Proposal: Jeff Petry, anyone?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
this is rediculous . even with the shortened seasons he's one of two or three defenseman to hit 40 plus points 4 years in a row . hab hating is one thing but this is REDICULOUS

Get with the program....Habs are horrible, tear down the team. Add a "hahaha" for good measure.

Amazing how the most obvious problem and solution escapes 99% of the tribes. Get rid of Price and bring in a real starter. Problem solved.

AyyoCully

Oct 14, 2019
It’s so funny to me how people are saying Petry isn’t worth anything and even people saying he’s a cap dump, he literally paced for like 60 points and was a top defenseman on a finals team last year. Has a bad 13 games to start the season and now he’s worthless.

If he was on any other team besides the habs he wouldn’t be worthless I suppose

Reactions: glenbuis and banks

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Mtl is bad and I think they'll have to accept a full rebuild like NYR, Detroit and Ottawa did 3 years ago.

In 2018 these teams were all in the same situation. The aforementioned teams went for a full rebuild while MB went for a ''reset on the fly'' in order to give his fetiches veterans a last chance to win (short terms)...

But actually we, habs fans, are going to pay this ''short terms winning mentality'' the hard price.

Last summer party hangover is cruel and painful.

Even more when we're looking at NYR, Ottawa and Detroit all going in the right direction while we're going backward, with tons of risky contracts...

In this context, Petry, with his age and contract, doesn't really fit in the habs scheme.

He's 33 (34 in december) and still signed for 4 years (including the present season).

He'd be a good fit for a team in win now mode. I think a realistic payback would be:

- Lesser veteran with a similar contract, shorter + 1st/2nd (depending on the player acquired) and a B prospect

P.S.: Just consider that the 1st would be from an aspiring team, so bottom of the first round.

An exemple: Erik Johnson + Justin Barron (equivalent of a 1st rd pick) + Alex Beaucage/J-L Foudy (B prospects, francophones)

Given the personnel on their roster, I don't think Montreal's well suited for a rebuild right now...

I think they should look to improve on what they have, and try to contend for the next few seasons while Price is still around

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
It’s so funny to me how people are saying Petry isn’t worth anything and even people saying he’s a cap dump, he literally paced for like 60 points and was a top defenseman on a finals team last year. Has a bad 13 games to start the season and now he’s worthless.

He was really good last year, but he is also going to be 34 in a month with a 6.25 cap hit that takes him till he's 37.
Couple that with his poor start and it makes sense why people wouldn't be throwing big offers Montreal's way for him.

Reactions: HabsQC and Guitpik

AyyoCully

Oct 14, 2019
He was really good last year, but he is also going to be 34 in a month with a 6.25 cap hit that takes him till he's 37.
Couple that with his poor start and it makes sense why people wouldn't be throwing big offers Montreal's way for him.

That’s a good point but I think a contending team that’s looking for a defenceman right now would pay a bit for a number 2/3 right d-man that is only making 6.25 for the next 3 years after this one. I think with Petry’s playing style he could last into his late 30s and he could still be worth that cap hit for the next couple of years

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I think they should look to improve on what they have, and try to contend for the next few seasons while Price is still around

You mean always repeating the same thing all over again expecting different results?

Yeah sure, that's clearly the solution...

Last edited:

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013

Personally, I don't say Petry isn't worth anything.

What I say is his contract/age doesn't fit with the habs situation.

He should go to a team that is in a win now position. Them being ready to take the risk of his contract in order to be able to win it all.

Just like J. Brisebois did when paying a high price to acquire Coleman and Goodrow.

And I understand that a contender team would have to send big contracts back. As long as the contracts are shorter and some future (draft picks/prospects) comes back the habs way in the trade.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Zaitsev + Brannstrom + 2023 top 10 protected first.
This is a good start as it at least gives Montreal a right-handed placeholder with some puck-moving ability in Zaitsev.

I doubt Montreal would be very interested in Brannstrom given their depth of LD prospects and his apparent inability to crack the roster. Also, Ottawa would surely want to make that 1st top-10 protected

What do the Senators have in terms of RD or C prospects? Bernard-Docker? I don't know how high Montreal's scouting staff is on him.

To MTL:

Nikita Zaitsev
Jacob Bernard-Docker
2023 1st round pick (top-10 protected)

To Ottawa:

Jeff Petry
MTL's 2022 3rd round pick

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
His contract being an issue has nothing to do with age or his play. It's simple going to be difficult to find a contender that has the ability to take on a 6+m cap commitment for 3 years. He's a very good defensemen but what team that can use him can also afford that?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Too much from Ottawa, IMO...

Swap out the 1st for T.B.'s 2022 2nd and that's about as much as I'd be willing to part with

The Sens aren't trading first round picks yet.

They learned that lesson with the Duchene and Karlsson trades.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Get with the program....Habs are horrible, tear down the team. Add a "hahaha" for good measure.

Amazing how the most obvious problem and solution escapes 99% of the tribes. Get rid of Price and bring in a real starter. Problem solved.

:laugh:

You realise we are horrible mostly because Price isn't there, right ? He litterally brought a non-playoff team to the Stanley Cup finals. We likely will not have such a good goalie in the next few decades yet he isn't a real starter ? Ok then...

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
:laugh:

You realise we are horrible mostly because Price isn't there, right ? He litterally brought a non-playoff team to the Stanley Cup finals. We likely will not have such a good goalie in the next few decades yet he isn't a real starter ? Ok then...

Out of context.

Allen is not a real starter. Price is a real starter. Price is not available. Bring in a real starter.

Reactions: HabsQC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad