Waived: James Neal | Clears

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Agreed. I don't think anything should happen with him till after next year. Way too much dead cap space to leave on the table for too long. We've already been stung by the crippling Pouliot and Sekera buyouts.

True but carrying the guy for a whopping 5.75M cap hit next year will be tough especially if you can no longer play him.

He was never fast but seems to have lost a step.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
True but carrying the guy for a whopping 5.75M cap hit next year will be tough especially if you can no longer play him.

He was never fast but seems to have lost a step.
Neal has been fine. Not 5.75M good but better than Turris/Chiasson/Nygard/Shore etc. He was fine in a bottom 6 role.

Reactions: nabob and dssource

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This caught me off guard, but I agree that this is likely just cap related unless it's one step farther than him being a HS after his 2 goal game because of disconnect between the player and coaching staff?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This caught me off guard, but I agree that this is likely just cap related unless it's one step farther than him being a HS after his 2 goal game because of disconnect between the player and coaching staff?

Yes, I wonder too.

There was definitely a problem with the Flames coaching and management staff but perhaps that was just a one-off.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
No but as someone said he's not going to leave 11.5M on the table. You can bet Lucic plays out his contract too.
Exactly why you offer him his currently salary to play a role in player development!

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Yes, I wonder too.

There was definitely a problem with the Flames coaching and management staff but perhaps that was just a one-off.

From what I heard of it, Flames were crybabies to start it off. Which I suppose isn’t that surprising. I’m pretty certain he’s well liked in the room here. It’s a paper transaction

Reactions: TB12

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The club was really counting on 4 guys to provide at least some firepower up front this season but the results to date have been underwhelming.

Chiasson-- gone after this season.

Neal-- Will be bought out after this season or next.

Kassian- An enigma wrapped in a mystery.

RNH-- I still think he will go on a hot streak before the season is over but he isn't playing like a 6M man and I really wonder what Holland is thinking about giving him a raise in a long term contract. It will be a real test for Holland in this situation.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
Yes, my calculations too.

9.55M for option 1
7.6M for option 2

but at least with option 1 you get him off the books a year earlier.

Both are ugly deals for the team.

Is this guy well liked in the dressing room? I have heard some conflicting things on him but who knows.
From what I’ve heard, yes he is quite well liked. Apparently he’s a bit of a joker.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
Or a trade but that is extremely unlikely.

I’d give up our first if Seattle took Neal but I’m not the GM. Holland wants his first round picks it sounds.
Usually we agree but on this I’d go a hard no. You don’t give up first round picks to get rid of players. We aren’t gonna be hurting this year or next cap wise as we have lots coming off the books. Would rather just let him play out his contract if possible. Having a player is always better than dead cap space if you can fit it. At least you know what you have. I hate how we are still paying for pouliot, sekera and lucic when we really didn’t need to be (ok maybe other than lucic)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Usually we agree but on this I’d go a hard no. You don’t give up first round picks to get rid of players. We aren’t gonna be hurting this year or next cap wise as we have lots coming off the books. Would rather just let him play out his contract if possible. Having a player is always better than dead cap space if you can fit it. At least you know what you have. I hate how we are still paying for pouliot, sekera and lucic when we really didn’t need to be (ok maybe other than lucic)

I agree in general with what your saying for sure. However with the cap space that would open up could allow us to get that goalie we so desperately need or a scoring winger or legit high end 3C.

Considering that, it would be worth a mid to low first for my money and not tying up cap space with a buyout.

Honestly given how precious cap space is now for everyone a first round pick probably wouldn’t even be enough for Seattle to take Neal off our hands.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
Just looking at cap friendly, we have lots of options for saving money next year. True the nuge extension will come into play, but most contracts off the books are replaceable pieces. I mean even not resigning Adam Larson would give us a ton of space as I think we have replacements ready. If the neal buyout is 1.9 for each year, we could probably get one really good player each year for that price tag. We lose flexibility down the road. If we didn’t have the pouliot or sekera buyouts this year, we have money for our good third line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad