Former Bruins Jakub Lauko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Such a cool story with his Dad.

I like what the kid brings, and I think it will only get better as he gets more games under his belt. Not sure if thats the fourth line going forward but IMO he definitely deserves a further look if any of the three do.

Reactions: sarge88

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

WASHINGTON — The little kid inside Jakub Lauko woke up Wednesday morning in the Bruins five-star hotel, rubbed his eyes, rubbed them once more to be sure, and then realized it was true.
In just a few hours, he’d play in the NHL for the first time, his last step in a very long journey, the first step in a career still to be determined.
“Not nervous,” said the 22-year-old Czech forward prior to faceoff against the Capitals. “Just like excited to be here. I feel privileged.”
Lauko finished the Bruins’ 5-2 win with 11:36 of ice time, 2:10 on the penalty kill. He picked up his skating pace over the course of the game, twice drawing penalties in the opening 10 minutes of the third period, disrupting the flow of the Capitals’ offense.

“That’s why we want him in the lineup, his ability to draw penalties with his speed,” said coach Jim Montgomery, “and to take pucks to hard areas.”

“I don’t think I was surprised,” said Lauko. “But obviously, when Monty said, ‘You’re going to go,’ I was like, ‘OK, this is going to be interesting.’ I was actually happy because I didn’t have any time to be nervous. I jumped right into it and didn’t have wait two, three, four minutes on the bench, waiting, shaking, and thinking, ‘OK, is this it?’ It was a pretty nice shift for the start, so that helped.”

Lauko, though, debuted as a true NHL neophyte, suiting up with a spoked-B on his chest for the first time since the club selected him No. 77 in the 2018 draft. At about 195 pounds, he is some 20 heavier than he was on his draft day, and he’s far better versed on the twists, turns, and weight of disappointment that so many kids face on their path to the big time.

Then came reality, the hard truth that very few kids breeze their way into the best hockey league in the world.

Then came even worse. Last year, his third as a pro, Lauko was still in Providence, his numbers were low (3-13–16 in 54 games), and his confidence even lower.

“Injuries, hadn’t played well, I lost all my confidence I had from previous years,” Lauko recalled late Wednesday morning following the club’s day-of-game workout. “I hit … let’s say with hockey … I hit the rock bottom. And it was hard to drag myself out of it.”

So he went back over the summer to Czechia, to his small hometown outside Prague, and Lauko literally fought his way back, sandwiching his usual offseason skating sessions with exhausting workouts in Greco-Roman wrestling and Muay Thai boxing.

I was sitting in the locker room after it,” recalled Lauko, thinking back to some of his boxing and wrestling training sessions, often doing both the same day, “and I was like, ‘What the hell did I drag myself into?!’ I couldn’t even lift my hands, or stand up.”

Lauko picked up Muay Thai (often referred to as kick boxing) in part because a family friend, Jiri Zak, now 44, is among the best Muay Thai fighters Czechia has produced. Another family friend, pals with Lauko’s dad, led him through the Greco-Roman paces.

“Even when I was sparring with them, fighting with them, it’s unbelievable strength and conditioning,” said Lauko. “It’s crazy, crazy how hard it is.”

Typically, boxers and wrestlers compete against athletes in their weight class, in large part for safety. Goliaths go against fellow bigs. The little guys take on others for Lilliput.

“Even the guys 30 pounds lighter were throwing me everywhere,” said a smiling Lauko, able to laugh with the pain tucked neatly away on the other side of the Atlantic. “It’s no fun.”

In tandem, said Lauko, the two sports built his strength and resilience and confidence. They reawakened his fun factor. As a side benefit, he feels both skills could come in handy on the ice, if rough comes his way. Today’s NHL rarely demands such tussles anymore. But if so, he can draw on the training.

“Feel like I can handle myself better out there,” he said. “If it’s necessary.”

“Ooof,” said Lauko, asked what went through his mind as he arose from a restless night’s sleep. “It was kind of like a strange feeling, because it was hard, especially last season, there were moments during the season I thought like it was not going to work out for me here.

“But, just feeling, just knowing I am in this locker room for the first game of the season, it feels really good. I’m just happy I stayed and I kept working.”

The night complete, his first game in the books, Lauko noted feeling a sense of relief.

“I think it was pretty decent, and I was happy how it [went],” said Lauko, whose parents, fresh of a flight from Prague, made it in time for the opening faceoff with only 10 minutes to spare. “They fly back tomorrow, but it’s the first one so I am really glad they made it.”

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
played a real nice game, played within himself, thought Foligno played well too and Nosek, that`s my way of, for one game at least, eating some Nosek and Foligno flavored crow

Reactions: TCB

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Not ready to eat crow yet, but...

I liked Lauko since we drafted him. Been rooting for him all the way.
That said, I worried about his ability to score at the NHL level and his consistency in Providence. Then the injuries hit and I lamented he might be done.

Then he has a great camp and makes the roster while not being a problem on his line the whole first game. In fact, I thought he got better as the game went along(jitters?).
Still not sold on his scoring ability. But if he can keep this up he might just keep his spot and become a coach favorite in the bottom 6.

Reactions: TCB

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

That said, I worried about his ability to score at the NHL level and his consistency in Providence. Then the injuries hit and I lamented he might be done.

Then he has a great camp and makes the roster while not being a problem on his line the whole first game. In fact, I thought he got better as the game went along(jitters?).
Still not sold on his scoring ability. But if he can keep this up he might just keep his spot and become a coach favorite in the bottom 6.
While I thought the 4th line was very good last night, I too worry not just about Lauko but Nosek and Foligno if that`s the line moving forward to contribute offensively. It doesn`t have to be every game but that line can`t put up donut holes for 6-8 game stretches

That said, they did create a few chances, hopefully a few of those go in, very solid game from Lauko who I thought looked, as you stated, more comfortable as the game went along

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
While I thought the 4th line was very good last night, I too worry not just about Lauko but Nosek and Foligno if that`s the line moving forward to contribute offensively. It doesn`t have to be every game but that line can`t put up donut holes for 6-8 game stretches

That said, they did create a few chances, hopefully a few of those go in, very solid game from Lauko who I thought looked, as you stated, more comfortable as the game went along
I, actually, think Monty will mix up his bottom 6 to keep them fresh and try different combinations to test for chemistry. Time will tell if he makes a fool out of me.

Reactions: BradMarchandismydad

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
the thing about Lauko's game last night is that finally we had a kid crack the lineup and didn't just look invisible or overmatched. And the great thing about his performance specifically is that the things he did well are totally repeatable. If he'd come out and scored a couple of goals in 10 mins of ice time then obviously people would be excited, but there'd be a real risk that it was just luck/adrenaline and not repeatable.

But last night his speed, tenacity & smarts are how he added value. These are all things within his control and can be done every night. If he starts to chip in offensively that's great, but doing the little things in the bottom 6 is how he's gonna stick. drawing the 2 penalties was huge and I also think he perfectly understands and fits Montgomery's mandate to play more below the goal line. If a kid like Senyshyn had done the same in his chances here he'd probably still be with the team.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
the thing about Lauko's game last night is that finally we had a kid crack the lineup and didn't just look invisible or overmatched. And the great thing about his performance specifically is that the things he did well are totally repeatable. If he'd come out and scored a couple of goals in 10 mins of ice time then obviously people would be excited, but there'd be a real risk that it was just luck/adrenaline and not repeatable.

But last night his speed, tenacity & smarts are how he added value. These are all things within his control and can be done every night. If he starts to chip in offensively that's great, but doing the little things in the bottom 6 is how he's gonna stick. drawing the 2 penalties was huge and I also think he perfectly understands and fits Montgomery's mandate to play more below the goal line. If a kid like Senyshyn had done the same in his chances here he'd probably still be with the team.
He looked like he was there to play - rather than to make sure he was in the right spot and not making a mistake.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Lauko looked like an NHL player in the 2020/21 season . Don't know what happened last season but I'm glad he has found his form
Go back to your Fauci avatar.

Just read an article about his off season training this past summer. Due to the unfortunate injury riddled Providence season, he stepped away from hockey and trained in Greco-Roman wrestling and Mauy Tai.
I bet this will directly benefit his ability to take the physicality of the NHL, the corner work and in front of the net.
Shades of Z.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Didn't he say right after he was drafted that he eas going to be the steal of the draft or somethong like that? Clearly doesn't lack confidence!

He looked good tonight, he made a difference. Hopefully he keeps it up.
Evidently, he did.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I, actually, think Monty will mix up his bottom 6 to keep them fresh and try different combinations to test for chemistry. Time will tell if he makes a fool out of me.
think you are right. One thing I saw with Monty last night is he had little hesitation putting Lauko out there,, on the PK no less in game 1 of the season, this isn`t a hammer Butch post but not sure Cassidy would do that in game 1 of the season

There was a shift in the 2nd period where Lauko`s closing speed forced first Orlov then Van R into making very poor plays with the puck, nice to see, I don`t typically look at the stat sheet so not sure how many hits he might have been credited with but the kid was all over the opposition last night, you could almost tell the Caps simply didn`t expect it, not sure they had a huge scouting report on him

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
think you are right. One thing I saw with Monty last night is he had little hesitation putting Lauko out there,, on the PK no less in game 1 of the season, this isn`t a hammer Butch post but not sure Cassidy would do that in game 1 of the season

There was a shift in the 2nd period where Lauko`s closing speed forced first Orlov then Van R into making very poor plays with the puck, nice to see, I don`t typically look at the stat sheet so not sure how many hits he might have been credited with but the kid was all over the opposition last night, you could almost tell the Caps simply didn`t expect it, not sure they had a huge scouting report on him
in the very brief glimpses i've gotten of him (in preseason and last night) one thing that really stood out to me is that he is always looking to make contact. I don't mean hitting, i just mean like...if he's in a 1-on-1 situation with a guy, he likes to have zero air between them. he leans on guys, gets under them, jostles and jockeys with them, etc. the kid thrives on the full contact nature of the game. again, it's not about being a bruiser per se, but he really doesn't give opponents much space.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
His 2020-21 AHL numbers look great, even though that was a limited season. Last season not so much, but awesome that he put in the work and it's paid off. I'm excited to watch him this season, would be great if he turned into a consistent NHLer. The speed and PK ability are a great asset but if he can get some offense to with that he will have a great career.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

He was credited with 3 hits 20 shifts for 11:36 TOI.He played 2:10 on PK.

Reactions: CDJ and Grimey

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He definitely did not look out of place tonight. Always an interesting thing to watch how a player handles his first game (and whatever they get after it).

Noticeable in a good way. Build on it. Points will be hard to come by with his line mates but make things happen and he could stick. Being able to play both sides is nice as he provides versatility.
Best player on his line last night

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Stats can be deceiving but the only things that stand out positively from Lauko's junior/minor record are his shortened 2020-21 season in Providence pre-injury, and that one year in the QMJHL when he absolutely tore it up. Nothing else screams obvious NHL talent. He has that genuine speed though, and some tenacity. With some good hockey smarts and consistent effort that might be enough to make it stick at this level. I don't think he's never going to score many goals - nothing about his play or past numbers suggests he's got that in him - but there's a place for a faster version of Joakim Nordstrom in this league if he keeps putting that motor to work and does all the little things well.

Unfortunately for Lauko he's going to be the type of player who's always having to prove he belongs, but all he can do is keep working hard and making his case. In his debut he was not overawed, and that's a good start.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Unfortunately for Lauko he's going to be the type of player who's always having to prove he belongs, but all he can do is keep working hard and making his case. In his debut he was not overawed, and that's a good start.
That's exactly the mentality it'd be great for the everyone on the team to have (whether its belonging in the NHL, belonging in a top 6, in a playoff game, in a finals game, or in the hall of fame).

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
That's exactly the mentality it'd be great for the everyone on the team to have (whether its belonging in the NHL, belonging in a top 6, in a playoff game, in a finals game, or in the hall of fame).

Absolutely. And the gold standard of that wears the 'C' on this team, so everyone in the locker room has an outstanding example to follow.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Did not see the first game, but I am impressed with the kid's story. I like him as a bottom sixer. I just hope he can sustain something like that freakish workout routine. It reminds me of what I have read about Yaz in 67.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad