Speculation: 32 thoughts podcast, Pageau buy-out?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not making this a rumor because it came from Marek and not Friedman, but Marek brought up the possibility of buying out Pageau as a cap clearing option.

I'd be surprised if Lou couldn't get something for him, even if he had to retain 50% you are still only paying 2 years instead of 4.

If he were bought I think there would be teams interested.

This could be an interesting buyout period.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'm not making this a rumor because it came from Marek and not Friedman, but Marek brought up the possibility of buying out Pageau as a cap clearing option.

I'd be surprised if Lou couldn't get something for him, even if he had to retain 50% you are still only paying 2 years instead of 4.

If he were bought I think there would be teams interested.

This could be an interesting buyout period.
Who woild be interested in a $5M cap hit the next 2 yrs

Instead give your ELCs the play time and productivity is likely higher

Last edited:

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
You don't help division rivals but Pageau checks off ALOT of things Columbus needs right now, even with that spicy price cost. I wouldn't be shocked if Columbus is kicking the tires to see what they can get or if there is a buyout Columbus might be one of the teams interested in his services.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Instead give your ELCs the play time and prodycyionbis likely higher

But like I said even if he had to retain 50% you are still only paying 2 years instead of 4, that seems like the better option

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
5m AAV but only 4 & 3.5m in cash, still producing, responsible defensively, good veteran, not sure why he wouldn't be picked up on waivers.

A problem might be that the obvious budget/rebuilding teams will be on his no trade list.

Maybe a team like San Jose might take him half-retained. That costs the Islanders slightly less than with a buyout, and the dead cap is on the books for two years shorter. But they can't pull the Goodrow move and waive Pageau, because they cannot retain on waivers.

Pageau also has no reason to work with them, because he only needs to sign a 2 year 1.25M or 1 year 2.5M contract to recoup his bought out money. Meaning, a buyout likely ends up with him making more money overall since even as a declining player he will get offers better than the above.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You don't help division rivals but Pageau checks off ALOT of things Columbus needs right now, even with that spicy price cost. I wouldn't be shocked if Columbus is kicking the tires to see what they can get or if there is a buyout Columbus might be one of the teams interested in his services.
Nyi would be interested in Laine.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

Instead give your ELCs the play time and productivity is likely higher
Never seen a poster so obsessed with age. Every thing you post about older players is negative and every contract requires a sweetener to trade. Funny since the average age of cup teams is around 30, while the shit teams are almost always young

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I can't see it unless Lou has something definitive lined up in terms of a scoring winger and needs the cap immediately. I refuse to believe they couldn't get something for him with retention in a trade instead.

It's a shame he lost pretty much all of his offensive game after the wrist injury, but he still gives his all and is solid defensively.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I'd love to have JGP in Anaheim, I think he'd be an ideal compliment to their group of young LH centers. Would honestly be fine giving up a bit of value to acquire him.
Just keep the kid scared of physical hockey away from the Isles and I’m sure there’s a deal to be made. Then again Zegras has a bit more value than JGP does.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don’t see a buyout and I don’t see this being a scenario where you need a sweetener to take him.

He has a sizeable no-trade list.

Look at what it cost to dump Walman at 3.4M x 2Y, a late 2nd. I doubt the Islanders are going to want to attach the 20th overall pick to Pageau, or something like 50+54. That's probably what it takes to dump him with his full contract and not taking back cap.

Odds are that most teams who would take him half-retained for future considerations are probably on his no-trade list. A team like San Jose would be a great fit, because they need veterans to insulate Celebrini, they will have a difficult time attracting UFAs, and Pageau is owed less money than his cap hit. The problem is that they are unlikely to take him at his full ticket, and they can't circumvent his NTC with waivers because San Jose would likely want retention.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
He has a sizeable no-trade list.

Look at what it cost to dump Walman at 3.4M x 2Y, a late 2nd. I doubt the Islanders are going to want to attach the 20th overall pick to Pageau, or something like 50+54. That's probably what it takes to dump him with his full contract and not taking back cap.
IMG_0401.png

Lou will attach picks if necessary. Look at the Ladd deal and he had a similar contract situation but was basically LTIR at the point of the trade.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
5m AAV but only 4 & 3.5m in cash, still producing, responsible defensively, good veteran, not sure why he wouldn't be picked up on waivers.
Probably the only way to get him to a bad team, ala Goodrow.
There are teams that have the cap room and need a veteran in the bottom 6 to handle PK duties. Most players are not waiting to go to SJ, Ana, Chi, right now.

Because, for the weaker clubs, you're having to pay term/higher AAV to get a free agent to sign. If you can claim JGP on waivers for 2 years at a $5 mill AAV, probably better than handing out another Killorn 4 year $25 mill contract. Peageau is 31 turning 32 later in the year. Killorn signed his 4 year deal with Ana last year when he was 33 turning 34 later in 2023. I'd say the same for Palmeri if NYI wanted to try to move him to a weaker club in the bottom 10 or so.

It's a way to get around a MNTC.

Whether a side deal later needs to be made, that's up to the 2 clubs to figure out.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The problem is that they are unlikely to take him at his full ticket, and they can't circumvent his NTC with waivers because San Jose would likely want retention.
Is there a side deal that they can work out? I'm scanning the Sharks team for $2.5 mill or under players and I am not sure who they can send over. Even if they sent someone that NYI could buyout.

Anaheim makes sense IMO. Same with Chicago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad