Waived: James Neal | Clears

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
That's why I think there is zero chance Neal gets bought out.

Those four year buyouts kill you. The Oilers are still penalized for Benoit Pouliot ffs.

The team can afford one more year of full Neal. It would be better to trade him to Nashville with $2.75 million retained than to buy him out.

Some good points but why would Nashville want him if they think he's done as I suspect most of the league does?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
They must have a bad one we can take back... Johannsen?

I think your post is in jest but if the Oilers took on that contract then the "Fire Holland" thread might become a reality.

It incredible how Johannsen was able to get that type of money from the Preds. WTF were they thinking? Must have been too many nights in the city's juke halls.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Some good points but why would Nashville want him if they think he's done as I suspect most of the league does?

I don't understand your question. Of course wherever Neal is traded the team would have to want him.

Nashville is the most likely destination. He was apparently well-liked when he played for Nashville.

This deal could definitely work. The Oilers retain $2.75M and the deal could work. A fan favourite playing his final two years with the Predators? Why not. He is still a 25 to 35 points a year guy. For $3 million a season that isn't terrible.

The Predators have four forwards entering the final year of their contracts in 2021-22 in the $1.5 million to $2.3 million range.

Say the Oilers take on one of the forwards at $2 million for example. The Oilers save $1 million the first year and $3 million the second year. The Predators get Neal for $1 million and then $3 million. Two years at $2 million aav isn't bad.

I have no idea about the Nashville roster other than salary so am unsure if any of those forwards would fit. But Neal is not impossible to trade. Better cap management than buying him out for sure.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Speaking of the Preds, I see Josi listed as 8 years remaining at a cap hit of 9M per year and he is already 30 years of age. Is this a misprint?? If not then why are these GM's bent on economic hell?

When you are in business you never know what next year will bring never mind this kind of time frame.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Best hope for Neal is that the Oilers can swing an arrangement with Seattle before the expansion draft. Vegas made a ton of these deals and it could be as simple as paying a price to get Seattle to take Neal. Is a guaranty of getting Jones enough? If I'm Seattle, I'd want more - something like Jones and a 2022 2nd and 2023 4th for Vegas to select Neal.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Speaking of the Preds, I see Josi listed as 8 years remaining at a cap hit of 9M per year and he is already 30 years of age. Is this a misprint?? If not then why are these GM's bent on economic hell?

When you are in business you never know what next year will bring never mind this kind of time frame.

He's one of the best dmen in the game, and likely plays well into his mid-late 30's. I don't see it as a problem. Unless he fell off a cliff this year and I've been unaware?

Reactions: nabob

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

D who are consistently top 5/10 get paid.

Brown Cat

Hates OP
Jan 7, 2021
\
I think your post is in jest but if the Oilers took on that contract then the "Fire Holland" thread might become a reality.

It incredible how Johannsen was able to get that type of money from the Preds. WTF were they thinking? Must have been too many nights in the city's juke halls.

Remember those Johannsen > Nuge threads? Good times, good times.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
That's why I think there is zero chance Neal gets bought out.

Those four year buyouts kill you. The Oilers are still penalized for Benoit Pouliot ffs.

The team can afford one more year of full Neal. It would be better to trade him to Nashville with $2.75 million retained than to buy him out.

I tend to agree buyouts are killer. But Holland hasn't been afraid of them in the past. He bought out the final 2 years of Weiss' contract in Detroit and one of his first moves in Edmonton was buying out the final 2 years of Sekera's contract.

The extra cherry on top with the Neal situation is we've still got that .75M from Lucic that Holland retained. We have to deal with that regardless of what we do with Neal.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

In a 2 year span they signed Johansen to $8Mx8, Turris to $6Mx6 and Matt Duchene to $8Mx7.

That is frankly astonishing.

All three are pretty good examples of what not to do with Nuge.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017

That is hardly the contract that sticks out on the Preds

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
In a 2 year span they signed Johansen to $8Mx8, Turris to $6Mx6 and Matt Duchene to $8Mx7.

That is frankly astonishing.

All three are pretty good examples of what not to do with Nuge.

Agreed-- astonishing is the right term.

Turris at 6*6 and right now he looks like bottom 6 is a compliment? Madness.

North

Jun 25, 2009
You think he'll still be in that quality range in 5 years? 9M a year?

It’s not about what are you going to do for me in 5 years. It’s what are you doing for me now and likely to do for a little while longer when it comes to d men like Josi.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

I didn't realize it was 8x8....

That trade by Poile for Jones might be one worst ever.

Reactions: gordonhught

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad