Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner re-signs. 8 years, $9M AAV, Bought Out 6/29/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Ruff could turn out to be great but part of his fit was New Jersey is paying part of his contract. And for Ruff? He has family in the area. And Buffalo is still an NHL with a lot of great young talent and potential. No denying that. But money factors into this. Money factors into everything in life. The question is always how much and are you being short-sighted.

Why would Skinner not play at all. There will be tons of demand for him on a one year deal.
And Pegula is still paying Granatos contract

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Wait a month? We'll know by end of business Monday what this team is going to look like.

+90% of the offseason moves league wide will be complete on Monday.

Not sure about that. The Sabres could have made some nice depth deals over the summer the last two years to round out the roster. Lots of deals happen that way. They did not. When the season starts, we shall see how far below the cap there are. What we know is the last two years they were not. My money is the same scenario this year, but I would love to be wrong. What I hate is the endless excuses for not spending — savings for the future, no one will sign here etc etc. All nonsense. You can fill out the roster with depth players and that should have happened last year and 2022-23. It did not. I reserve final judgement on 2024-25 but also know the apologists will be back if it happens again.

And Pegula is still paying Granatos contract
His problem. There was literally no reason to extend him. Like the league was desperately stealing him away. As ludicrous as Krueger at 3 x $3.75 M. An unemployed soccer president looking to get back into the NHL...really. The whole league was paying him that. He could have got an AGM, associated coach and maybe a head coaching job elsewhere but there was no bidding war. Stuff like this just makes you wonder how incompetent the Sabres are at the top.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
You spend more cash and take up more cap space overall by waiting.
But every year other than this year the cap hit is less…so is the cash…

Cap space is year to year, not overall. Taking a hit this year for the benefit of the next 5 years makes sense if we intend to be a cap team in the future…

If we are operating on an internal budget…that is also presumably, but not guaranteed like cap hits, to be year to year. So once again taking a hit this year to feee up spending on future years would also seem viable…

I’m really not going to care what his 24-25 cap hit or cash paid was in 27-28. I’ll care about his cap hit of 27-28 in 27-28 though.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
But every year other than this year the cap hit is less…so is the cash…

Cap space is year to year, not overall. Taking a hit this year for the benefit of the next 5 years makes sense if we intend to be a cap team in the future…

If we are operating on an internal budget…that is also presumably, but not guaranteed like cap hits, to be year to year. So once again taking a hit this year to feee up spending on future years would also seem viable…

I’m really not going to care what his 24-25 cap hit or cash paid was in 27-28. I’ll care about his cap hit of 27-28 in 27-28 though.
$445k in cap space the next 4 years is practically nothing.

It really is saving $7M against the cap this year vs saving $2.45M in cap five years from now when the cap could be $20M higher.

I'll take the $7M against the 24-25 cap over $2.45M in 29-30. And for Adams, this is an easy decision as long as he can replace Skinner in the top 6 since he probably isn't the GM in 5 years if they don't make the playoffs this year or next.

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Can I just say if they don’t buyout skinner because Adams can’t add a top six forward to replace Skinner this weekend, the hilarity of the incompetence will be stunning.
It will be a disgrace. He literally said that they don't need him and they want to get rid of him. Now Skinner's motivation will be even worse and I think it will be a disaster.

Jage

Oct 29, 2022
It will be a disgrace. He literally said that they don't need him and they want to get rid of him. Now Skinner's motivation will be even worse and I think it will be a disaster.

I think KA will prefer trading him with a sweetener (1st round draft pick?) and it makes the most sense to me.

Our cupboard is pretty stacked and its more important to have cap space in the future than boatload of prospects with no positions to play them.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think KA will prefer trading him with a sweetener (1st round draft pick?) and it makes the most sense to me.

Our cupboard is pretty stacked and its more important to have cap space in the future than boatload of prospects with no positions to play them.
Adams said Skinner doesn't want to give up his NMC, he just can't trade him.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Maybe he'll waive the nmc once he realizes he doesn't get his money plus a free choice of where he goes with a buy-out

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Maybe he'll waive the nmc once he realizes he doesn't get his money plus a free choice of where he goes with a buy-out
That's the problem, why would he give up NMС? Yes, if they buy him out, he'll get 7 million less money, it seems, but he'll immediately sign a contract as UFA wherever he wants. It seems to me that it's not even profitable for Skinner to give up NMС.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
That's the problem, why would he give up NMС? Yes, if they buy him out, he'll get 7 million less money, it seems, but he'll immediately sign a contract as UFA wherever he wants. It seems to me that it's not even profitable for Skinner to give up NMС.
I think your post and the one you responded to was about the scenario of skinner not getting bought out. If he's mad at the team and has a worse attitude, he might be more willing to waive the NMC, when he realizes he's stuck here and doesn't get a free exit.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think your post and the one you responded to was about the scenario of skinner not getting bought out. If he's mad at the team and has a worse attitude, he might be more willing to waive the NMC, when he realizes he's stuck here and doesn't get a free exit.
Then my bad, I misjudged the situation.

Yes, that makes sense, although he may stick to his principles and his home is nearby.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Just tell him they are re-hiring Krueger as an assistant coach.

Reactions: jc17

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Then my bad, I misjudged the situation.

Yes, that makes sense, although he may stick to his principles and his home is nearby.
Yeah I'd be curious to see what happens if thats the case.

Back in Ralph's day when Skinner was demoted, I think he had more support from the other players, and fans were all on his side, so it was still a comfortable environment. I don't think it will be the case this time. During the locker room clean out interviews a lot of guys emphasized they wanted more accountability, and I would not be surprised if other guys don't love Jeff's on-ice attitude, and that was a big part of the buy-out talk. I heard that even before the public Eichel trade request guys told Kevyn they didn't want Jack in the room. I think management seriously considers that kind of stuff.

I don't think guys like Tuch, Tage, and Dahlin are going to be as accommodating to him working below the standard that Lindy sets, and given Jeff's personality I don't see him wanting to stay in an environment where there's that sort of tension.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Just buy him out. Skinner is the type of player that cannot be on this roster if you want to succeed.
I feel like that shit sandwich has already been made and eaten. You can just suffer how it feels in your digestive tract and be done with it soon, or try to puke it up, which will be painful and leave a terrible mess that will take longer to clean up.

This is the analogy that I will die with...because of food poisoning.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Only thing that can be more disappointing the next 24 hours other than the trade with Washington is not buying out this fellas contract

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Jeff Skinner isn't gonna get waived because Adams couldn't trade for his replacement.

But it leaks Skinner is gone.

Clown organization

Reactions: jd1970

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
$445k in cap space the next 4 years is practically nothing.

It really is saving $7M against the cap this year vs saving $2.45M in cap five years from now when the cap could be $20M higher.

I'll take the $7M against the 24-25 cap over $2.45M in 29-30. And for Adams, this is an easy decision as long as he can replace Skinner in the top 6 since he probably isn't the GM in 5 years if they don't make the playoffs this year or next.
And when they don’t get close to using the cap savings this year, we’ve hindered the next 5 years for absolutely no reason….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad