Prospect Info: Jayden Struble Part 2

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That’s what seems to be lost on many, after Matheson’s silkiness, Struble is probably the most mobile Dman of the group…

And he’s got a chip on his shoulder providing elite hunger & motivation - was picked on incessantly as the only non-homogenous player growing up in Rhode Island.
Mobility is not an issue with our back end we are super mobile.
It's one of the reasons I think a next progression has to be about finding ways to put an end to those long assed shifts spent in our own zone.
There could possibly be a time in the not too distant future where Lane Hutson becomes our least mobile defender. :popcorn:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Mobility is not an issue with our back end we are super mobile.
It's one of the reasons I think a next progression has to be about finding ways to put an end to those long assed shifts spent in our own zone.
There could possibly be a time in the not too distant future where Lane Hutson becomes our least mobile defender. :popcorn:
This is more than a possibility. With Kovacevic gone and Savard being a likely trade asset, Hutson, who is not a strong skater, would along with Xhekaj, become our least mobile defencemen.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This is more than a possibility. With Kovacevic gone and Savard being a likely trade asset, Hutson, who is not a strong skater, would along with Xhekaj, become our least mobile defencemen.

That's an interesting assessment of Hutson.

I can't say that I share it at all... At least not insofar as "mobility" applies to a defenseman in the sport of hockey.

The movement ability can't be separated from the decision making and spatial awareness of the mover in relation to the other moving pieces... Hutson's ability to move in relation to the other player's on the ice is perhaps his greatest asset. Him and Xhekaj couldn't be more different in that regard.

How either of them do in a cone drill is perhaps a different story, but of little importance imo

That’s what seems to be lost on many, after Matheson’s silkiness, Struble is probably the most mobile Dman of the group…

And he’s got a chip on his shoulder providing elite hunger & motivation - was picked on incessantly as the only non-homogenous player growing up in Rhode Island… that’s the type of scenario which usually lends itself to overachievers
What is "non-homogenous" in this specific context?

Reactions: 417

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

I can't say that I share it at all... At least not insofar as "mobility" applies to a defenseman in the sport of hockey.

The movement ability can't be separated from the decision making and spatial awareness of the mover in relation to the other moving pieces... Hutson's ability to move in relation to the other player's on the ice is perhaps his greatest asset. Him and Xhekaj couldn't be more different in that regard.

How either of them do in a cone drill is perhaps a different story, but of little importance imo

Struble was the only non-white kid in his town outside Providence - he’s mentioned it many times when interviewed including an excellent piece by Arpon Basu last year. Talking about the racist comments he put up with from coaches & parents alike throughout youth hockey

From what I’ve witnessed, New England youth hockey parents can be pretty vicious towards minority kids especially away from Boston / Southern CT / NY in Maine , RI, NH etc.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

My post was in support of the proposition that in the near future Hutson may well be the least mobile of our defencemen.

In agreeing with that proposition I opined that after eliminating Kovacevic and Savard from the equation our remaining top prospective defencemen (other than Xhekaj): Matheson, Guhle, Harris, Struble and Reinbacher were clearly more mobile than Hutson . This conclusion, if correct, clearly confirms that the mobility of our defence is, and will remain, a strength of our team.

As for Xhekaj, his skating ability is underrated. While not quick, once he gets moving he displays surprising straight forward speed.

Hutson brings a lot of talent and upside to his game. But he is no Quinn Hughes. He’s a shifty, darting ( and somewhat awkward) skater who relies more on deception, unreal hand skills and feints to create time and space to make the plays that should wow the fan base for a decade.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
For those who think Matheson is a defensive liability, Mailloux makes Matheson look like Scott Stevens in the defensive zone. As some know, I have been a huge Mailloux supporter since he was a surprise first round choice in 2021 and have followed his development path closely since. While possessing great offensive skills (shot, first pass, offensive vision and creativity) he remains challenged defensively. I will watch him with interest this year, but the with wave of young talent already on the roster (Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris, Struble) and on the horizon (Hutson, Reinbacher, Engstrom, Konyushkov) it wouldn't surprise me if it is Mailloux who is moved before some of the other usual suspects that are often identified here.
Thinking fans want Mailloux on the Habs this year but if his D needs work no harm in staying in the AHL
This ensures a slow development and time to work on his game especially in his own end

Loved the Scott Stevens quip!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Thinking fans want Mailloux on the Habs this year but if his D needs work no harm in staying in the AHL
This ensures a slow development and time to work on his game especially in his own end

Loved the Scott Stevens quip!
I watched every Laval game this past season and yes Mailloux had some D zone challenges at times but what I did notice throughout the year though is his defensive zone improvements. It would not hurt to have him play another half season in Laval but his upside is legtimate.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
My post was in support of the proposition that in the near future Hutson may well be the least mobile of our defencemen.

In agreeing with that proposition I opined that after eliminating Kovacevic and Savard from the equation our remaining top prospective defencemen (other than Xhekaj): Matheson, Guhle, Harris, Struble and Reinbacher were clearly more mobile than Hutson . This conclusion, if correct, clearly confirms that the mobility of our defence is, and will remain, a strength of our team.

As for Xhekaj, his skating ability is underrated. While not quick, once he gets moving he displays surprising straight forward speed.

Hutson brings a lot of talent and upside to his game. But he is no Quinn Hughes. He’s a shifty, darting ( and somewhat awkward) skater who relies more on deception, unreal hand skills and feints to create time and space to make the plays that should wow the fan base for a decade.
Full agreement here

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
For now. He strikes me as very coachable, and as a result of his IQ, he must have a keen understanding of what he needs to improve to thrive in the NHL. He will put on muscle, and a good chunk of it will go towards better mobility. It could go from a vulnerability to a strength in 2-3 years, with the right outlook and training.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
For now. He strikes me as very coachable, and as a result of his IQ, he must have a keen understanding of what he needs to improve to thrive in the NHL. He will put on muscle, and a good chunk of it will go towards better mobility. It could go from a vulnerability to a strength in 2-3 years, with the right outlook and training.
That assumes that our other prospective defencemen remain static in their own development.

Being the slowest member of the Olympic 4x100 meters relay gold medal champions doesn’t mean you’re slow. By saying that Hutson may end up being the least mobile is more a compliment as to the overall mobility of our projected defence corps than a criticism of Hutson’s individual skating ability.

He’ll do just fine.

Last edited:

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Just be thankful we have the intuitive Hughes at the helm of this storied franchise and not the inept Bergevin guiding the team’s fortunes. I shudder thinking about the damage that the Idiot Savant would have wrought in these circumstances if given the opportunity.

we're lucky that he lottery-protected our 2022 1st rd pick he sent to Arizona for Dvorak, would have reached Ottawa level of mismanagement...

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad