Confirmed with Link: Jeff Jackson (McDavid's now former agent) named Oilers CEO of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think that if hiring a qualified executive (And by all accounts JJ is) ensures that the Oilers retain two of the top five players in the game, you do it.
That should be the end of it right there IMO. If they hired Jackson because he's the most qualified candidate then I'm all for it. I do understand that nepotism and familiarity do play a part in the hiring process with some organizations but I just can't get behind hiring a guy just because he's connected to your best player or even that being a part of the reason.

With that said, it does seem like he has an eye for analytics and the Oilers have desperately needed to move out of stone age thinking for the longest time so that should be a positive if he brings a more modern mindset to personnel/team building. Holland has done a decent job in some aspects but there's just too much tunnel vision with his thinking and not enough creativity, same with Bobby Burgers. A new approach is refreshing and more than welcome, long overdue quite frankly.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The guy is an executive VP and founder of one of the largest/most progressive agencies in the NHL (Wasserman), played in the NHL for many years, has a law degree having worked as a corporate lawyer for multiple years and served 4 years as director of hockey ops/AGM for the Leafs.

He is qualified.
Fair comment. But leafs? C'mon. Thats been a poorly managed org that is missing on acquiring what it takes to win every year. hell, missing what it takes to even win a playoff round. I wouldn't even put that on a resume. :)

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
According to Gazolla on yesterdays afternoon podcast of the Oilstream the plan to have Staois replace Holland is no longer.
I’d prefer this, anointing assistants as the next GM by default is how you get into trouble.

Hopefully Jackson uses a process to determine Holland’s successor, interviewing multiple candidates. Even ones who probably won’t take the job to get their takes.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is a fantastic hire. Brings in a sophisticated, new thinking approach who knows the game deeply but also the business side of Cap, contracts and all likelihood the value of support functions like data analysis and advance statistic. Following the trend of agents moving over to run and operate teams.

This is likely a pivot point to modernize this organization.
Agreed, that's the reason to be encouraged by this hire. Not because that will keep McDavid here, if this is what it took to keep him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You hire based on how suitable the person is for the position, end of story.

If the Oilers are actually worried about McDavid leaving then maybe we're in trouble.
WE don't always agree but you're on this. It signals that the org is singularly catering to McD whims. Which only means that there has been pressure to do so. Not for a short time. McD for quite awhile has had his nose on player additions and it hasn't gone all that well.

McD wanted Jack Campbell, he wanted Foegele, he wanted Yams continued.

McD also is a heavy supporter of Woodcroft, the same coach that was high on Ryan Murray coming here. "Ryan Murray is a great add for the Oilers"

People should hold some of these people to account for some of the worst takes ever. Thats the thing about bold pronouncements like that. They can come back and haunt.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
WE don't always agree but you're on this. It signals that the org is singularly catering to McD whims. Which only means that there has been pressure to do so. Not for a short time. McD for quite awhile has had his nose on player additions and it hasn't gone all that well.

McD also is a heavy supporter of Woodcroft, the same coach that was high on Ryan Murray coming here. "Ryan Murray is a great add for the Oilers"

People should hold some of these people to account for some of the worst takes ever. Thats the thing about bold pronouncements like that. They can come back and haunt.

What should he have said about any of these players? "Murray sucks?"

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
What should he have said about any of these players? "Murray sucks?"
Woodcroft stated, again, that "Ryan Murray is a great add to the Edmonton Oilers"

That is a pronouncement and forecast. he doesn't have to say anything. he certainly doesn't have to say something that ends up being so wrong its hilarious.

This is the same coach that failed to identify which players and lines were getting buried in playoffs, failed to start the other goalie once, failed to use players like Klim Kostin that were on, failed to line match either at home or road.

This is the coach that McD figures is great.

Really McD hasn't made a solid acquisition recommendation yet.

Reactions: Beerfish

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Agreed, that's the reason to be encouraged by this hire. Not because that will keep McDavid here, if this is what it took to keep him.
It's a billion dollar big business. Time to operate it as such. Jackson has the added value of playing the game at elite level while also operating on the business side at an apex level super agent and NHL management experience. I'd daresay this only happens to leave a cherry agency practice because McDavid is an Oilers. Highly doubt Jackson leaves this practise for virtually any NHL executive job. McDavid is the glue that binds and through his time with the Oilers clearly deep trust and respect made between agent and owner.

I am very bullish on the hire. And again think it will be a pivot point to modernize all facets of its operation.

PS Paul Coffey is a Gatsby-eque character with his work behind the scenes. Interesting how his finger prints are on this.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
That's where I disagree, I think that's an awful reason to hire somebody to such an important position. If they think they can't re-sign McDavid without hiring Jackson as CEO then McDavid doesn't really want to be here anyway and cest la vie in that case.
I cant buy in on this.

A proactive organization is always building itself up, improving processes, people’s etc., and performing short, medium and long term organizational risk analysis (on various levels) and establishing mitigation plans. Orgs that are investor owned and or publicly traded even have to report and share these materials with risk and finance subcommittees of their BODs To me this is an indication of the Oiler Org doing this diligence.

Now, if the player was Eric Lindros and you were hiring his agent-mommy, Bonnie Lindros, then I think the argument would hold water. This guy’s CV aside from being McDavids previous agent, more than qualifies him to be a hockey ops CEO. Given the abysmal and ineffective performance by Bob Nicholson, not sure why the venom on the hire. The fact that he has a strong relationship with 97 and his new agent is a significant added benefit towards risk management. But again, his CV stands up even without that connection.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

To be fair, what is the coach going to say about a new player? “He’s not really what we’re looking for but we’re kind of stuck with him now.”

I think it’s perfectly fair for a captain to express his opinions on current or potential teammates, whether they fit or not. It comes down the the management to actually manage the situation and bring in who they think will improve the team. McDavid can only endorse players and convince them that Edmonton isn’t a bad destination. I’m actually happy he’s doing so, because the franchise hasn’t done itself any favours in this regard in quite some time. But that’s where it stops with McD. If the suits aren’t actually doing their own due diligence and are just going for whatever their captain says, that’s on them, not him.

I don’t think there’s a fibre in my body that believes McDavid has gone to management and said anything along the lines of “I like these guys and I want out if we don’t get them”. I think he’s just being a good old boy and doing what he can to give his input on how to improve, whether he’s a good judge of fit or not.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
To be fair, what is the coach going to say about a new player? “He’s not really what we’re looking for but we’re kind of stuck with him now.”

I think it’s perfectly fair for a captain to express his opinions on current or potential teammates, whether they fit or not. It comes down the the management to actually manage the situation and bring in who they think will improve the team. McDavid can only endorse players and convince them that Edmonton isn’t a bad destination. I’m actually happy he’s doing so, because the franchise hasn’t done itself any favours in this regard in quite some time. But that’s where it stops with McD. If the suits aren’t actually doing their own due diligence and are just going for whatever their captain says, that’s on them, not him.

I don’t think there’s a fibre in my body that believes McDavid has gone to management and said anything along the lines of “I like these guys and I want out if we don’t get them”. I think he’s just being a good old boy and doing what he can to give his input on how to improve, whether he’s a good judge of fit or not.
Stating exactly that Ryan Murray is a GREAT add to the Edmonton Oilers is not only hyperbole its an easily mocked statement. If any of us had made that statement here the quotes would be summoned up from dead threads.

I agree with the bolded. I don't think McD has held the team over the barrel. I don't think he would go that far. For sure I think he would say I like this player a lot, could we get him here? I think McD is not a good judge of player talent (or even coaching talent) and I've cited several examples.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
believe it or not, this is how most sports organizations operate...even the best ones

I thought you were talking about Draisaitl
He did and he's not answering.
I mean, what's exactly wrong if McD makes a suggestion here or there?

Methinks if Drai made the selection, he wouldn't be all worked about it. I suppose could use another Tobias Reider/Kahun on this team...:shakehead :sarcasm:
Also, it was Hyman that vouched for Campbell, not McD.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Jack Campbell, Foegele, Connor Brown, Yams, all heavily endorsed by McD. just to mention a few.

Point is theres some clear misses.

At best McD is non critical. He gives blanket support to anybody he likes. That can be good and bad. But I don't think McD is great at player assessment and I feel the org is more and more putting him in that practicing beyond competence role.

I don’t think you’re great at assessing moves either but that doesn’t stop you from hating every single move the Oilers do.

I get it though, gotta be the contrarian.

Who, Replacement, should have been hired instead? It doesn’t matter. You’d find something to complain about. Like his body language.

I’d trust McDavids so called shoddy player assessment over a bad contrarian every day.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Woodcroft stated, again, that "Ryan Murray is a great add to the Edmonton Oilers"

That is a pronouncement and forecast. he doesn't have to say anything. he certainly doesn't have to say something that ends up being so wrong its hilarious.

This is the same coach that failed to identify which players and lines were getting buried in playoffs, failed to start the other goalie once, failed to use players like Klim Kostin that were on, failed to line match either at home or road.

Can you find me a player that was brought into an organization where the coach said any different?

They always say this shit. It's cookie cutter answers

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really surprised at some of the negative spin on here regarding this hire.

The bottom line...this is a massive upgrade on Bobby Burgers.
Are you really? Same people every thread complain about everything the club does.

Edit: Like every other management or coaching type move, I also yet to see any better suggestions from some posters. They just have their scope on any news and bitch regardless

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
That should be the end of it right there IMO. If they hired Jackson because he's the most qualified candidate then I'm all for it. I do understand that nepotism and familiarity do play a part in the hiring process with some organizations but I just can't get behind hiring a guy just because he's connected to your best player or even that being a part of the reason.

With that said, it does seem like he has an eye for analytics and the Oilers have desperately needed to move out of stone age thinking for the longest time so that should be a positive if he brings a more modern mindset to personnel/team building. Holland has done a decent job in some aspects but there's just too much tunnel vision with his thinking and not enough creativity, same with Bobby Burgers. A new approach is refreshing and more than welcome, long overdue quite frankly.
I get what you are saying. You can't just hire a guy that will keep McDavid here. But if you can hire a quality executive and the byproduct is that it ensures the generational player re-ups with you, then of course you do it.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Other than pure, unabashed assumptions speculation nobody has any idea how much impact McDavid had on anything, so I won't get too upset about it.

I don't think complimenting and incoming player by the coach is any sort of sin, but to each their own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad