I have a full NMC, the coach doesn't"
"Mr Skinner, what do we do after we get our big contract"
"Take the summer off, shop for fancy cars and a nice new house"
"What about off season training"
"Well, that depends, how long is your new contract"
"I dunno, let's say 8 years"
"Yeah kids, you don't do shit, what are they gonna do, trade you immediately?"
"Won't the fans and ownership be mad"
"Of course, but you know what? You care much less about people being mad when you are cashing your gigantic checks"

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
"Ok kids, gather round, let me teach you the 1st lesson of earning a big NHL contract"
"Thanks Mr Skinner"
"Play hard anyways!"
"Sorry Casey, no, that isn't correct. The question is: is it a contract year or not. If not, you ignore what the coach says and do nothing"
"Why is that Mr Skinner"
"Because, it's easier and cheaper to fire a coach than trade your big ass contract. I have a full NMC, the coach doesn't"
"Of course, but you know what? You care much less about people being mad when you are cashing your gigantic checks"
How can you love a team you hate so much?!?!

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
"Thanks Mr Skinner"
"Play hard anyways!"
"Why is that Mr Skinner"
What a load of shit this is. Guy kept a positive attitude while a coach buried him both on the depth chart and in the media and when finally given the opportunity to produce again he does.

He doesn’t deserve this garbage.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
How can you love a team you hate so much?!?!

He'd be scornful if we were to dent the cup.

What a load of shit this is. Guy kept a positive attitude while a coach buried him both on the depth chart and in the media and when finally given the opportunity to produce again he does.

He doesn’t deserve this garbage.

Yeah No. That has been Jeff Skinner's whole career.

I wasn't a fan of Krueger, and yes, his deployment's of Skinner were terrible.

But you can't blame a 40% drop in production year over year on the coach. Sorry.

Skinner is a professional athlete who was paid 20M dollars over 2 years to score 37 points in 112 games.

You can't simply take 1 good season and absolve him of 2 terrible seasons the year before that. And it's not like this is new. He went from a 33 goal season to a 31 point season the next year in Carolina.

Skinner isn't a role model for the young players or a leader. He never has been.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
"Thanks Mr Skinner"
"Play hard anyways!"
"Why is that Mr Skinner"

We all have hot takes.. talking about entitled millionaire children is the moronic part of Watching sports and especially my desire for info on the boards.. it's why I liked okposo from afar.

I might hate all of them if I had to hang w them or all the posters here (if it's not just a computer mirroring what I think people would respond and I'm talkng to myself)

With all that its hard to defend any entitle lil soft millionaire athlete sporto entitled tools..

All I can do is defend effort I see.. over the past year whatever trouble over paid skinner was. He's an efficient goal scorer that people here want to trade him oloffson and mitts which is a large percent of offensive output ..

He's a better passer and linemate which seems to mean he's found people he can trust and not do it all himself which is a losing idea in Hockey that got him traded..

way to go Donnie is what I say

He helped recreate him ... an emotionally engaged skinner can prove many wrong as most ( in the league and armchair guys ) believe Skinner is not a winning part of a team but a great individual talent. As he gets older I think he WILL be a winning part of a good ..who knows how good team.. I'm glad we have him .

The extremely talented , once they wake up to an idea ...are unstoppable perfecting something they value. On top of that you could hit him and Mitts (he's actually going to be tough ) in the face and they would both keep getting up and beat down again .

Don't underestimate Skinner's value.. if he's not injured he gets his career high in goals this year but better yet. Most assists as well. ..( barring injury of getting up after getting beat down for his mouth) and beat down again. Etc. Etc.. .

I like him this year especially.. the first year he actually knew his fate and that he got to feel he was part of a solution.. He just might be alright. If he takes it to heart that he's a mouthy overpaid little shite that couldn't win a fight in a cage match w all the other tiny Ragdolls in the League.. He's sabres property and both him and okposo just might pay double for the teams faith .. Maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diaspora

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
But you can't blame a 40% drop in production year over year on the coach. Sorry.

Sure you can.

When the coach plays a player with Reinhart and Eichel one year and then plays that same player with Sobotka and Sheary or Sheahan and Lazar the next two years, that change is on the coaching.

Or if a coach plays a player with Eric and Jordan Staal in their prime, and the following year plays him with a couple of rookies, that production change is on the coach in that case as well.

Hockey is a team sport. Linemates matter.

Reactions: truthbluth

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

Skinner is a professional athlete who was paid 20M dollars over 2 years to score 37 points in 112 games.

You can't simply take 1 good season and absolve him of 2 terrible seasons the year before that. And it's not like this is new. He went from a 33 goal season to a 31 point season the next year in Carolina.

Skinner isn't a role model for the young players or a leader. He never has been.
Terrible

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

In 19-20 Skinner paced for a little over 19 goals in a full season. Was it low? Yes. He still averaged 3.1 shots per game which was only slightly below what he averaged the previous season where he scored 40. He did this while getting 2 minutes of ice-time less per game. Skinner is and always has been a volume shooter, he simply had a low shooting percentage that season. To frame it like he wasn't trying is just ridiculous.

20-21 he saw his shots per game drop down to 2.1. This is while he was stapled to the 4th line getting 14 minutes per game. He was playing with guys who had very little in the way of offensive ability. Having proper linemates is essential for most goal scorers. You need offensive linemates that help open up the ice and create space for each other.

It's not a coincidence his shooting percentages went up this past season. He was playing with 2 guys who are also dangerous shooters in Tage and Tuch. But once again, go to the same drum you constantly beat. Probably Pegulas fault somehow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad