U18: Hlinka Gretzky Cup 2024

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It is a beautiful trio. They are familiar with each other. Hoping for good things from them and no injuries!

Benak had a weird season but I think he has a great Hlinka (.ppg), a great USHL season and I think he makes the U20 squad at xmas as well.

Then hope and prey he does not get ignored in the draft for his size. Rossi went in round 1 so that is my hope.

Time will tell.
Is Benak anywhere near as gritty in his play or strong? Rossi’s only deficit was height.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
No. Benak is more skill. Little junebig skipping around.lol. Cliff Ronning he is not
Rossi, Brindley, and Stankoven didn't drop that much.

When it becomes a situation of you are 5'8 and more of an offense only guy, thats where the trouble begins. Teams get scared off that you'll become Kailer Yamamoto.

Unless you are Cole Caufield. Somehow he was the exception.

Not arguing with it as he has worked out, but still don't understand why he was the one guy NHL teams were willing to make an exception for. Even he dropped a little though.

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

When it becomes a situation of you are 5'8 and more of an offense only guy, thats where the trouble begins. Teams get scared off that you'll become Kailer Yamamoto.

Not arguing with it as he has worked out, but still don't understand why he was the one guy NHL teams were willing to make an exception for. Even he dropped a little though.
Yup.. and galvas got looked over. He may end up a top.end euro league guy. I hope not obviously. I hope first round.. AHL and then NHL. But it could be drafted late.. another year of junior... Toil in AHL... Welcome to Extraliga then NLA.

Fwiw.. I do see something special in him when I watch him play. Hudler is my comparable.

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
What time is the svk-can friendly match? And is it possible to watch it online?

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Uf, Uf... 1:10

Nothing has changed. Top countries are light years in front.
Lets wait for the group-stage matches before we overreact.

I am not trying to find excuses, Team Canada is obviously on another level but this match was scheduled right after 15+ hour flight to Edmonton.

This was also first match on an NA ice rink for many of these players.

PS: Playing U17 Ukraine into U18 Canada was not the greatest decision. :popcorn:

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
USA has hella defensive depth for this team. Rombach, Grimes, and Fiddler is very strong, and that’s before I even know about if some of the others are good too.

For a non NTDP Hlinka team, usually the defense has holes. The NTDP is also strongish on defense for this age group.

They didn’t even pick the Waterloo 2026 eligibles Nycz and Reid. Seems crazy to me, but anyway maybe it says good things about some of the others.

Non NTDP:

Rombach-Reid
Nycz-? (Bleyl maybe)
Grimes-Fiddler

NTDP:

Bracco-Amico
Barnett-Trethewey
Phillips-Kuehne

This WJC team is going to be stacked on defense when the time comes. It’s going to be like the 2004’s (Hutson, Chesley, Casey, Rinzel, Healey, Brzustewicz, Pohlkamp, Leddy). More balanced L-R also than they were.

Reactions: wetcoast

BearNorth

Oct 17, 2023
Looking forward to seeing Ihs-Wozniak this tournament he is just a player i never can decide on regarding his talents where he will end up on this year draft.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Exhibition means nothing... I think Canada will destroy us in our exhibition match tomorrow and I welcome it. I don't like all this hype around us and an exhibition win against Canada would probably sewer us.lol

No injuries and a loss are just fine with me.

Since I'm a nerd.. I rewatched the gold matchup from last year. We really were close! It's a shame.

I expect similar this year... outragueous lopsided scores.. Canada running and gunning to final and then a close game for Gold.

I think a lot of us are calling the US a B team. This is true. But the US system is very deep and their B team could cause a lot of damage. This isn't a Czech B team. It's a US one.

Finn's are due for a good Hlinka.. maybe this is the one one.

Swedes missing a top player but still look very deep and very good! That Canada game will be amazing.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Caufield was a top 5 talent. He dropped to 15 which was too far. And who knows how much farther if MB hadn't taken him.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Exhibition means nothing... I think Canada will destroy us in our exhibition match tomorrow and I welcome it. I don't like all this hype around us and an exhibition win against Canada would probably sewer us.lol

No injuries and a loss are just fine with me.

Since I'm a nerd.. I rewatched the gold matchup from last year. We really were close! It's a shame.

I expect similar this year... outragueous lopsided scores.. Canada running and gunning to final and then a close game for Gold.

I think a lot of us are calling the US a B team. This is true. But the US system is very deep and their B team could cause a lot of damage. This isn't a Czech B team. It's a US one.

Finn's are due for a good Hlinka.. maybe this is the one one.

Swedes missing a top player but still look very deep and very good! That Canada game will be amazing.
Even the exhibition means something and I certainly don't want us to lose, and certainly not by a large margin. Not with this team, I think that if it is really good, it should confirm its qualities in such a match. I want a relatively even match and a rising performance in the tournament. That's what I want:yo:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Even the exhibition means something and I certainly don't want us to lose, and certainly not by a large margin. Not with this team, I think that if it is really good, it should confirm its qualities in such a match. I want a relatively even match and a rising performance in the tournament. That's what I want:yo:
We have yet to get our annual 'key injury'... I could care less as long as no injury.lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00