25 Years Ago-NO GOAL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Exactly what you described with the sticks and gloves being thrown can still happen, followed by a review overturning it. Not a good situation.
Without any good solution that come to mind, there is a giant cost to create a pause between a goal and the celebration in sports (one of the main reason why that skate rules was terrible) and obviously loosing the cup on a bad call cannot be fixed in any way.

The live monitor room with a hearpiece in the referee being the best one we can think of, so anything egregious can be called right away (and if it was not egregious right away to a literal video replay room with the modern amount of camera, we should be more than gracious to the referee that would have missed it live)

Last edited:

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
This is one of the most overblown things in hockey history. Brian Holzinger is more to blame than the officials probably...

Having your skate in the crease wasn't exactly penalized by having your foot immediately amputated. A player could bring the puck into the crease and be with it...

Anson Carter skates into the crease with the puck and scores. No big deal... (hell, go back in that same video and look at Ray Bourque's goal)

The play was reviewed and it was a (good) goal.

Man, I'm LOVING the foot amputation strategy!!

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
A few more comments:

1) Not Brett Hull's fault. What's he gonna do. Take back the goal?

2) The whole thought process of it was a good goal normally without the stupid rule doesn't really mean much. The rule AT THE TIME is all that matters.

3) Dallas was still favorites to win the Cup even had the call been called back. True and Dallas may have been the better team but that's like saying let's hand Florida the Cup right now because it's likely they win it anyway in the end. Anyway, if Dallas was that superior to the Sabres why were they fighting for their lives in triple OT of Game Six?

My Best-Carey
I'm assuming it had something to do with the Sabers having the best goalie of all time in Hasek and anyone who watched that series knew the Sabers were only going as far as Hasek took them. Still a good team though Mike Peca was my fav player as a kid just the perfect hockey play, and I always liked Miroslav Satan.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Good goal. Rule was if puck was in the crease, player could enter. If they had possession of the puck, they could be in the crease. Puck was in crease, Hull's foot went in, kicked puck to his stick, shot it in net.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Good goal. Rule was if puck was in the crease, player could enter. If they had possession of the puck, they could be in the crease. Puck was in crease, Hull's foot went in, kicked puck to his stick, shot it in net.
Here's how the rulebook looked in 1999:

Rule 78. (b) Unless the puck is in the goal crease area, a player of the attacking side may not stand in the goal crease. If a player has entered the crease prior to the puck, and subsequently the puck should enter the net while such conditions prevail, the apparent goal shall not be allowed.

Nothing here about possession. Hull's foot was in the crease before the puck. This is consistent with how the rule was applied in dozens or even hundreds of times that season. Even empty net goals were called back if the player entered the crease before the puck (even if the scoring player brought the pick into the crease themselves).

My Best-Carey

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Here's how the rulebook looked in 1999:

Rule 78. (b) Unless the puck is in the goal crease area, a player of the attacking side may not stand in the goal crease. If a player has entered the crease prior to the puck, and subsequently the puck should enter the net while such conditions prevail, the apparent goal shall not be allowed.

Nothing here about possession. Hull's foot was in the crease before the puck. This is consistent with how the rule was applied in dozens or even hundreds of times that season. Even empty net goals were called back if the player entered the crease before the puck (even if the scoring player brought the pick into the crease themselves).

My Best-Carey
It was often spoken about on broadcasts. If the player has possesion, he could enter the crease first. Happened on breakaways. Do not recall a single ENG being waived off for that reason.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's not completely comparable, but the Hand of God is the most famous missed call ever in sports. The most famous player in the world at the time. It was the Quarter Finals, and it wasn't the deciding goal, but it was big.

Touching the ball with your hand is the most fundamental no-no in the sport.
Also the decisive 1966 World Cup final extra-time goal that never crossed the line is up there.

World-Cup-1966-Goal.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad