Confirmed with Link: Jeff Jackson (McDavid's now former agent) named Oilers CEO of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Are you really? Same people every thread complain about everything the club does.

Edit: Like every other management or coaching type move, I also yet to see any better suggestions from some posters. They just have their scope on any news and bitch regardless
You're absolutely right.
I shouldnt be surprised at all.

It just seems like such an obvious no brainer that this is a major step up.
Oh well. :dunno:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You're absolutely right.

Don't you remember the last grey cup we won? People were saying the Esks never deserved it despite having the best record in the league and beating the two teams behind us in the standings to win.

Certain people don't give two shits about success. They just want something to bitch about.

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Can you find me a player that was brought into an organization where the coach said any different?

They always say this shit. It's cookie cutter answers
meh. I don't go in for such pronouncements. I mean if Cui over at Elks was making those people would roll their heads. Ryan Murray was an utter disaster here and some reason to question either Woody who said he would be great here, or Holland who obtained him.

I probably just need a snickers or something. ;)

• Love
Reactions: brentashton

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You're absolutely right.

I've admitted that I've lost the script when it comes to Edmonton Sports Clubs. The combination of lack of success of the Oilers and Elks has kind of done me in from a sporting perspective. Although these two are quantum miles apart the playoff loss this season was devastating as I really viewed it as the biggest chance ever to win. It was a gut punch. Never got the wind back since.

I'm not sure if its harder being a fan of a team that is close than say the one in 97-98 that were all heart.

I probably pick up the bug again in the Fall when hockey starts but at this time I'm just pretty down on Edmonton based sports. Tired of wasted seasons like Draisaitl alluded to.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Don't you remember the last grey cup we won? People were saying the Esks never deserved it despite having the best record in the league and beating the two teams behind us in the standings to win.

Certain people don't give two shits about success. They just want something to bitch about.
I was a huge fan of Mike Reilly and that 2015 Win. FWIW Reilly was a favorite of mine, a throwback, just loved him, and I hated when that championship team was dismantled.

Reactions: Sanchez

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I heard Bobby Burgers likes his hamburgers cooked to exactly 161 degrees so his new role will be to personally check the internal temperature of each "Bobby Burger" or whatever it's called for doneness at this temp. If he looks at it upside down, it'll be 191 degrees so expect some yelling at the burger chefs.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I was a huge fan of Mike Reilly and that 2015 Win. FWIW Reilly was a favorite of mine, a throwback, just loved him, and I hated when that championship team was dismantled.
My cousin and I saw Reilly outside Rogers after an Oilers game. Gave him a nod and moved on. Could tell he appreciated it.

The fall after that 15 chip is depressing as heck.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I've admitted that I've lost the script when it comes to Edmonton Sports Clubs. The combination of lack of success of the Oilers and Elks has kind of done me in from a sporting perspective. Although these two are quantum miles apart the playoff loss this season was devastating as I really viewed it as the biggest chance ever to win. It was a gut punch. Never got the wind back since.

I'm not sure if its harder being a fan of a team that is close than say the one in 97-98 that were all heart.

I probably pick up the bug again in the Fall when hockey starts but at this time I'm just pretty down on Edmonton based sports. Tired of wasted seasons like Draisaitl alluded to.
Sometimes being negative is justified...sometimes its just a choice and even a habit. :nod:

Reactions: TB12 and Leo360

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, I must have been sleeping when the Blackhawks, Jets and Avalanche (with a backup goalie) embarrassed them, and then they pissed away a series against Vegas.
To be fair nobody was stopping that Avalanche team.

But the rest yes were series we shat the bed in.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Sometimes being negative is justified...sometimes its just a choice and even a habit. :nod:
Truth be told. heh. In fairness though since the Barrie acquisition I was very positive on the path of the oIlers and I was one of the biggest supporters here of the Kane acquisition. So theres been a lot of ecstatic moments. But only one team wins. It kind of bothers me though that we haven't gone farther than we have in the McDrai era. I mean Draisaitl himself on record that it was a "wasted season" he actually said that. I kind of worry about it.

Reactions: guymez

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Truth be told. heh. In fairness though since the Barrie acquisition I was very positive on the path of the oIlers and I was one of the biggest supporters here of the Kane acquisition. So theres been a lot of ecstatic moments. But only one team wins. It kind of bothers me though that we haven't gone farther than we have in the McDrai era. I mean Draisaitl himself on record that it was a "wasted season" he actually said that. I kind of worry about it.
McDavid and Draisatl mask a lot of problems the team has. Unfortunately they tend to expose themselves at extremely inopportune times.

For instance if the Oilers were better at drafting they wouldn't have to rely on the UFA well so many times. In the upcoming season there's no reason they can't win the division.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
My cousin and I saw Reilly outside Rogers after an Oilers game. Gave him a nod and moved on. Could tell he appreciated it.

The fall after that 15 chip is depressing as heck.
Reilly and McCarty, oddly enough on the latter were my favorite Eskimos over the last dozen years. Both had that throwback attitude that they would die for the team. Just loved them both. Hated to see them go. Met both of them. McCarty laughed when I said he was my Favorite Eskimo. he wasn't sure if I meant it or if he was worthy or something. I actually said "I mean it, you're my favorite Eskimo"

Of course I was two timing as Reilly was my favorite as well. Why not both? heh.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
To be fair nobody was stopping that Avalanche team.

But the rest yes were series we shat the bed in.

The Blackhawks and Jets series are ancient history now anyway. Only five players that played in that Jet series in 2021 are still on the team (McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Nurse, McLeod). To me it seems like the team has turned a corner since then and it's taken two great teams (both Stanley cup champions) to eliminate us.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bottom line is we're well past the date where the Oilers were going to be looked upon as an ideal management group. It just is what it is, likely ain't nobody winning a GM of the year award here. We're not like a Tampa Bay or something like that management wise. Frankly none of the Canadian teams I would say are *that* well managed, our best shot at winning is having McDavid and Draisaitl here.

Jackson is another person now at the top of the organization who McDavid has a deep relationship with, someone he and his family have known and trusted since he was 14 or 15 years old.

Along with his close friendships with Draisaitl and Nurse (also Hyman and RNH) it's just another strong tie to the organization to keep McDavid here and if that helps tip the scales in the decision to resign here ... then it's worthwhile on that basis alone.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Blackhawks and Jets series are ancient history now anyway. Only five players that played in that Jet series in 2021 are still on the team (McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Nurse, McLeod). To me it seems like the team has turned a corner since then and it's taken two great teams (both Stanley cup champions) to eliminate us.
Losing is losing. I don't take any solace in losing to the Champs. Again, nobody was stopping that Avalanche team but losing the Vegas series really stings as we would've probably made the Finals and even won it all with most of the contenders out of the way. You only get so many kicks at the can and so far the best we've mustered is 8/16 wins in the playoffs.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Losing is losing. I don't take any solace in losing to the Champs. Again, nobody was stopping that Avalanche team but losing the Vegas series really stings as we would've probably made the Finals and even won it all with most of the contenders out of the way. You only get so many kicks at the can and so far the best we've mustered is 8/16 wins in the playoffs.

Tbh I think we probably beat Vegas if if weren't for some sketchy reffing in games 5-6 plus some crooked decision making by the DOPS.

It's become pretty apparent to me over the years that the Oilers are going to have to survive a little league mandated "adversity" if we want to win the cup.

Reactions: kurtcobang

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Tbh I think we probably beat Vegas if if weren't for some sketchy reffing in games 5-6 plus some crooked decision making by the DOPS.

It's become pretty apparent to me over the years that the Oilers are going to have to survive a little league mandated "adversity" if we want to win the cup.
A certain defenseman not losing his mind in a critical moment would've definitely helped.

Point is, the team needs to pull up their pants lest they become the new San Jose Sharks.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
A certain defenseman not losing his mind in a critical moment would've definitely helped.

Point is, the team needs to pull up their pants lest they become the new San Jose Sharks.

I agree that Nurse shouldn't have done what he did but Parros had previously set the standard that it isn't a suspendible play. Of course things changed when it's the Oilers vs a southern team though. Typical NHL bullshit.

And don't get me started on Pietrangelo only getting one game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad