Jeff Skinner: from 0 play off games to McDavid wing

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I jokingly said weeks ago that he's going to win the Conn Smythe next year. Now I look forward to being right.

Aaaaand you win the "dumbest posts in the thread" award.
That poster has no shame, don't even respond. He's been making posts like that constantly since the finals ended.

Might be jumping the gun there. He looked really bad the last half of this past year. Idk if he was injured, disinterested, or just lost a step due to age. But I wouldn't just assume he'll turn it on and play on the Oilers top line. He was really too slow to play with Tage Thompson and Tuch, so idk how he'll keep up with McDavid.
People still don't realize you don't need to be fast to play with McDavid. One of his favourite options off the rush is to hit the trailer on odd man rushes, and McDavid is a lot more than just rush offence.

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Watch him win the cup and sign with a bottom team until retirement, he can go back as mr. no playoff. I mean he could have a cup and less chance of getting injured

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Might be jumping the gun there. He looked really bad the last half of this past year. Idk if he was injured, disinterested, or just lost a step due to age. But I wouldn't just assume he'll turn it on and play on the Oilers top line. He was really too slow to play with Tage Thompson and Tuch, so idk how he'll keep up with McDavid.

Didn’t realize the splits were so bad. 37G/71Pt pace the first 38 games, 16G/30Pt pace the last 36 games. Gotta think something was going on. Would be weird to regress so harshly mid season

Reactions: Rorschach

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
What an insane turn around for Jeff Skinner:

- bought out so he’s still getting paid from his old crazy contract
- another $3m a year to add to this
- from never competing in a post season to instantly getting on a contender
- from no real future in the league to becoming a winger on a line with the best player in the NHL
ain't a turnaround until they make the playoffs, with him on the roster, playing

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Do we even know he is 100% going to be on McDavid's wing? I'd think he'd get a look with Drais first.

i've commented enough on him and this signing, but could easily see it failing and if Mcd or Drais go down for the season, I am 100% blaming Skinner even if he wasn't in the building at the time. He's cursed.

Reactions: Regal

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Whoever he plays with better play good defense because Skinner doesn't believe in playing any of that. He'll be waiting on the blue line for an outlet pass.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It would be almost too funny if he set a career high in goals this year before winning a Cup and Smythe lmao

Bro, have you seen the Sabres track record? That’s 1000% gonna happen.

Really happy for Skinner because I cannot think of a better landing spot for him. Was thinking Toronto, close to home and all, but I’m guessing they weren’t interested which makes it even better. Dude is gonna show that it’s the situation, it ain’t Skinner that’s the problem, and I’d much rather he prove everyone wrong in Edmonton.

Interesting storyline no matter what, I’m incredibly optimistic about it.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
That poster has no shame, don't even respond. He's been making posts like that constantly since the finals ended.

People still don't realize you don't need to be fast to play with McDavid. One of his favourite options off the rush is to hit the trailer on odd man rushes, and McDavid is a lot more than just rush offence.

That’s part of why I love this move, it’s just seemingly such a good stylistic fit. What you describe is Skinner’s biggest strength- he reads the rush well, finds the soft ice, and finishes his chances. He’s not gonna burn a guy for a 2-on-1 tap-in, but that’s rarely McD’s play anyways. He uses his speed to drive the net himself and/or put the defense on their heels and in bad positions, and that opens up ice for Skinner to take two handles and a shot.

Same deal with Drai, but it’s more his fantastic control and passing. He’ll draw two opponents and find Skinner right where he should be.

Gonna be some fun hockey to watch. Skinner gonna shine like smartwater.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Didn’t realize the splits were so bad. 37G/71Pt pace the first 38 games, 16G/30Pt pace the last 36 games. Gotta think something was going on. Would be weird to regress so harshly mid season
Maybe this?

Zoupa

Jul 7, 2024
Bro, have you seen the Sabres track record? That’s 1000% gonna happen.

Really happy for Skinner because I cannot think of a better landing spot for him. Was thinking Toronto, close to home and all, but I’m guessing they weren’t interested which makes it even better. Dude is gonna show that it’s the situation, it ain’t Skinner that’s the problem, and I’d much rather he prove everyone wrong in Edmonton.

Interesting storyline no matter what, I’m incredibly optimistic about it.

I read that Toronto was interested and tried to sell him on the idea of playing with Matthews and Marner. He chose Edmonton over them. Not sure what other teams expressed interest.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
You’re going to put one of the slowest players in the league who gives zero effort away from the puck, literally gives up on pucks if he might face contact, and whose go to play in the offensive zone are blind passes to the middle of the ice for easy breakouts against…next to McDavid on the top line of a contender?

I wish you luck with that.

Reactions: paulmm3

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Slightly hilarious would be Savoie beating him out for this roster spot at third line wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad