The Oilers are an old team

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Agreed.

How old is the core guys who will win or lose you games.

I'd rather have 27 year old McDavid and Draisaitl at 28. Then them both at let's say 21 bringing the average down.
I dont agree with having very old supporting cast. You can have a couple of grizzled vets like Perry but they basically surrounded a young core with senior citizens who need help also. Not only they got older, but softer to play against. They should have went for Zadorov and kept players like Holloway, McLeod and Foegele. For a bold move, i would have traded Nugent Hopkins for Tom Wilson and another young D man.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I am not an Oilers fan but did people not learn their lesson last season?
It's not like they are 10 games below .500 or anything. They still have McDavid and Draisaitl.
They still havent won a thing after 10 years even after having the 2 best players innthe world playing in their primes for a half dozen years. You expect a team with 2 best players in the world to have won a couple of cups by now like the Crosby and Malkin era. I bet if Canucks had those 2, they would have won a cup by now even with the clown Benning at the helm. It just shows how dominant their 2 best players are to go to finals with bad goaltending and terrible defense.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
For real though it's 2 games and the oilers will win 10 in a row pretty soon so why don't you just pack up shop and beat the traffic.
They will have their win streaks but i dont see them having a dominant season like last year. They played a lot last year and went to finals so they have bodies that still recovering like Kane and others plus they got older and a bit weaker on D. I just dont see the same team. Reminds me of Canucks in 2011 when they lost in the finals and then the following year they got beat in the 1st round of playoffs. I see similar fate for the Oilers. Usually when you make the finals, its harder to get there nexr year.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It took just two Ls for people to get back to writing eulogies for the Oilers?

People need to remember that just because you want something to happen, it doesn't mean it's going to happen.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

People need to remember that just because you want something to happen, it doesn't mean it's going to happen.
Not really, i predicted Oilers got weaker before the preseason. Just look at the personnel change and positions that got weaker. I never got people that think the past will always repeat in the future similar to the so called hockey "experts". It was funny to see people get surprised that Vancouver won the division last year when prior years they kept missing the playoffs.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not really, i predicted Oilers got weaker before the preseason. Just look at the personnel change and positions that got weaker. I never got people that think the past will always repeat in the future similar to the so called hockey "experts". It was funny to see people get surprised that Vancouver won the division last year when prior years they kept missing the playoffs.
Yup. Teams trend. And the Oilers are trending older and slower. Not a good way to stay competitive.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
This is what the Oilers do. They suck, fire their coach once a season, go on an insane run. Last year they happened to get puck luck and standings luck to go further than they should have. Probably same thing this year, they will be a playoff team

Reactions: tmurfin

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Just the way this board functions. I'm not surprised we aren't seeing the same thread for the Avs. The Oilers being a Canadian team, and the one with the most playoff success recently, not to mention many calling them cup favourites definitely puts a target on them from other fanbases.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This is what the Oilers do. They suck, fire their coach once a season, go on an insane run. Last year they happened to get puck luck and standings luck to go further than they should have. Probably same thing this year, they will be a playoff team
Puck luck how? The Oilers had some of the best underlying metrics in the league last year. Even at the start of the season they did and so far this year not much different. The issue is the team both last year and this year to start was severely lacking in the finer details with some glaring mistakes on scoring chances both for and against to go alongside goaltending that was performing very poorly. Their start this year on paper looks almost identical to last year.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Puck luck how? The Oilers had some of the best underlying metrics in the league last year. Even at the start of the season they did and so far this year not much different. The issue is the team both last year and this year to start was severely lacking in the finer details with some glaring mistakes on scoring chances both for and against to go alongside goaltending that was performing very poorly. Their start this year on paper looks almost identical to last year.

That game against the Stars to eliminate them the Oilers did not deserve to even be in. They had almost no shots, got a few lucky bounces, etc. That is what I am talking about.

Also got a bye of the first round against the Kings and then had Vancouver lose their most important player. A lot of luck last year.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I dont agree with having very old supporting cast. You can have a couple of grizzled vets like Perry but they basically surrounded a young core with senior citizens who need help also. Not only they got older, but softer to play against. They should have went for Zadorov and kept players like Holloway, McLeod and Foegele. For a bold move, i would have traded Nugent Hopkins for Tom Wilson and another young D man.

Nuge signed a very team friendly contract to stay there. He has a full NMC good luck trading him. He should have gotten 7x7 on the open market.

But I get it. The supporting cast is not super old and a lot of the players are on 1 or 2 year deals. Oilers are not married to the older players.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That game against the Stars to eliminate them the Oilers did not deserve to even be in. They had almost no shots, got a few lucky bounces, etc. That is what I am talking about.

Also got a bye of the first round against the Kings and then had Vancouver lose their most important player. A lot of luck last year.
Sure the Stars were the better team in game 6, but the Oilers were the better team in that series as a whole. Playoffs are always some luck in terms of health and things going your way, but you don't go to game 7 of the cup final on luck alone.

We all wanted them to lose game 7 and that happened. Sometimes dreams do come true.
2011 was probably the biggest dream come true for Canada in the past 30 years tbh.

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
ah yes. I've grieved and moved on from the tragedy.

You on the other hand have to live with that loss for another 5+ yrs.

Put it this way I was dumped 13 years ago. You just got dumped.
I've already moved on. Some people are able to realize this is a game and nothing more. You're really just telling me more about yourself than I think you meant to.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
ah yes. I've grieved and moved on from the tragedy.

You on the other hand have to live with that loss for another 5+ yrs.

Put it this way I was dumped 13 years ago. You just got dumped.
Using your analogy

You've also been single and alone for 13 years.

Sunan

Jun 6, 2019
México
I expected a slow start from the vets. I didn't like the Skinner pick up, but they'll be fine if they fill one spot with a good D man

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Sure the Stars were the better team in game 6, but the Oilers were the better team in that series as a whole. Playoffs are always some luck in terms of health and things going your way, but you don't go to game 7 of the cup final on luck alone.

2011 was probably the biggest dream come true for Canada in the past 30 years tbh.
I think 2024 finals was the biggest dream for most Canadians especially Canucks and Flames fans 🤣

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
I haven’t seen the last two games, but let me just say this...watching Edmonton lose Game 7 and the horrified oiler fans faces was one of the most satisfying experiences of the year. Fully deserved. In fact, I think I’ll watch them again right now on youtube.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
They still havent won a thing after 10 years even after having the 2 best players innthe world playing in their primes for a half dozen years. You expect a team with 2 best players in the world to have won a couple of cups by now like the Crosby and Malkin era. I bet if Canucks had those 2, they would have won a cup by now even with the clown Benning at the helm. It just shows how dominant their 2 best players are to go to finals with bad goaltending and terrible defense.
But they don't have them.

And they haven't won a cup.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's already been stated but the average age of the core is more telling than the average age of the entire team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad