JC's Change Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If Bowman is telling the truth about getting players that Q wanted, I don't see how that is "twisting the knife". It is more like "it is what it is" in the sense that Q wasn't properly evaluating talent anymore. You can't have that in a salary cap system where high-salary teams like the Hawks have to continually be looking for undervalued players. Panik is a good example. They took him off the scrap heap and got a decent year out of him. Then he started flaking or something, Q and the vets start looking at him funny, and the next thing you know he's out of town because he was the reason Mr. 10.5 and 6 big ones were underperforming. A constant theme on this board is how Q mishandled talent. Do you wonder if there were any guys that Q vetoed because they weren't his kind of player?

Reading Bowman’s full quotes in the article provided better context and seemed less like throwing Q under the bus.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If Bowman is telling the truth about getting players that Q wanted, I don't see how that is "twisting the knife". It is more like "it is what it is" in the sense that Q wasn't properly evaluating talent anymore. You can't have that in a salary cap system where high-salary teams like the Hawks have to continually be looking for undervalued players. Panik is a good example. They took him off the scrap heap and got a decent year out of him. Then he started flaking or something, Q and the vets start looking at him funny, and the next thing you know he's out of town because he was the reason Mr. 10.5 and 6 big ones were underperforming. A constant theme on this board is how Q mishandled talent. Do you wonder if there were any guys that Q vetoed because they weren't his kind of player?

It seems to me that the vetoing from Q came in the form of benching some of the players Stan acquired. Perfect examples of the disconnect between coach and GM came with the limited ice times of guys like Daley and Kempny to name a few.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
“Bowman said he targeted Kunitz and Manning because they appeared to fit Quenneville’s type of game.”

From Scott Powers latest interview with Stan. Also said, “We didn’t have a lot of money to spend, but they were players that had attributes that Joel thought was important for our team and was lacking. ”

Ta da. Proof.
while that is a good post that you made.

the key discrepancies in SB response. the word appeared tells me and in any legal world, it was what he, SB was assuming of getting them for what he thought Q wanted.

however the main point for me is SB is the gm, this is his team. while a coaches opinion is helpful, it is still up to SB to make it work. he is employed by the Bhawks org, not by Q.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It seems to me that the vetoing from Q came in the form of benching some of the players Stan acquired. Perfect examples of the disconnect between coach and GM came with the limited ice times of guys like Daley and Kempny to name a few.

Or perfect examples would be Rundblad and Weise to name a few. You know absolute trash that Stanley loved and overpaid for only to watch them actively kill Hawks in limited ice time

And Daley was the #5 defender on Hawks and that was his proper role and fit on team

Daley quit on Hawks and was bad acquisition from our idiotic GM who then compounded error by trading him for god awful Scuderi and his horrid contract

Also Pens won cup without Daley in lineup so he was far from a loss

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I find it amusing how many of the Bowman fans are trying to gloss over JC incompetence thus far

The Joker and Seabrook situations if they happened under Q would be leading to constant demands to fire Q and how he was ruining kid

And JC seems far more willing to tolerate mistakes that cost team games then Q. We are seeing Gus getting worse dramatically since Q was fired and it seems JC is only encouraging him , Keith and Seabrook to play this way. But hey Joker plays a good solid game as a 19 yr old and he is the one banished to press box and then forced to play with the absolute disaster that is Brandon Manning

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
at this point and i posted this before. i am wondering how much is this coming from higher so called experts in the org .

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
It's ugly, ain't it? But if Rocky starts talking to Bowman about why they're playing a guy like Gus and why Seabrook is being handled like he is, Bowman reminds Rocky about their drafting priorities the last two years. The Hawks have been loading up on d, and by not shielding players like Gus and Seabs for a period of time, Rocky now knows why.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Or perfect examples would be Rundblad and Weise to name a few. You know absolute trash that Stanley loved and overpaid for only to watch them actively kill Hawks in limited ice time

And Daley was the #5 defender on Hawks and that was his proper role and fit on team

Daley quit on Hawks and was bad acquisition from our idiotic GM who then compounded error by trading him for god awful Scuderi and his horrid contract

Also Pens won cup without Daley in lineup so he was far from a loss

They also won with him playing 20 minutes per night in 21 playoff games, but sure, fair enough. Now do Kempny.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I find it amusing how many of the Bowman fans are trying to gloss over JC incompetence thus far

The Joker and Seabrook situations if they happened under Q would be leading to constant demands to fire Q and how he was ruining kid

And JC seems far more willing to tolerate mistakes that cost team games then Q. We are seeing Gus getting worse dramatically since Q was fired and it seems JC is only encouraging him , Keith and Seabrook to play this way. But hey Joker plays a good solid game as a 19 yr old and he is the one banished to press box and then forced to play with the absolute disaster that is Brandon Manning
Apparently you missed the thread of the game where at the start of was being cussed out and onward.

Stan also nodded to Daley and Kempny, as sometimes theres good players that dont fit with the coach he got rid of. So its not like that was all the gm choice, but I dont know why they really decided to move Daley. Let him be unhappy and earn playing time by actually hitting the net on shots better than Keith, which he wasnt even doing

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The PP showed better movement last night though problems remain:
- not enough north/south hockey but some pretty passing around the perimeter that accomplishes little
- Keith was a bit better than usual at getting shots through the defense.... but when they do get the puck to the net there is no screen set-up, hence few rebounds or deflections or just plain flukey goals. As I said in the other thread: would like to see Saad or Hayden instead of Schmaltz on the #1 PP unit

The JC blender was in full form last night but without the too many men on the ice penalties or poor line changes that we've seen too often in the past. JC needs to get this team to start the games on time. Geeesh.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
The nice link provided by KM reports that Luke Johnson was sent back down. No report of a promotion yet.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The nice link provided by KM reports that Luke Johnson was sent back down. No report of a promotion yet.
He played in Rockford tonight and scored the game winner. I imagine they didn't want to call anyone up because of tonight's game. If someone gets a call up, it should be tomorrow.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Here is my guess at jc’s first lineup post trade

Saad-toews-Hayden
perlini-aa-Kane
Cat-strome-kahun
Kampf-Kruger-martinsen

I guess we all know now why Johnson was sent down and nobody was recalled

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Here is my guess at jc’s first lineup post trade

Saad-toews-Hayden
perlini-aa-Kane
Cat-strome-kahun
Kampf-Kruger-martinsen

I guess we all know now why Johnson was sent down and nobody was recalled

I think this is what I would start with as well. Also have Strome center PP2.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think this is what I would start with as well. Also have Strome center PP2.
i have a problem with Hayden being on the 1st like with Toews..... hayden is not a big scorer. furthermore, i would not put Perilini on the 2nd line

me i would put Perilini on the 1st and Stome on the 2nd with Cat.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
I am wondering too what lines they come up with but this makes more sense to me:

Saad - Toews - Cat
Perlini - Strome - Kane
Fortin - Kampf - Kahun
Hayden - Kruger - Martinsen

Of course I think it is unlikely they will trade/scratch Arti immediately, so I seem him dropping to the third line and Kampf or Fortin to the forth. One of the problems with Kane's recent centers (Arti and Schmaltz) is they weren't very good at draws. Strome is apparently good at faceoffs. That solves one problem. Then you use Perlini as a poor man's Panarin and send Strome to the front of the net. I think for this trade to look good, Strome and Perlini have to be able to help Kane score at a decent clip and play responsible d thereby solving a second problem. It seems in the last year or so when the Hawks matched Arti with o talent his line bleeds goals, and when he is matched with defensibly responsible guys his line can't score. I think it is a misallocation of resources to replace any of the bottom six with Arti, so it seems Arti is the odd man out and should be traded.

One other point, Cat went cold when he was taken off the top line. I think it is too much pressure on the new guys to match them with Cat and hope that Cat and Strome recapture former glory. I say put Cat back on the top line, where he will be playing with a rejuvenated top talent who has had success with him.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I am wondering too what lines they come up with but this makes more sense to me:

Saad - Toews - Cat
Perlini - Strome - Kane
Fortin - Kampf - Kahun
Hayden - Kruger - Martinsen

Of course I think it is unlikely they will trade Arti immediately, so I seem him dropping to the third line and Kampf or Fortin to the forth. One of the problems with Kane's recent centers (Arti and Schmaltz) is they weren't very good at draws. Strome is apparently good at faceoffs. That solves one problem. Then you use Perlini as a poor man's Panarin and send Strome to the front of the net. I think for this trade to look good, Strome and Perlini have to be able to help Kane score at a decent clip and play responsible d thereby solving a second problem. It seems in the last year or so when the Hawks matched Arti with o talent his line bleeds goals, and when he is matched with defensibly responsible guys his line can't score. I think it is a misallocation of resources to replace any of the bottom six with Arti, so it seems Arti is the odd man out and should be traded.

One other point, Cat went cold when he was taken off the top line. I think it is too much pressure on the new guys to match them with Cat and hope they recapture former glory. I say put Cat back on the top line, where he will be playing with a rejuvenated top talent who has had success with him.
for starters, you are not going to ice AA ??

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Of course not, thats why I said Arti would be dropped to the third line initially and Kampf or Fortin to the forth. The Hawks have to see how Strome does first. I also didn't include D. Sikura since JC stated publicly he isn't ready yet. One other thing, I think JC may have known this trade was coming because Schmaltz was criticized for not being physical enough, and now D. Sikura knows that management is looking for some physical play from their skilled players. If D. Sikura doesn't want to end up somewhere else like Schmaltz he needs to add some - what do they call it - grit to his game.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
“Bowman said he targeted Kunitz and Manning because they appeared to fit Quenneville’s type of game.”

From Scott Powers latest interview with Stan. Also said, “We didn’t have a lot of money to spend, but they were players that had attributes that Joel thought was important for our team and was lacking. ”

Ta da. Proof.
Proof that Bowman did a really shitty job of getting good players that fit Q's type of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad