Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner, $3M x 1 year

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Its why I think how he does as an Oiler will be one of the most interesting regular season stories to follow.

As other have said, Skinner scores goals really only 2 ways...knocking in garbage around the crease, and on the rush. His one timer doesn't exist, he doesn't excel taking shots off an organized PP or offensive zone cycle. Its off the rush or garbage truck.

With that said, can he keep up with McDavid or half of the other forwards? I think the reason he doesn't go deep into the defensive zone is he needs to already 'cheat' a bit to join the rush because he is so slow. And when I say he is slow, he's not average, or a little below average, he is SLOW, like one of the league's slowest straight line skaters.

If he cheats on defense hanging around the blue line, will he get chewed out for not helping in the D-zone? If he does go deep into the D-zone, he literally may not be able to keep up with the rush back the other way.

Like I said, its going to be interesting to watch.
Sounds like maybe what Skinner needs is for the team to be a better cycle team. That at least gives him time to set up in the zone.

And btw just like last year we needed to figure out zone defense, maybe this upcoming season we need to stop relying on the rush so much

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I know they're completely different players, but JSkinner highlights reminds me of Eberle with a zippier shot.

I think this is the closest comp for me too.
Ebs' playstyle, but with less vision/playmaking and a far better shot. He doesn't really support/hound the puck, but rather drifts into soft/dangerous spots, waiting for his teammates to get him the puck. Basically the polar antithesis of Arvidsson.

I'm curious to see how he fits in. Though I can't shake the feeling this is one of those where it's either amazing and he's pacing 40 goals, or he's on the 4th line.
Likely it'll be both a lot of both, with streaks of each throughout the year. A bit like the last few Januarys in Edmonton, where it's either -40 or -4, and little in between. :laugh:

Though I think the lack of obvious fit is the point, as it looks like they're (finally) forecasting for guys (like Kane and/or Arvidsson) to miss time. Skinner'll be the piece that'll slide up when others go down.

This is the first time in god knows how long where the Oil actually have a proper contingency plan if an injury or two hit the top 6.

Reactions: oilers'72

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Its why I think how he does as an Oiler will be one of the most interesting regular season stories to follow.

As other have said, Skinner scores goals really only 2 ways...knocking in garbage around the crease, and on the rush. His one timer doesn't exist, he doesn't excel taking shots off an organized PP or offensive zone cycle. Its off the rush or garbage truck.

With that said, can he keep up with McDavid or half of the other forwards? I think the reason he doesn't go deep into the defensive zone is he needs to already 'cheat' a bit to join the rush because he is so slow. And when I say he is slow, he's not average, or a little below average, he is SLOW, like one of the league's slowest straight line skaters.

If he cheats on defense hanging around the blue line, will he get chewed out for not helping in the D-zone? If he does go deep into the D-zone, he literally may not be able to keep up with the rush back the other way.

Like I said, its going to be interesting to watch.
If Skinner sacrifices offense for defense, he will still score a ton playing on this team. That's how I see this playing out. Skinner will re invent himself here

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
With our new additions I also wonder if the 2nd unit gets a lot more time.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more mixing on the top unit too
I kind of hope so. Having more options and being able to roll two potent units would be a plus. Along with greater depth in the bottom six it would be nice to see less wear and tear on the elites.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Will the other one be "S. Skinner"?

Glad no one took 15

Why would Carrick go from 39 to 58 unless it's a different Carrick EDIT it's a different Carrick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad