Proposal: Jeff Petry, anyone?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
33 years old, about to be 34... And still signed for 3 more years after this one?

Ya, nobody is taking that contract on for free. Let alone paying assets for it.
this is rediculous . even with the shortened seasons he's one of two or three defenseman to hit 40 plus points 4 years in a row . hab hating is one thing but this is REDICULOUS

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Montreal is not competing anytime soon and Petry is 33, pretty easy to follow.
You're less than 15 games removed from the Stanley Cup final, now you're tearing it down? Impressive turnaround.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Mtl is bad and I think they'll have to accept a full rebuild like NYR, Detroit and Ottawa did 3 years ago.

In 2018 these teams were all in the same situation. The aforementioned teams went for a full rebuild while MB went for a ''reset on the fly'' in order to give his fetiches veterans a last chance to win (short terms)...

But actually we, habs fans, are going to pay this ''short terms winning mentality'' the hard price.

Last summer party hangover is cruel and painful.

Even more when we're looking at NYR, Ottawa and Detroit all going in the right direction while we're going backward, with tons of risky contracts...

In this context, Petry, with his age and contract, doesn't really fit in the habs scheme.

He's 33 (34 in december) and still signed for 4 years (including the present season).

He'd be a good fit for a team in win now mode. I think a realistic payback would be:

- Lesser veteran with a similar contract, shorter + 1st/2nd (depending on the player acquired) and a B prospect

P.S.: Just consider that the 1st would be from an aspiring team, so bottom of the first round.

An exemple: Erik Johnson + Justin Barron (equivalent of a 1st rd pick) + Alex Beaucage/J-L Foudy (B prospects, francophones)

Last edited:

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
You do see where they're at right? Like use some common sense?
The St. Louis Blues were last in the NHL in January 2019, but went on to win the Stanley Cup that season. I'm not suggesting the Habs will win the Cup this season, however it's a bit soon to dump Jeff Petry, unless there's a team that makes an offer that too good to be true.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
You do see where they're at right? Like use some common sense?
If you can show me another case of where a team decided to tear it down at the 12 game mark when they even made the playoffs, Nevermind the finals, the previous year please do so. I mean, a season is going to have bad stretches. You don't fold up like an oragami swan in the first week of November.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
The St. Louis Blues were last in the NHL in January 2019, but went on to win the Stanley Cup that season. I'm not suggesting the Habs will win the Cup this season, however it's a bit soon to dump Jeff Petry, unless there's a team that makes an offer that too good to be true.

The habs missed the playoffs 3 times since the 2015-2016 season. The last two years they made it because of Covid. Look at where they are now...

Contrary to STL, the team is badly built.

Habs brass have to stop being delusional, they have to accept they must go into full rebuild mode.

Unless they do that, we're condemned to see them repeat the same pattern endlessly.

onlygotmygrade10

Mar 1, 2014
Toronto
If Petry is able to be moved the Habs should definitely be able to get a 1st round pick back. That said, I expect they would need to take back a bad contract as any competitive team that is going to deal for him is not going to have that cap space for his contract.

I could see something like 1st + lesser prospect + cap dump for Petry. In the right situation his contract should be fine for another 2 years at least.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
The habs missed the playoffs 3 times since the 2015-2016 season. The last two years they made it because of Covid. Look at where they are now...

Contrary to STL, the team is badly built.

Habs brass have to stop being delusional, they have to accept they must go into full rebuild mode.

Unless they do that, we're condemned to see them repeat the same pattern endlessly.
Marc Bergevin does not have a contract beyond this season. Until he re-signs, or is replaced, there is not going to be a rebuild in Montreal.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
this is rediculous . even with the shortened seasons he's one of two or three defenseman to hit 40 plus points 4 years in a row . hab hating is one thing but this is REDICULOUS
Don't think that's habs hating... just ignorance!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad