Friedman: Jeff Skinner Buyout is a possibility.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Leafs are a no brainer. Looks like both Bertuzzi and Domi are leaving. Seems like Treliving really likes DeBrusk to fill one of the spots, Skinner would come way cheaper than Bertuzzi.

He gets to come home stack up points and re-gain his market

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
One reason would be to create a winning culture, one that takes pride in hard work and defensive responsibility. Addition by subtraction.

Ruff doesn't want him in the lineup just like Rod didn't want him in the lineup.

Well yeah but if you're not going to use that cap space, you might as well have him on the roster. How much you then play him is another question. He's 2nd on the team in PP goals the last 2 years for example.

Buying him out next summer is avoiding 2.4M of dead cap in 29-30, not to mention slightly reduced penalty for the years before.

If they can find use for the cap space now then by all means, but like I said before, they should already have 10M+ to shop with.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Well yeah but if you're not going to use that cap space, you might as well have him on the roster. How much you then play him is another question. He's 2nd on the team in PP goals the last 2 years for example.

Buying him out next summer is avoiding 2.4M of dead cap in 29-30, not to mention slightly reduced penalty for the years before.

If they can find use for the cap space now then by all means, but like I said before, they should already have 10M+ to shop with.
He's also a reason as to why the power play has been piss poor. His loner play style doesn't equate to great movement. A lot of his PP goals don't have his teammates involved as much as you'd like for that situation. Leads to more problems than it solves.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
He's also a reason as to why the power play has been piss poor. His loner play style doesn't equate to great movement. A lot of his PP goals don't have his teammates involved as much as you'd like for that situation. Leads to more problems than it solves.
That's fair, but in the last 2 years he still has as many PP goals as Marchessault, more than Caufield or Duchene. The season is 82 games and injuries happen. As much as anyone would dislike the player, surely there would be times when at least having the depth and options isn't a bad thing.

Skinner's career has been very up and down. He's scored +30 goals after down years multiple times. You never know if he finds great scoring touch, even if it's just for a month or two.

Last edited:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think the Leafs will sign him. But I'm not convinced that it will be cheap.

When have the Leafs shown in the last decade they overpay depth pieces? They have been one of the best teams in the league of finding cheap depth. And they have all the leverage if the rumors are true and Skinner doesn't want to be anywhere else.

He's not a need, he's a gamble.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Skinner the most unfairly maligned man in the nhl right now.

If he’s cut he’s gonna sign with Toronto, score a shit ton of big playoff goals, and the leafs will win the cup on the wings of one Jeff Skinner. They will then make a statue of him, which Mitch has to polish everyday. It is known.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario

This to a tee

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I believe Rutherford drafted him and the Canucks happen to have spots for at least 2 top6 wingers.

The only hurdle is, Skinner is not a Tochett type.

Points is great but Toch has shown he will bench the likes of a 39goal scorer like Kuzmenko if they dont play the right way.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
When have the Leafs shown in the last decade they overpay depth pieces? They have been one of the best teams in the league of finding cheap depth. And they have all the leverage if the rumors are true and Skinner doesn't want to be anywhere else.

He's not a need, he's a gamble.
Skinner isn't a depth piece, he's a scoring winger with a resume of consistent productivity. I can see them opting for Skinner over paying either of Bertuzzi or Domi their rumored asks.

As it stands, the Leafs haven't had the cap available in recent years to overpay for depth pieces. But they're in a position this year where there is some flexibility and the areas that need to be addressed are ones that require more impactful players.

Regardless of where they decide to spend, the Leafs are going to be making some gambles this summer. Buckle up.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
So when are the buyouts being announced?

Yesterday I kept hearing the window opens "48hrs after the Cup is awarded".....did the league mean literally 48 hours? :laugh:

Thought we'd see some movement today at least.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Skinner isn't a depth piece, he's a scoring winger with a resume of consistent productivity. I can see them opting for Skinner over paying either of Bertuzzi or Domi their rumored asks.

As it stands, the Leafs haven't had the cap available in recent years to overpay for depth pieces. But they're in a position this year where there is some flexibility and the areas that need to be addressed are ones that require more impactful players.

Regardless of where they decide to spend, the Leafs are going to be making some gambles this summer. Buckle up.

Every team makes a gamble when they commit money to players. Skinner is not a Treliving player. You can't compare him to Bertuzzi or Domi they are not cut from the same cloth. Leafs have skill and goal scoring.

If he was to come here, he is not a priority and would be cheap. Maybe gets the Jarnkrork deal. The cap is going to the defense and goaltending first and foremost

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If that happens and the Sabres didn't trade him to the Leaf's with 50% retention - that is a MASSIVE failure for Adams.

If the buyout happens, IMO, this is horrendous cap and asset management on behalf of the Sabres. Separately, if the Sabres don't spend to the cap - this will be the biggest signal yet that Pegula is completely disinvested in the Sabres.

Clown show. I hope I'm surprised.
No GM Is tying up 4.5M in Skinner for 3 years until he is 35 years old.

I doubt he gets 3M this offseason, but if he does get that or more, it will be on a 1 year deal.

Expecting Adams to find a taker for three years of Skinner is asking the impossible without adding major assets they'd rather not lose.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Every team makes a gamble when they commit money to players. Skinner is not a Treliving player. You can't compare him to Bertuzzi or Domi they are not cut from the same cloth. Leafs have skill and goal scoring.

If he was to come here, he is not a priority and would be cheap. Maybe gets the Jarnkrork deal. The cap is going to the defense and goaltending first and foremost
Skinner is a guy who could score 40 goals and surprise no one. Volume shooter with a consistently high success rate. Bertuzzi and Domi are lower tier forwards. More physical, but less skilled. Preferably not your primary scorers.

I think he's looking at the Taylor Hall Buffalo Sabres contract. He'll sign for a year, but he probably runs you $6m.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
With 23.5M in cap space already with no one significant besides Luukkonen to re-sign, the Sabres won't be able to use the 7.55M in space opened up by buying out Skinner, which makes it dumb to buy him out now.

They definitely don't need cap space now, but certainly will in 3 years when their current young NHLers (Quinn, Peterka, Byram, Benson) have gotten big long-term deals and the young guns in their pipeline (Savoie, Kulich, Ostlund) are off their ELCs, and that's when they'll be stuck with a 2.44M buyout cap hit for 3 years.

And of course this is ignoring that Skinner is incredibly inconsistent and can go from looking like garbage to a top line winger from one year to another. While he wasn't great this year, they might as well kept him hoping for a rebound in 24/25.

Reminds me of the Preds buying out Duchene last summer and then proceeding to sit on a ton of cap space for no reason. Idiotic.

Reactions: Daz28

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
So when are the buyouts being announced?

Yesterday I kept hearing the window opens "48hrs after the Cup is awarded".....did the league mean literally 48 hours? :laugh:

Thought we'd see some movement today at least.
It's 48 league hours, so if I am heading this correctly, it will be 1 pm EST today (Weds 26th)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad