Proposal: Jarry and Graves for D. Nurse and 2nd

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Pens could use a change of scenery defenseman, and should try to send one of those two back in return, but I don't think Nurse is it. They need a quiet, defensive Dman who's overpaid a couple mil. Someone who can't drive offense but can capablely babysit Letang or Karlsson.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I mean... I suppose value is sort of a wash, but it doesn't help either team. I don't see why either club does it.

Nurse also exercises his NMC right now and for the foreseeable future. His team is a threat to go to the Finals and win a Cup. The Pens are probably finishing about 9th or 10th in the East.

The fact Nurse also has a full NMC on top of 9M is just mind boggling. And it's even complete buyout proof. What a disaster of a contract.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
THIRD BEST DEFENCEMAN? Yeah, for the OTHER TEAM.
Get out of here. Darnell Nurse has become the most underrated player in the league on HF. The guy is still a good player, he's just incredibly overpaid, by roughly 1/3. Give him an AAV of $6M and nobody cares about him, but he makes 9.25, and half the people here can't seem to differentiate between "overpaid" and "awful".

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Youre so wrong. The Oilers are going to buy Nurse out once it makes sense. If he magically waives his NMC, he'd be gone in any deal that came their way.

And 3rd best of the team means nothing there because that D core is atrocious.
That defense core (minus Ceci) got the Oilers to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, with Nurse playing where he is now. We basically need to find Nurse a solid partner, and our defense core is fine to push for a cup run once again.

Nurse is a good 2nd pair defenseman, with flaws that come out when he tries to do too much. The issue is of course that he is paid like a #1 defenseman., and for a #1, "doing too much" shouldn't be a thing, and making those mistakes shouldn't happen either. But he is overpaid, and the Oilers need to work around that. Overpaid is not the same as being a bad player though. Nurse still has a spot on the Oilers, leading our 2nd defense pair.

If I am so wrong, can you explain what that trade actually does for Edmonton? It makes us a worse team today for sure. There's no way having Jarry as a backup is something any NHL team should be doing. Graves would do nothing but bump Brett Kulak to our 2nd pair, and we don't want that, Kulak is basically the perfect 3rd pair anchor. It gets us out of a contract of a guy who is overpaid by 2 - 3 M. per year, long term. I don't blame you for not wanting to take his contract, because you already have so much tied up in overpaid veteran defensemen, so I'm not saying Pittsburgh should do the deal, but its really a "take Edmonton's overpaid player for Pittsburgh's unwanted players" deal. That doesn't work for Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad