Rumor: Jeff Carter heading to Switzerland (or not)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Swiss Player Falls Into Ice Reservoir Following Check Into Boards

It seems like a swell league as long as you don’t fall into an icy pool of water while playing. (I’m just poking fun, I have heard it’s a sweet gig and it’s obviously a beautiful country.)

And lol at some people fantasizing that the NHL is somehow the only hockey league having to take desperate actions in response to COVID this season.

Due to the current situations, the clubs of the Swiss League teams have now decided to change some things: the standings will now be based on the "points per game" criterion, but a champion will only be crowned if each team has played at least 37 games. Also, at least 15 players plus one goalie have to be available for a team to be able to play a game.

Due to Covid-19 chaos - Swiss League teams now ranked by "points per game"

Who won in the 8 KHL games yesterday? Trick question, they were all postponed. And they’re postponed on Monday the 17th and the 19th and 21st…

KHL Suspends Season After 124 Players Test Positive For COVID-19

Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) will interrupt their season for at least a week due to the coronavirus. The last game will be on Friday and the season will start again on Saturday, January 22 at the earliest.

KHL leadership said on Monday that it would not interrupt the season, but the rapid spread of virus in clubs forced him to change that decision.
[…]
Postponed games will also be held during the Olympic break, and the KHL will publish a new schedule by the end of January. The FHR has confirmed our ability to hold games during the Olympics; we are in touch to jointly resolve the situation.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Carter's already won a cup, he's accomplished as much as he's going to accomplish. Of I was him I'd go play in Switzerland in a heart beat.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Bern:

switzerland-bern-top-attractions-day-trips-thun.jpg

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich

That is not Bern, Bern is not located at a lake.

This rumour actually makes a lot of sense. From what I have read about Carter he is really a family person. There is literally no place where the quality of life is better than in Switzerland. It is really really safe, the distances are really short and he can be home in his own bed literally every single night - he also will not have to fly anywhere in the country, every away game is by bus and the furthest he will have to travel is 6 hours (if he signs in Davos - otherwise the max might be 3-4 hours).
Also Roost is usually very good connected and reliable.

Have a look at the places he could end up:
Davos
csm_KV_W2020_Stadt_Davos_Winter_Tag_c_MarcelGiger_794ef2e88a.jpg

Bern
218291_bern-aareschlaufe.jpeg

Zurich
web_zuerich_view_over_old_town_1920x1080_ZT_7967.jpg

Zug
canton-zug-view-towards-city-zug_ab140408-n-109.jpg

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
That is not Bern, Bern is not located at a lake.

Looks like Thun, which is 15 mins away, but also in the canton of Bern. We could call it 'greater area' of Bern :)

Yeah I don't know if it's true or not but Roost isn't someone who spreads some bs around to get clicks or whatever.

And as some of you already said, there is more to life than money and Stanley Cups. Especially at 37 after a successful career.

Maybe he already got some business there? He wants to be part of a club management after his playing career? School for the kids? More time with the family?
Who knows..

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Why is a European talking out of his arse about an NHL players who is still effective and producing is suddenly going to give that up to play in Europe?

Who says I don't understand the tax rates? Those are the average salaries in the league as of right now. As far as I am aware, nobody in the NLA makes millions a year as you suggest he would get there. But nice try buttercup.

Where did I state he was? I wrote why he would.

Nah. You dont. Who says? Every european that just saw you write about swizz tax rates like a clown. Those are not the average salaries in the league of right now even if they were, Carter wouldnt earn an average salary. Nice try snowflake.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Looks like Thun, which is 15 mins away, but also in the canton of Bern. We could call it 'greater area' of Bern :)

Yeah I don't know if it's true or not but Roost isn't someone who spreads some bs around to get clicks or whatever.

And as some of you already said, there is more to life than money and Stanley Cups. Especially at 37 after a successful career.

Maybe he already got some business there? He wants to be part of a club management after his playing career? School for the kids? More time with the family?
Who knows..

Maybe he wants to put his kids in a good school? 1h trips to "away" games for the whole 50 game season? Domincile based value added tax solutions for his investment portfolio?

Also americans greatly underestimate the quality of living gap between developed Europe and the best parts of the USA.

Reactions: Hobnobs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No trying to discredit your comment but what makes for a credible source for you? All of the Swiss posters in this thread have mentioned that Roost is very realiable and not about getting clicks or anything. He is not even in that "business".

When Bobby Mack, or Lebrun, or Johnston, or Fredidman or Dreger report it then it's credible.

Reactions: virothepyro

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Don’t even the highest paid players make well under a million over there? He’ll get a lot more than that from any number of NHL teams.

Yeah, but half amount of the games, and travel is like 30 miles between the most teams.

After 72 million of career earnings, you maybe doesn't have to take the biggest money anymore.

Reactions: lawrence

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
He's made tens of millions in career earnings and he's had Stanley Cup success. Switzerland is a beautiful country. Makes sense to me.

The timing is a little weird, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is less a formal decision than a proposal that has been the subject of serious talks. It may well be that they have an understanding. Still strange to see a player sketch out his next season with Team B while still employed by Team A. That's a lot of overlap. Otherwise the idea is hardly outlandish. I loved my limited time in Switzerland. Who doesn't come away smitten by the place?

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I still think he has a year or 2 left in the NHL before he jets. But if he does leave, I can't really blame him, Switzerland is a beautiful country

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't get why people are just saying Carter uprooting his family to move to Europe is no big deal because Switzerland is awesome. That's an absolutely massive move and a massive change for his family. That's not moving from Philly to LA or something like that, that's moving to a completely different culture that would be entirely foreign to his family.

I have no doubts that living in Switzerland is amazing, but I don't get how people can just shrug at the move as if it's a no brainer. That's a really difficult move for his family.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't get why people are just saying Carter uprooting his family to move to Europe is no big deal because Switzerland is awesome. That's an absolutely massive move and a massive change for his family. That's not moving from Philly to LA or something like that, that's moving to a completely different culture that would be entirely foreign to his family.

I have no doubts that living in Switzerland is amazing, but I don't get how people can just shrug at the move as if it's a no brainer. That's a really difficult move for his family.
Yeah there’s a reason why this doesn’t happen.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, but half amount of the games, and travel is like 30 miles between the most teams.

After 72 million of career earnings, you maybe doesn't have to take the biggest money anymore.
Why take money at all? Just move to Switzerland. No need to play.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich

Well that is what basically every European player does when moving to the NHL. I get that it is the best league and the most money involved so that point goes away but living here in Switzerland is not a big culture shock. I have worked my whole life in international companies and so many expats are here without any problem. Lots of them with their families stay here for life becuase they enjoy it so much.

Reactions: I am not exposed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad