Confirmed with Link: Jay Varady moves from Roadrunners to Coyotes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Every time Tocchet opens his mouth its another headscratcher.

"Jay is a great coach with a very high hockey IQ," said Tocchet. "I've developed a good relationship with him the last six months and I'm confident that he can help us in a lot of areas. I'm looking forward to working with him this season."

What? He's been in Tucson for how long and you've only developed a relationship in the last six months?

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Nothing Tocchet ever says ever makes any sense to me. John Chayka always lauded his communication ability and his intelligence. So I believe that must be there. He must be smart and must be a good communicator, right? But I’ve never seen it. It always seems like the opposite to me. I don’t understand it.

It must be a very specialized language he speaks where this shines through, and he never shows it in the media. I guess it’s just behind closed doors, and be code-switches apart from that. I don’t know.

You listen to Taylor Hall speak and you immediately know he’s a really bright guy who expresses himself very effectively. Same with Don Maloney as another Coyotes example. Must be something hidden with Tocchet.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
Nothing Tocchet ever says ever makes any sense to me. John Chayka always lauded his communication ability and his intelligence. So I believe that must be there. He must be smart and must be a good communicator, right? But I’ve never seen it. It always seems like the opposite to me. I don’t understand it.

It must be a very specialized language he speaks where this shines through, and he never shows it in the media. I guess it’s just behind closed doors, and be code-switches apart from that. I don’t know.

You listen to Taylor Hall speak and you immediately know he’s a really bright guy who expresses himself very effectively. Same with Don Maloney as another Coyotes example. Must be something hidden with Tocchet.

He's an ex-player that had his own brand to a certain extent. Now as a coach he has created a brand for himself behind the bench as a straight shooter and someone who can "whisper" the best out of his players. Seemingly this is the only thing he is good at as a coach and he leverages it to come off this way across the league. He essentially wears a mask in front of the media and fumbles behind the bench. I never take anything he says as the truth. His whole playing hardball and saying players didn't show up ready for training camp this year sounded identical to what he said in his first year. How are his expectations not clear to the players at this point? Does he hold players accountable to these expectation or just airs out this dirty laundry to the press. I haven't seen any accountability on the ice so I doubt there is much in the locker room.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What? He's been in Tucson for how long and you've only developed a relationship in the last six months?

More confirmation IMO Tocchet doesn't know anything about tactics and would have had Housley or MacLean communicate with Tucson so he doesn't get exposed.

Reactions: Gwyddbwyll

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

More confirmation IMO Tocchet doesn't know anything about tactics and would have had Housley or MacLean communicate with Tucson so he doesn't get exposed.

I think that is where the rub may be. He can break down things very well for a specific type of player, or specific types of scenarios. But if those player types are not on the team, or those scenarios are infrequent, the message is lost.

Side note, Varady has really done a fine job of getting success in every place he has been. Didn't realize quite how good the records and performance had been going between USHL and OHL, along with experience overseas in France.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Chayka probably had to - RT came cheap.
RT is a meathead.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Tocchet has always come across as a meat head to me. I guess he'd communicate well with players. I don't think meat heads should be HC's though. They should be AC's functioning best as a liaison between players and the HC.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002

Makes sense - explains the disjointed nature of the callups. Rather than preparing our best young players to step up - Capobianco, Burke etc, they were opting for Chaput and Ness almost every time.

I remember a lot of talk about getting the Coyotes and Roadrunners playing the same so that it was seamless but it has turned out to be just bluster.

A head coach does need to delegate and trust his deputies but there's delegating and then there's neglect. Hopefully Stillman and Varady ensure there's more respect for our players in minor and junior leagues. Garland shouldnt have had to fight so hard to get where he is now.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Nice to see Varady drawing up the play during to TO last night. Did anybody see Stillman on the bench last night?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad