Waived: James Neal | Clears

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
And he's never had huge numbers to warrant a contract nearly that big.

the more I think about it the less I am inclined to want the oilers to resign nuge unless it is for same as what he is making now

given this season - a contract year - RNH certainly seems less than impressive - got to think there is better use for that money

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
the more I think about it the less I am inclined to want the oilers to resign nuge unless it is for same as what he is making now

given this season - a contract year - RNH certainly seems less than impressive - got to think there is better use for that money

The uncertainty about the future revenues and cap figures has to be a concern to Holland.

In 2019----35% of NHL revenues were from gate receipts but an additional 40% came from game day sales of merchandise, concessions etc. etc.

All GM's have to be wondering how long it will be before we see a return the game day receipts of 2019. There is no way to tell and no way to know what the effects on the cap will be but I can't see things returning to "normal" in a hurry. We shall see--hope I'm wrong.

Brown Cat

Hates OP
Jan 7, 2021

In all honesty, nuge should be traded this season. He's such a vanilla player it's astounding. He plays with McDavid, yet he only has 11 points on the year, most of them coming off the power play. I know we will only get rental value, but it's better than the coming contract woes he will bring if he stays.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
In all honesty, nuge should be traded this season. He's such a vanilla player it's astounding. He plays with McDavid, yet he only has 11 points on the year, most of them coming off the power play. I know we will only get rental value, but it's better than the coming contract woes he will bring if he stays.

Extend nugeand trade him for josh Anderson

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

I do think trading him makes sense at this point. Nuge has been through a lot over the years with coach after coach and watching his good friends get traded, but I feel like it's time. He's been a great Oiler and I respect the professionalism he's shown during all the garbage. Most would have probably snapped by now but not him. lol. He will fetch a decent return probably in the form of a goaltender or some defense which is far more valuable for the team now.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Usually we agree but on this I’d go a hard no. You don’t give up first round picks to get rid of players. We aren’t gonna be hurting this year or next cap wise as we have lots coming off the books. Would rather just let him play out his contract if possible. Having a player is always better than dead cap space if you can fit it. At least you know what you have. I hate how we are still paying for pouliot, sekera and lucic when we really didn’t need to be (ok maybe other than lucic)
I forgot all about Pouliot. Did he ever play again after he left here? What a bust that signing was.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I forgot all about Pouliot. Did he ever play again after he left here? What a bust that signing was.
He was an OK player until last seasin.I wish I could understand him as a player, but he was OK with McDavid. He could fly on the skates. Last year he just fall flat on the face. Just as Marke Fayne did his last year. I really wonder what happend with those two,

Pouliot seems to be retired now. Something must have gone completly wrong with his body.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
That's why I think there is zero chance Neal gets bought out.

Those four year buyouts kill you. The Oilers are still penalized for Benoit Pouliot ffs.

The team can afford one more year of full Neal. It would be better to trade him to Nashville with $2.75 million retained than to buy him out.

I think a side deal with James Neal + Oilers first 2022 with Seattle.´would be ideal.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think a side deal with James Neal + Oilers first 2022 with Seattle.´would be ideal.

No. Pissing away first round draft picks is not the way to go. The Oilers last eight first round draft picks are the present and future of this team.

Nurse/Draisaitl/McDavid/Puljujarvi/Yamamoto/Bouchard/Broberg/Holloway

With Bouchard and Puljujarvi's emergence this season it looks like eight solid first round picks in a row. McDavid was obviously a no-brainer, but all the rest of turned out pretty well with Puljujarvi being the reason I wouldn't say eight excellent picks in a row.

Neal's contract is bad, but not worth trading a first round pick to get rid of.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
He played one season with Buffalo after. Injuries really took a toll on him. He was living up to expectations in his first two years then dropped right off. 35 points in 57 games both of his first years but could never stay healthy

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

That's exactly it. We are a team that has two cap hits totalling 21 million, so we just don't have the luxury of risking signing a forward who is going to be in their 30s for most of their contract, and for over 6 million AAV (and apparently he wants more than 7).

We are tight to the cap, and think of all the young players we're are going to have to re-sign, who are bargains now. It's going to be tight even if Neal was LTIRetired. And yes, we need to be thinking of 3 years in the future and beyond.

And in theory we want to find a goalie worth giving more than 4 million to.

And I love Nuge. There are teams out there who don't have the huge cap hits, and maybe a veteran team who doesn't have a ton of young talent who need raises right away, who can overpay a bit for a little risk. And maybe in the back years of the deal, everyone will be in decline on that team and will be rebuild time anyway. We can't have those back years while Drai and McDavid are still in their primes

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
And I love Nuge. There are teams out there who don't have the huge cap hits, and maybe a veteran team who doesn't have a ton of young talent who need raises right away, who can overpay a bit for a little risk

That's the concern. It all comes down to motivation. The Oilers probably won't be able to give Nuge the most overall money. Who knows what motivates people, but that is certainly part of the decision for any player.

If Nuge re-signs with the Oilers that will be a real sign that he wants to win a cup and thinks this is the best situation for him to do so.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
All you guys panicking to run Nuge out of town are ridiculous. That line has an unreal 57% Fenwick and is dominating all scoring chance stats. The thing is that line is shooting 4% and we should all know that won't last. If the team lets Nuge walk they will regret it big time. Early that line had no chemistry, especially with Kassian, but I think lately they've been dominating and pucks just aren't going in. Nuge isn't on that line just for scoring but for defense too. Why can't we have nice things? The top 6 isn't the issue and it sure as f*** isn't Nuge but sure lets run a 10 year Oiler out of town based on the early goings of a season with no preseason because his line is snakebit. Like come on guys you'd think all of you would have learned from last seasons failed and ridiculous witch hunt. Always trying to run good players in this town... Arnott... Petry... ect... It gets old.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
All you guys panicking to run Nuge out of town are ridiculous.

The top 6 isn't the issue and it sure as f*** isn't Nuge but sure lets run a 10 year Oiler out of town based on the early goings of a season with no preseason because his line is snakebit.

Seems strange to chastise people for emotional behaviour with an emotional rant. What is the advanced stat that measures snakebites?

Who is running Nuge out of town? Lots of numbers in your post but you missed the two most important numbers what's all those fancy stats mean with respect to AAV and term?

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
If a player gets bought out and signs with another team seems to me he makes more money. Sekera for example.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
All you guys panicking to run Nuge out of town are ridiculous. That line has an unreal 57% Fenwick and is dominating all scoring chance stats. The thing is that line is shooting 4% and we should all know that won't last. If the team lets Nuge walk they will regret it big time. Early that line had no chemistry, especially with Kassian, but I think lately they've been dominating and pucks just aren't going in. Nuge isn't on that line just for scoring but for defense too. Why can't we have nice things? The top 6 isn't the issue and it sure as f*** isn't Nuge but sure lets run a 10 year Oiler out of town based on the early goings of a season with no preseason because his line is snakebit. Like come on guys you'd think all of you would have learned from last seasons failed and ridiculous witch hunt. Always trying to run good players in this town... Arnott... Petry... ect... It gets old.

I don’t mind Nuge, but given he’s not playing Center and is more of a complimentary player, he needs to be paid accordingly. $7M+ is way too much.

Reactions: McOilers97 and LTIR

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The "why can't we have nice things" logic also applies to when Nashville signed Turris and Duchene, why we signed Lucic, Calgary got Neal, etc. I don't think anyone wanted Petry or Arnott out of town, and they left when they were entering their prime, not exiting. I don't think Nuge is exiting yet, but yes, I would be fine with a 3 year deal on Nuge for that reason. I'm worried about the 32 year old Nuge. It's also pretty obvious that his offensive climb has come because of who he plays with now. What happens when Holloway takes that spot? Puljujarvi? So with Yama that's one spot left, and how much does everyone cost?

There's zero emotion in me looking at this. If I were following emotion I'd say sign RNH at all costs. I would like some continuity with the old rebuild, sure, and he's been a great soldier for us all these years.

I'm just for seeing a day, a few years from now, where maybe Bouchard's deal is up and he just had a 65 point season or Yama had 40+ goals, and that player that explodes is the one that has to go, because we just had to sign Nuge a few years ago, and he's on the 3rd line now, and there's no money left.

Reactions: McOilers97

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
No. Pissing away first round draft picks is not the way to go. The Oilers last eight first round draft picks are the present and future of this team.

Nurse/Draisaitl/McDavid/Puljujarvi/Yamamoto/Bouchard/Broberg/Holloway

With Bouchard and Puljujarvi's emergence this season it looks like eight solid first round picks in a row. McDavid was obviously a no-brainer, but all the rest of turned out pretty well with Puljujarvi being the reason I wouldn't say eight excellent picks in a row.

Neal's contract is bad, but not worth trading a first round pick to get rid of.

Dependsnof what that capspace could bring in. After this season Nurse - who gas been bridged two times niw, Yamamoto (probably bridge too now), Nuge, Barrie need bew contracts.
Barrie Im unsure of, cause Oilers need defence - means in ny world Larsson or Barrie goes, one stays. Meanwhile K.Russel, Koskinen and Neal have all expensive contracts that sucks and are expensive - impossible to get rid of.

If you could - package Koskinen and Neal and a first and send that letterbomb to Seattle.

And in the end of the day, you have Kassians 3.1$, but that is a ”shit happens” contract.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think Nuge is exiting yet, but yes, I would be fine with a 3 year deal on Nuge for that reason. I'm worried about the 32 year old Nuge. It's also pretty obvious that his offensive climb has come because of who he plays with now.

Thank you for providing some parameters on what you would keep Nuge around for 3 years at $7 million per.

That would likely mean one of Barrie and Larsson isn't re-signed which is ok.

Don't think I would want to go past $7 million or three years.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
It's the supposed $7-8 AAV into his 30's that's scaring everyone.

Its safer to assume NO players age gracefully into their mid-30's than predicting the 3-4 who actually do.

Nuge will get worse each passing year from this point on. Is he worth $7-8m AAV now? And will he be when he's a 25 point depth player.

Reactions: Snipes45

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad