Player Discussion Jakob Chychrun (D)

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
IMO we will improve three ways, hopefully anyway.

1. Internal growth. Greig, Pinto and Sanderson at the minimum will be improved players. To me Pinto and Greig will be solid second line players. Sanderson will improve and could even make the step to be one of the league's better #1 D. I think Stützle bounces back as well.

2. We become a more balanced team. Chychrun is gone. Hopefully we can replace him with a RD who gets the puck back from the other team quickly. Chychrun is a good player but he wasn't the right guy for this team.

3. We get solid coaching right out of the gate. Obviously depends on who we hire but this should be improved over years past.

Then there are things we can't control but could lead to improvement, like being extra healthy (eg. Norris and Chabot actually avoid injury) and, this is the big one, having our goalies make a f***ing save or two.

We will be better than we were last year, IMO.

There might be areas we are worse in though.

Like we could be more balanced, but less skilled...and then maybe all of a sudden we're defending well, but can't seem to hit the back of the net.

No one knows.

But the idea of replacing skilled players with grit, definitely does balance this team more...so it COULD benefit the team, but it could also mean with less skill, we have less puck possession and maybe struggle to make break out passes or to get the puck out of our net.

We can't just assume that every trade of roster or turnover of players will be a beneficial one. It could get worse.

Replacing chychrun and brannstrom with 2 big shut down D definitely makes us harder to play against. But does it mean a lot of plays are off the glass and out and back on the other teams stick?

Everyone is assuming that moves we make will improve us...but is anyone considering that moves we make can also make us worse?

Everyone is getting too positive around here where they're automatically assuming improvements...that's not how it works. Improvements aren't automatic.

Reactions: BigRig4

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Like we could be more balanced, but less skilled...and then maybe all of a sudden we're defending well, but can't seem to hit the back of the net.

No one knows.

But the idea of replacing skilled players with grit, definitely does balance this team more...so it COULD benefit the team, but it could also mean with less skill, we have less puck possession and maybe struggle to make break out passes or to get the puck out of our net.

We can't just assume that every trade of roster or turnover of players will be a beneficial one. It could get worse.

Replacing chychrun and brannstrom with 2 big shut down D definitely makes us harder to play against. But does it mean a lot of plays are off the glass and out and back on the other teams stick?

Everyone is assuming that moves we make will improve us...but is anyone considering that moves we make can also make us worse?

Everyone is getting too positive around here where they're automatically assuming improvements...that's not how it works. Improvements aren't automatic.

Ottawa has plenty of skill in Tkachuk, Stutzle, Batherson, Norris, Giroux, Pinto, Greig, Sanderson & Chabot. They need bottom six guys who can add more production while at the same time be a pain in the ass to play against & reduce goals against. They will probably add another impact skilled player at this yr's draft. If this team can't do well without Brannstrom they have bigger problems & while Chychrun had a good offensive season Chabot did not & needs to bounce back. Plus hopefully they get a top 4 RD who should also add some pts. If they were to add Shattenkirk RD & JVR LW for example two cheap vets to this lineup who had 62 pts between them last yr & is helping Boston in the playoffs right now that would be an improvement in Ott IMO.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The new Hronek deal (8 years $7.2 million aav) sets a ceiling for Chychrun's new contract whenever he gets there.

Hronek might have sucked in the playoffs, but he was able to hold it steady as Hughes partner and play as a solid top pairing guy. Chychrun hasn't shown he can do that on a winning squad. No way Chychrun gets $7 million aav on a long term deal, he doesn't outscore his softness and doesn't anchor a top pairing either.

Reactions: lancepitlick

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Here is an article on potential trade destinations for Chychrun, somehow they forgot about Calgary & Philly which might make it ten potential teams. In other words, they don't know either.

Reactions: Cosmix

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
If I were a GM I'd be hard pressed to offer him anything better than 6x6. Or trade for him on the cheap and make him prove his value in the last year of his deal (or ship him out at the deadline if he doesn't).

Deaperate teams will always throw boatloads of cash at inconsistent UFAs though, hoping they produce at the higher end of their capabilities, which rarely happens.

I think he is what he is. A guy with low IQ, decent mobility, a cannon of a shot, and low physicality despite being kind of big. And who rarely get close to playing 82 games, except one season where he had the physicality of Sylvain Turgeon.

When I type that out it reads like he's a bigger/better Joe Corvo.

Which is about a #3/4 D-man. I'm not rolling out $7.5 M for that.

Reactions: bicboi64

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
The new Hronek deal (8 years $7.2 million aav) sets a ceiling for Chychrun's new contract whenever he gets there.

Hronek might have sucked in the playoffs, but he was able to hold it steady as Hughes partner and play as a solid top pairing guy. Chychrun hasn't shown he can do that on a winning squad. No way Chychrun gets $7 million aav on a long term deal, he doesn't outscore his softness and doesn't anchor a top pairing either.

Chychrun's best case scenario is to go to a good team in a low tax state (see: Florida, Carolina or Dallas) where he can settle for a $5.75-6.25M cap hit but still take home more money than he would have on a $7M deal in Ottawa and settle in as a 2nd pairing, top-unit PP guy.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
As I very rarely get the chance to see full games, I can't really form a personal opinion on Chychrun and can only draw on the opinions expressed by others.

That said, I can't help but feel like the comparison is that hot girl you really want to ask out, then you do and she says yes, and then you're out with her and you're like - why do I still feel empty inside

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think he gets traded for picks and prospects because they’ll want the salary slot for Tanev/another FA RD.

Staois really understands value and I think he’s going to really do well on the Chychryn trade and then filling that $5-6 salary slot

And good on Chychryn for playing 82 and having a career year and scoring some goals. He’s really kept or even increased his value on a team who didn’t do well and that’s really going to help us in his trade

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

No one knows.

There are way higher hockey IQ people running this team at every level. I don't think they're going to sacrifice as much skill as you seem to think. Brannstom and Chychrun were not driving the offense by any means. I don't think that Kleven for example moves the puck any worse out of the zone than Chychrun did. He isn't the same offensive player from the blue line in but this teams problem was getting hemmed in and defending. Because players like Branntsrom and Chychrun either weren't competing enough or didn't have the tools. Branntsroms brain on chychs body would be a bona-fide number 1 all situations d man. But alas they are not one haha.

I'd actually be fine with bringing branny back but not at 2 million that's crazy for a bottom pair guy who probably wouldn't dress in a playoff situation on any team.

So let's say the new d core has added Kleven and Tanev. Branny and Chychrun are out. I'd expect them to get a cheap puck mover like branny that makes less money as a depth player in the organization. Small skill d men are easy to find.

I will say this I'm very intrigued to see how all these young d men do with a real defenseman coach. Which makes me want to bring them back and just see before they make any decisions but the left side is way too over crowded with the same types of players. While a guy like Kleven who is exactly what this team is missing is in my opinion ready for bottom pairing and pk duty.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He is also a righty there just aren't very many. There's tons of LHD that have top 4 capability other than small skill scoring wingers a top 4 LD is the easiest piece to go out and get via trade or free agency.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How many dmen since 2010 have been better than Chychrun on the Sens? Karlsson, Gonchar, Chabot and that's it.
I'd take Methot, Zub and DeMelo ahead of him, obviously Sanderson too. Hell, there's a strong argument for Phaneuf, and Kuba, both were significantly better defensively.

He put some points but was a disaster in his own end. I think he can be much better, and if he plays to his abilities he's rockets up the list but he was a liability out there.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I'd take Methot, Zub and DeMelo ahead of him, obviously Sanderson too. Hell, there's a strong argument for Phaneuf, and Kuba, both were significantly better defensively.

He put some points but was a disaster in his own end. I think he can be much better, and if he plays to his abilities he's rockets up the list but he was a liability out there.
Lance Pitlick!

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

I obviously loved the trade at the time, but Arizona did a really good job making him look really good leading up to the trade. They put him in a position to succeed with match-ups and deployment. I think he's still a really good second-pairing guy, but Chabot and Sanderson are both objectively better than him, and he doesn't seem to play very well on the right side.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
As I very rarely get the chance to see full games, I can't really form a personal opinion on Chychrun and can only draw on the opinions expressed by others.

That said, I can't help but feel like the comparison is that hot girl you really want to ask out, then you do and she says yes, and then you're out with her and you're like - why do I still feel empty inside
Sorry, I can't help you as I never experienced your comparison. I'll let you guess which part didn't apply to me...

• Haha
Reactions: maclean

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
According to the Sens insiders Steve Staois is such a nice guy he’s not even actively shopping Chychryn he’s only listening to trade offers he doesn’t actively participate in the phone calls he just passively listens while Other GMs make fantasy trade proposals.

Poulin is a nice guy, Alfie is a nice guy, Boumgartner seems like a sweet guy, Steve Staois is a quiet Calm guy

We have a coaching staff and management group of KILLERS. i love our management group. Super intelligent, Super competitive and they will take your lunch money

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad