James van Riemsdyk not traded to Detroit

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yeah the theory that SY just forgot for a moment that he couldn't retain salary on JVR doesn't hold water.

No I think they were going to take the route of someone (Perron) for a better return, bring in JVR on an expiring deal. He walks and we incrementally improve picks. Maybe re-up for 2 years at a low cost just for veteran presence.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Yeah the theory that SY just forgot for a moment that he couldn't retain salary on JVR doesn't hold water.

much more likely that Fletcher just screwed it up somehow

edit: it’s honestly kind of wild that some of you think an NHL team would “forget” they used 3/3 retention slots lol

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No I think they were going to take the route of someone (Perron) for a better return, bring in JVR on an expiring deal. He walks and we incrementally improve picks. Maybe re-up for 2 years at a low cost just for veteran presence.

It was JvR going to 3rd team for picks via us.

And could be that failed medical killed the trade. Final destination (Seattle?) didn't want him.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If another move was the hang up I wonder if Yzerman was looking to trade Fabbri or Perron to a contender and bring JVR in as backfill?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher says he ``didn't receive a firm offer from any team'' on JVR. Says they spoke with one team about a trade concept. But it was conditional on that team making another move. And that move didn't happen. Worked the market hard past few weeks but no fit.

This kind of clears the scenario. Yzerman was working something, but it didn't pan out.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Yeah that all makes sense there were probably moving parts and it didn't come together.

I saw James van Riemsdyk and was like
giphy.gif

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
File this one away as a potential Detroit target for a David Perron-type deal on July 1...

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

This is kind of what I was thinking might be going on. That some team was trying to get Yzerman to pull a "Kyle Quincey 2012" and fetch JVR for them because they could only make it work with some bad salary that the Flyers didn't want to take back.

Otherwise JVR to Detroit for anything somewhat positive in value makes zero sense.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It was JvR going to 3rd team for picks via us.

And could be that failed medical killed the trade. Final destination (Seattle?) didn't want him.

You don’t know that. There are multiple different versions of the story. None of them can be considered credible

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Another Wings fan posted that Yzerman was livid at the whole handling of this trade. Posted this....

screenshot_20230304-115558_chrome-jpg.662987

Do we think there is any truth to this? Not sure because it is Facebook and don't know who the source behind this Facebook thing is.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Another Wings fan posted that Yzerman was livid at the whole handling of this trade. Posted this....

screenshot_20230304-115558_chrome-jpg.662987

Do we think there is any truth to this? Not sure because it is Facebook and don't know who the source behind this Facebook thing is.
As I posted on the trade board, if it's real, an actual insider will get a hold of it.

Reactions: Oddbob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad