Friedman: Jeff Skinner Buyout is a possibility.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Surprised to see the interest in Skinner from other teams fans like Toronto and Boston.

Skinner would 100% accept a trade to Toronto.

What would it cost to get Skinner to Toronto double retained?

Buffalo retains 50% 3 x $4.5m. Buffalo receives future considerations. Buffalo does this because it's better than a buyout.
Chicago/Sj/whoever retains 50% @ 3 x $2.25m. What's the cost here? A Toronto 1st rounder?
Toronto receives Skinner 3 x $2.25m

We retain $4.5 M and give up prospects? I don't see how Buffalo is getting a much better player than Skinner for $4.5 M that's left and this could seriously help Toronto.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
If Buffalo is going to buy out Skinner is absolutely signifies they're going to replace his cap with players that fit with what they're looking to do to make the playoffs this season. Which is apparently a top 6 winger and a couple bottom 6 guys with an edge. They're not gonna buy him out just to get him off the books and stand pat.

Skinner in general is just making building the roster extremely difficult because it forces a "softer" player on the third line where the Sabres are trying to revamp that look a bit. It also squeezes out Kulich / Savoie / Rosén or would shoehorn them on the 4th line whenever they do get called up.
If that's the case, I would go through with the buyout 100% guilt-free. The value is there in the buyout IMO, the first two years especially leaves a lot of flexibility.

I'm a Vancouver fan and the OEL buyout is far worse cap wise (and OEL is having a decent year in Florida) but I have no guilt about it with how the team responded. It was definitely addition by subtraction, so even the years with the $5M cap penalty aren't bothering me. It's always better than having the player on the roster.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
The right thing to do is buy out Jeff Skinner. The Buffalo Sabres aren't really big on doing the right thing.

Jeff Skinner is not the veteran influence you want on the youngest roster in the league

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Where did I say we give up prospects?

So we just retain $4.5 M? I could live with that. I think that's fair. I believe Sklnner is $4.5 M player still so there should be a market for that. I do it just to shakeup the culture. Not sure Toronto can even take him at $4.5 M. They will have to pay the third party to lower cap more, in my opinion.

The right thing to do is buy out Jeff Skinner. The Buffalo Sabres aren't really big on doing the right thing.

Jeff Skinner is not the veteran influence you want on the youngest roster in the league

The right thing to do is what's best for the team. It's a business.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
So we just retain $4.5 M? I could live with that. I think that's fair. I believe Sklnner is $4.5 M player still so there should be a market for that. I do it just to shakeup the culture. Not sure Toronto can even take him at $4.5 M. They will have to pay the third party to lower cap more, in my opinion.
It's like you didn't read my original post at all. lol

Here it is again:
"Buffalo retains 50% 3 x $4.5m. Buffalo receives future considerations. Buffalo does this because it's better than a buyout.
Chicago/Sj/whoever retains 50% @ 3 x $2.25m. What's the cost here? A Toronto 1st rounder?
Toronto receives Skinner 3 x $2.25m"

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It's like you didn't read my original post at all. lol

Here it is again:
"Buffalo retains 50% 3 x $4.5m. Buffalo receives future considerations. Buffalo does this because it's better than a buyout.
Toronto receives Skinner 3 x $2.25m"
It’s the extra two years. Skinner is likely, after being bought out, a one year deal player. 2.25 for one season and he’s motivated.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yeah, but at the same time, it may simply be a culture thing with Skinner having played 1000 games with no PO. Right now the Sabres have most of their guys locked up like Dahlin, Power, Thompson, Cozens, etc. If they can survive those 2 years, they should be ok.
I smell a Conn Smythe in his first playoffs if he ever gets there.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Dirty Dog

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Jeff Skinner is not the problem in Buffalo, when you missed the playoffs for 13 straight years the issues run WAY deeper than Jeff Skinner

Reactions: DJN21 and Zman5778

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I hate the idea of a buyout. 6 years of Skinner salary cap with no return is awful management. Either eat it for the next 3 (or less) years or find a trade partner and retain salary. I would gladly give up significant assets from the Sabres in that trade, if it meant we get out of this in 3 years instead of six (SIX!!!).

Reactions: freester

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Jeff Skinner is not the problem in Buffalo, when you missed the playoffs for 13 straight years the issues run WAY deeper than Jeff Skinner
They’re trying to build a team that can make the playoffs and Skinner isn’t part of that vision. It’s as simple as that. No one is saying he’s the only reason they haven’t made the playoffs.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I hate the idea of a buyout. 6 years of Skinner salary cap with no return is awful management. Either eat it for the next 3 (or less) years or find a trade partner and retain salary. I would gladly give up significant assets from the Sabres in that trade, if it meant we get out of this in 3 years instead of six (SIX!!!).

Yea makes no sense they have the cap space

Reactions: freester

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I’d recommend you do some research on No Movement Clauses so you can answer your own question

They also only have 9 forwards signed, and the team needs to get better. It makes all the sense in the world

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He doesn’t stink he’s just overpaid
Then he should have no problem finding a job elsewhere.

He has to play in the top 6 and Buffalo no longer has room with him in the top 6 because other left wingers on the roster are better than him, all things considered. It's really that simple.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
He has a full NMC. Of course, it would be more profitable to trade him, but what if he doesn't refuse? According by the GM's answer yesterday, it seems he left, whether it's a trade or a buyout.
That's not the point, although we need to seriously improve the roster, it's just that there doesn't seem to be a place for Skinner in the line up and he doesn't fit into Ruff's system.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He has a full NMC. Of course, it would be more profitable to trade him, but what if he doesn't refuse? According by the GM's answer yesterday, it seems he left, whether it's a trade or a buyout.

That's not the point, although we need to seriously improve the roster, it's just that there doesn't seem to be a place for Skinner in the line up and he doesn't fit into Ruff's system.

He’s gonna go from overpaid to a steal as a 1 million ufa

• Haha
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Skinner at $5M has positive value.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012

You think I should care about the business interest of a billionaire owner as a fan? Only thing that matters to me is winning. Last time I checked winning is better than losing for business anyway. It's not bad luck that Jeff Skinner has never played a playoff game

Obviously. Thanks captain. Jeff Skinner is a problem, not THE problem

Reactions: Fjordy

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Then he should have no problem finding a job elsewhere.

He has to play in the top 6 and Buffalo no longer has room with him in the top 6 because other left wingers on the roster are better than him, all things considered. It's really that simple.
Who?
You think I should care about the business interest of a billionaire owner as a fan? Only thing that matters to me is winning. Last time I checked winning is better than losing for business anyway. It's not bad luck that Jeff Skinner has never played a playoff game

Obviously. Thanks captain. Jeff Skinner is a problem, not THE problem

When I say a business, I mean running the team to win, too and not based on emotional decisions or the irrational fantasies of media, fans or even the owner who has chipped in with insane ideas.

The decision should be based on whether we can be demonstrably better with the cap room we get to justify three seasons afterwards.

In year one, with $7.5 M, I think a good GM has to be able to get someone better than Skinner. A lot better. Year 2, $4.5 M extra room. Not so sure. Year three and just $2.5 M. No way even with Skinner three years older.

And now we are stuck with $2.44 million for three seasons.

The buyout helps the Sabres for mostly one season. Is that the plan? We are now so desperate will do anything to make playoffs in 2024-25. And this move is really taking us past a 50% chance of making playoffs, doubt it.

All of this assumes Sabres will be close to $88 million cap. I will believe that when I see it.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Who?

When I say a business, I mean running the team to win, too and not based on emotional decisions or the irrational fantasies of media, fans or even the owner who has chipped in with insane ideas.

The decision should be based on whether we can be demonstrably better with the cap room we get to justify three seasons afterwards.

In year one, with $7.5 M, I think a good GM has to be able to get someone better than Skinner. A lot better. Year 2, $4.5 M extra room. Not so sure. Year three and just $2.5 M. No way even with Skinner three years older.

And now we are stuck with $2.44 million for three seasons.

The buyout helps the Sabres for mostly one season. Is that the plan? We are now so desperate will do anything to make playoffs in 2024-25. And this move is really taking us past a 50% chance of making playoffs, doubt it.

All of this assumes Sabres will be close to $88 million cap. I will believe that when I see it.
Signing Jeff Skinner to that contract was a mistake. Jeff Skinner is a 1 dimensional 5v5 goal scorer. He has virtually zero use if he is not scoring. He is getting slower by the day. His speed was embarrassingly bad by the end of last season. Only way Jeff Skinner is net positive player going forward is in a sheltered role. That's just the on ice problem. In the locker room you have the longest tenured player who absolutely refuses to listen to any coaching on the youngest team in the league. He needs to be gone. This is not an emotional take. It's a make the roster better going forward take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad