Post-Game Talk: Jazz

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Mika's mind wandered. "Utah Hair Club?" He imagined their players undulating on the ice in their flowing locks, just like his. Mika began to smile. He ran his hands through his hair. Not a split end in sight. His mind then turned feverishly towards the techno beats of his imagination. What if the Hair Club wants to go clubbing with me after the game? The buzzer suddenly snaps him out of his daydream. He had actually vacated his spot in front of the net, allowing Utah Hockey Club to score the winning goal. Mika's teammates were not amused. Mika's solemn face didn't dare betray to the team his mental musings that had occurred just before the overtime goal.
The latest 50 Shades of Gray is sounding a bit zesty.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The thing about Zib isn't that he's playing particularly badly. It's that he has become almost totally unnoticeable.
I'll disagree with that. Either we have very different definitions of the word unnoticable.
His play has been very poor, and he defers way too much. But he's getting touches on the puck, and he's in the right spots (which indicates it isn't a speed issue), but that he's unwilling to work through contact, he's not willing to drive the puck the way 40 goal zib did.

Those are very noticeable actions.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I'll disagree with that. Either we have very different definitions of the word unnoticable.
His play has been very poor, and he defers way too much. But he's getting touches on the puck, and he's in the right spots (which indicates it isn't a speed issue), but that he's unwilling to work through contact, he's not willing to drive the puck the way 40 goal zib did.

Those are very noticeable actions.

Yeah, we disagree. I hardly even know he's playing, especially at 5x5.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
he doesn't care as much as he once did.... and that's the difference. It's effort in training/off-ice things. He got paid, has a full NMC and is a husband and dad. It is what it is.

He's a United States Postal worker now.... can't get rid of him... no matter how bad he is

Will get shit for this, but this was 100% predictable based on his personality

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Panarin Tro Laffy
Kreider Chytil Kakko
Cuylle Zibs Smith

That’s the best we can do. And obviously take Zibs off of PP1.

Maybe some embarrassment will ignite him? Get rid of his complacency? But the coaching staff acts like he’s Crosby

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Yeah I don't know what you guys watch, but I sign Miller to 6 per today. Games are long. Mistakes happen. You know what bad players/pairings don't do? Dominate their matchups. Miller and Fox are killing their opponents right now and that is having a trickle down effect. Keep em together. Trade Lindgren. Or shoot him to the sun. I don't care I just know I don't want to watch him anymore on this team.

Mika has started every season he has ever played slow. I'd be lying though if I wasn't a little worried.
No he hasn’t. He’s had multiple great starts, I remember one he was leading the league in scoring through the first few games

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I feel like he had that one year where his start was blistering hot when he was a Rocket candidate. But most other years have been slow. Last year actually wasn't as slow as others. I'm convinced he doesn't take skill building seriously in the offseason. I know he's a younger player but you heard how Schneider worked on his puck handling skills. Does Mika do anything in the offseason?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I feel like he had that one year where his start was blistering hot when he was a Rocket candidate. But most other years have been slow. Last year actually wasn't as slow as others. I'm convinced he doesn't take skill building seriously in the offseason. I know he's a younger player but you heard how Schneider worked on his puck handling skills. Does Mika do anything in the offseason?

Lets go back 5 seasons (not counting this one so far)

Mika in October

23-24 - 10 pts in 10 GP
22-23 - 12 pts in 10 GP
21-22 - 7 pts in 9 GP
21 - 2 pts in 7 GP
19-20 - 11 pts in 9 GP (8 and change, he got hurt early in the 9th game)

He's been a PPG or better in 3 of the 5 and he had a rough start to the 2021 season because he got Covid literally right as camp started (which as far as excuses go, is a pretty legit one.)

I don't know what his offseason training consists of but I wouldn't assume that he doesn't do much. Just because someone isn't posting their shit on Instagram doesn't mean that they aren't doing anything. Maybe he isn't doing much, but thats quite a leap to take based off of an opinion that he always starts slow (which as evidenced above, isn't true.)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Lets go back 5 seasons (not counting this one so far)

Mika in October

23-24 - 10 pts in 10 GP
22-23 - 12 pts in 10 GP
21-22 - 7 pts in 9 GP
21 - 2 pts in 7 GP
19-20 - 11 pts in 9 GP (8 and change, he got hurt early in the 9th game)

He's been a PPG or better in 3 of the 5 and he had a rough start to the 2021 season because he got Covid literally right as camp started (which as far as excuses go, is a pretty legit one.)

I don't know what his offseason training consists of but I wouldn't assume that he doesn't do much. Just because someone isn't posting their shit on Instagram doesn't mean that they aren't doing anything. Maybe he isn't doing much, but thats quite a leap to take based off of an opinion that he always starts slow (which as evidenced above, isn't true.)

I guess but I know the last few years despite his PPG starts he wasn't playing that well. He's become the embodiment of what Devils fans think the entire Rangers roster is. PP merchant.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To me the highlights were Panarin and Edstrom in his first fight ever clocking McBain.

I'd rather not make too much out of an early in the year game as far as picking on any particular player but it kind of looks like this might be another slow start for Mika. A lot of people think Trouba's our worst contract but it might be Mika given the amount on term still left on it. Also the Rangers made a lot of really bad no pressure giveaways---Miller not a great game either. Some of this is just wake the f*** up stuff.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I will say, I know we got a couple of bounces but 9 5 on 5 goals in the first two games, are we a stronger 5 on 5 team now? Is it because of Chytil or Miller moving up to the top pairing?

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Ok...then if points are the only relevant metric by which we judge how someone is playing, Mika has never had a bad season with the Rangers.

23-24: 72 in 81GP
22-23: 91 in 82GP
21-22: 81 in 81GP
20-21: 50 in 56GP
19-20: 75 in 57GP
etc.

See how that doesn't really tell the whole story?

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Some of the takes in here are wild. If Igor played like igram and Ingram played like Igor, that would've been a 9-3 win.

Miller was great tn. He had a bad giveaway that ends up in his net. That happens. He was dominant otherwise.

Honestly that game was so exciting and should've been a win. That third line looks great, the d pairs look like they're really clicking.

Sorry we gave up a handful of great chances to a skilled offensive team in a game where we doubled up on the scoring chances of our own AND have apparently the best goaltender in the world in net and somehow every chance we gave up went in.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Is there a deserve-to-win-o-meter for this game?
1000005264.png

Reactions: Megustaelhockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad