Proposal: Jeff Petry, anyone?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Before we did the re-jigging on defence I would have loved to have gotten Petry on the Canes as a Dougie replacement but now there’s just no spot and money for that. Plus I doubt MTL ever trades with Carolina

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I'm really surprised there's not more teams interested. Of course his contract will get worse as time goes on, but it's not like he's making 8 or 9m.

A top pairing 40+ point puck moving dman even in his thirties should get some interest.

Not trying to overhype his value. If no one wants him no one wants him I just don't get why.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Petry would be a good fit in Ottawa, unfortunately the rising salary in his contract+being paid bonuses means sens wont be involved

Reactions: ATdaisuki

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
I'm really surprised there's not more teams interested. Of course his contract will get worse as time goes on, but it's not like he's making 8 or 9m.

A top pairing 40+ point puck moving dman even in his thirties should get some interest.

Not trying to overhype his value. If no one wants him no one wants him I just don't get why.

Of course there'd be interest around the league. We are on HF, so people know shit about other team players and they love to hate on Montreal so.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Why trade him? He was terrific in the playoffs, what happened?

He got his hand caught in the camera hole. He's admittedly still playing injured from that incident which is causing him to have a tough start of the season. He's also not doing well as a PP1 guy which he just started doing this year.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Petry would be a good fit in Ottawa, unfortunately the rising salary in his contract+being paid bonuses means sens wont be involved

If Montreal is willing to do Petry for Zaitsev, I think that's something Ottawa should do...

Reactions: TML1990

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If Montreal is willing to do Petry for Zaitsev, I think that's something Ottawa should do...

Petry will atleast cost a 1st if not a 1st+b prospect

if the Sens want montreal to take Zaistev back the sens would need to add a top prospect considering the contract dump and rival team which wouldnt be worth it

Now if the sens can find a way to dump zaistev for a B level prospect to another team then it would make a trade for petry semi realistic from an ottawa pov

Last edited:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Petry is a good dman offensively

but right now hes playing injured and Petry is not fit to play as a #1 d-man and it shows. He would be good behind a real #1 and he would do his things offensively.

But he can't be the main piece of a defensive roster. Even tho Weber was slowing in the last 2 years , Petry used Weber to play behind him and shine.

He's that kind of d-man

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Imagine a year ago he was a Norris finalist here….

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'd love to have Petry but those mentioning his contract aren't wrong. 4 years left and he turns 34 in a month. There won't be a big market for that. If we could indeed turn Ceci and additional assets into Petry retained I'd be all over that but realistically Montreal isn't going to retain enough or anything.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Why trade him? He was terrific in the playoffs, what happened?
he was 2RHD... it's easier to be better when you have S.Weber on your team
he was the lone RHD on the Oilers and suck balls and swallowed... the same scenario applies this year for him in Montreal

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
33 years old, about to be 34... And still signed for 3 more years after this one?

Ya, nobody is taking that contract on for free. Let alone paying assets for it.

They can still get a good asset or two but will require retention or eating a bad contract so a team can afford to take the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad