Prospect Info: Maple Leafs' Russian goaltending prospect Artur Akhtyamov heading to Toronto

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

He had a great playoffs in the VHL.

The Maple Leafs’ goaltending picture is about to have a little more detail.

Artur Akhtyamov, the team’s fourth-round pick in the 2020 National Hockey League draft, will be making his way to the club’s training facility in Etobicoke next week to begin preparing for the 2024-25 season, his agent Daniel Milstein confirmed to the Toronto Sun on Wednesday.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

He had a great playoffs in the VHL.

The Maple Leafs’ goaltending picture is about to have a little more detail.

Artur Akhtyamov, the team’s fourth-round pick in the 2020 National Hockey League draft, will be making his way to the club’s training facility in Etobicoke next week to begin preparing for the 2024-25 season, his agent Daniel Milstein confirmed to the Toronto Sun on Wednesday.

I'm liking that we've held onto these guys.

Don't want a Rask situation again.

I feel like we get a great one between Hildeby, Woll, Ahkymatov.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
Nothing breeds improvement more than telling four (Woll included) young goalies…
“You got a shot to start” and then giving them all the tools to get them there 👍

Reactions: bax

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Like getting Raycroft for Rask?
Or a 1st rounder for Toskala?
How about Andersen...no wait Bernier, er...Campbell.....ummm...Mrazek?

Yes, i think the same plan as before will work really well. Good point!
Andersen is and was a real goalie. The others you listed are in a completely different category.

We should go for Askarov now.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Looking at the NHL you keep drafting until you have a pipeline Woll, Hildeby plus ? The cost and likelihood of getting a true number one is high and competive. To me there aren't as many game breaking true numbers ones anymore. Roy, Price, Brodeur, Hasek, Cujo, Belfour. These guys won big games by themselves. Now they seem to be a level where 1a 1b, see who gets hot might work.Glad this guy came over, we don't have enough yet.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Looking at the NHL you keep drafting until you have a pipeline Woll, Hildeby plus ? The cost and likelihood of getting a true number one is high and competive. To me there aren't as many game breaking true numbers ones anymore. Roy, Price, Brodeur, Hasek, Cujo, Belfour. These guys won big games by themselves. Now they seem to be a level where 1a 1b, see who gets hot might work.Glad this guy came over, we don't have enough yet.
I agree you draft until you have an embarrassment of riches at each position, it does three things,
1) It allows you to negotiate contracts with establish stars, on your team, from a position of power, that star knows his replacement is waiting and if he wants to stay he needs to be reasonable or he is gone
2) it allows you to trade from that position without significantly impacting your feeder pool
3) It gives you a cheap option to replace expensive talent.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Has anyone actually seen this guy play.

I wouldn't even know how to find a KHL game even if I wanted to watch one. The first time I'll ever see him play is for the Leafs if he ever makes it. If you look at his numbers in the KHL last year you'd think he was the next Vezina winner in waiting.

Truth is those numbers, while good, aren't spectacular for the KHL, where every goalie is the second coming of Hasek.

I can't be bothered to follow the prospects. This guy could walk up and punch me in the face and I wouldn't know who he was. So I don't really know a whole lot about him other than what I've read in a few articles and prospect reports.

I just know that NHL goalies these days tend to be a lot bigger and taller.

Yes I know Saros exists. There's always an exception to the rule. And maybe Hawktuahmov will be one of them.

More realistically I think he gets an extended look on the Marlies and then goes back to the KHL in a year or two.

horner

May 22, 2007
There is maybe 4 exceptional goaltenders
4 good goaltenders

The rest put them in a hat and pk one
The first 8 are taken

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Has anyone actually seen this guy play.

I wouldn't even know how to find a KHL game even if I wanted to watch one. The first time I'll ever see him play is for the Leafs if he ever makes it. If you look at his numbers in the KHL last year you'd think he was the next Vezina winner in waiting.

Truth is those numbers, while good, aren't spectacular for the KHL, where every goalie is the second coming of Hasek.

I can't be bothered to follow the prospects. This guy could walk up and punch me in the face and I wouldn't know who he was. So I don't really know a whole lot about him other than what I've read in a few articles and prospect reports.

I just know that NHL goalies these days tend to be a lot bigger and taller.

Yes I know Saros exists. There's always an exception to the rule. And maybe Hawktuahmov will be one of them.

More realistically I think he gets an extended look on the Marlies and then goes back to the KHL in a year or two.

I think he won the award in a league just below the KHL, I think it is call the VHL or VSL? While he is ways away from hosting the cup with the Leafs , its always good to see your feeder pool have the best of the best of his position in the league before he hits the ECHL/AHL. It may mean nothing in the long run but at the very least it will create competition in the AHL for #1, it will either push Hildby (SP?) to the pros or it will allow another prospect to take the #1 spot in our prospect rankings.

Reactions: saltming

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think Woll is going to establish himself this year, and 2 or 3 years from now our new tandem signing expires or is traded and Woll, the now established pro goalie vet will mentor and upcoming star goalie. Will be the best goalie tandem in many decades the franchise has seen.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think Woll is going to establish himself this year, and 2 or 3 years from now our new tandem signing expires or is traded and Woll, the now established pro goalie vet will mentor and upcoming star goalie. Will be the best goalie tandem in many decades the franchise has seen.
Well , Hildeby was always going to replace him I'm afraid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad