Confirmed with Link: Steve Mears to replace Jeff Rimer as CBJ TV Play by Play Voice

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It will surprise no one that I grew up a Cope devotee. One of my fantasy football teams is named the Double Yois.

But the funny thing is Cope was a writer by trade, an award-winning one at that for every sports pub, including SI, when that was a big deal in the industry.

If you can manage it - and I understand if you can’t - move past your distaste, find some of his written work and enjoy.

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
This seems to be the way many Pens fans feel about him.. Every local broadcast poll I’ve read - The Athletic, Bleacher Report, etc - ranked the Pittsburg TV broadcast team in the bottom quarter. I plan to give him a fair chance and welcome a change at the mic though admittedly at the moment I'm unimpressed.
I read the TA surveys, I am getting the impression the FO went for the "safe" choice: unexciting but not offensive either. I guess my thinking is of the four names tossed about: BobbyMac, Bucci, Mears and the kid from Bridgeport, Mears was least appealing to me.

But keeping my fingers crossed. They did a test run with Jody so if Jody gave him the thumbs up we should be hopeful. Personally, I know Vies doesn't like BobbyMac's folksy goal calls but Mears sounds comatose on goal calls (or maybe its me who is comatose when he makes the goal call).

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
First time I heard Mears call a game was during 2013 WJC. Immediate thought in my head was "oh, actual PBP guy is probably ill so they had to ask the broadcast host to fill in", and that has stayed with me since, while watching highlights of Pens games. Hopefully it will go away soon, now that he's here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00