Confirmed with Link: Jay Varady moves from Roadrunners to Coyotes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
They were going to lose Varady if he had another good season. Tocchet should now be outnumbered in the coach's room and hopefully can be managed.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Stillman and Varady. Nice additions. I think BA has put RT on notice. Maybe deep down he knows RT is not the answer, but decided to let the year play out.
Meruelo probably wouldn't approve a preseason firing, it would likely force him to pay two HCs.

This way Tocchet can be fired then there's a cheap replacement already on payroll. Give him an interim title in case it doesn't workout, then BA would have large budget to choose his HC in the offseason.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Regarding how the AHL may work, I think that there will be some consolidation of teams in some ways. Haven't 3 teams (Milwaukee, Charlotte, and Springfield?) opted out of AHL play? That's a good chunk of players that are literally not able to train as 3 different teams. Some 20 year old with future NHL upside loses that season altogether. Imagine if we still had Springfield, and we lose out on developing a player for a season. That ain't good. Other loan options to foreign leagues can come into play, but the pandemic may make that very different to accommodate.

I think something would have to go on behind the scenes where players are "allocated" to other teams and is also why the taxi squad holds more players.

Think about it this way: each NHL team has a taxi squad of players that should be about 4-6 per game, correct? So, that means each AHL team is stripped of about 4-6 players each (taxi squad player could have come over from Europe and never was part of AHL from prior year). So, bare minimum, about 120 players who otherwise would have been in the AHL are now carried on the taxi squads of NHL teams. Easiest way to replace those players is to consolidate some players to each team in the AHL. Since those three teams already opted out, all that is needed is for another 2 or 3 AHL teams to opt out. Maybe the decision to move Varady up means dispersing our players from the Roadrunners for a year. Wouldn't this be similar(-ish) to what happens when AHL teams change NHL partnerships? I thought there was a year when the SA Rampage or Portland Pirates had players from both the Coyotes and the Panthers, as an example.

Theories aside from the AHL, I like this idea of bringing Varady up. I always thought that this was to be a little bit of a lame duck year for Tocchet anyhow. Varady has had some very good players taken from his team through trades and call-ups (Merkley trade, Garland call-up, Crouse call-up, Strome trade), and yet the team has improved in its ability to play and close out games. I believe that Tocchet gets 20 games, and if the team does not perform, Varady takes over for 30 or so more games. This is actually an easier transition should Tocchet get the ax prior to the offseason, and if the team responds, throw a 1 or 2 year deal at Varady and see if the magic can happen again. If it does, keep letting it play out with the ability to throw some money at additional roster player help after this and next season.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Where does he fit and who takes over in Tucson?

Not sure who's going to coach Tucson, but given the statements on social from the team and reporters, it looks clear that they are making Tocchet more and more of a figurehead with every move. Varady, it appears, is going to be "handling the room" for Tocchet.

Might be a shadow termination that saves the team from the optics of actually firing him.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Varady has demonstrated he can coach at numerous levels. For some reason, NHL playing experience is given priority over coaching chops when it comes to being awarded a head coaching position. Many great players suck at coaching. I hope Varady gets a shot.

Jay Varady's career head coaching record (regular season only)
upload_2021-1-9_9-3-57.png

Last edited:

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Varady has demonstrated he can coach at numerous levels. For some reason, NHL playing experience is given priority over coaching chops when it comes to being awarded a head coaching position. Many great players suck at coaching. I hope Varady gets a shot...

Coyotes fans can make that statement with more authority than pretty much anyone else.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
He could take on the video duties among others - I don't believe that particular chair has been filled.

Hunter Cherni was appointed “head video coordinator”. I assume that’s the same role as Peters and under a different title.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Varady has demonstrated he can coach at numerous levels. For some reason, NHL playing experience is given priority over coaching chops when it comes to being awarded a head coaching position. Many great players suck at coaching. I hope Varady gets a shot.

Jay Varady's career head coaching record (regular season only)
View attachment 382868
Head coach in waiting. It will be ironic if the head coach we need was in our system the entire time. This move has to make RT nervous.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Head coach in waiting. It will be ironic if the head coach we need was in our system the entire time. This move has to make RT nervous.
BA brings in Stillman and now brings up Varady. BA is getting his ducks in a row in case RT can't get this team rolling. I agree, RT has to be nervous, or hopefully BA let's this season play out giving Stillman and Varady time to access the team, and then does not re up RT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad