Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The bizarre thing about making Clarke untouchable for Chychrun to me is that Clarke ending up as good as Chychrun is a pretty amazing result for Clarke overall. At Clarke's age, Chychrun was already a #3 defenseman in the NHL and had been in the NHL since he was 18. Right now, Chychrun is a 24 year old #2 defenseman who's currently on pace for about 65 points on a ghastly bad team. Clarke ever reaching that level would be an amazing result for him.

Not only that, but the Kings are also absurdly deep at RD throughout their entire organization, so they could definitely afford to not have Clarke long-term. Chychrun fills a massive short term and long term need for them, but you'd rather keep a prospect in a position of strength who has a likely best case scenario of becoming just as good as Chychrun?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Clarke is an untouchable, same as Byfield. The only way you put him in as part of a deal is with a player of the calliber like Makar. JC is no Makar.
Poor Clarke. I get that he's a highly rated prospect and rightly so. But if LA fans are already equating him to Makar, then he's gonna have a shit ton of pressure on him.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I don't know why people expect guys like Freidman to only report on facts. Speculation is a huge part of sports media, and at least Freidman is still intentional with making sure it is obvious what is rumour and what is speculation if you actually get information from him first hand.
Why the hell do they have Ant man movies and no Silver Surfer movies is unbelievable. Silver Surfer might be the most powerful Marvel out there!

Ant man? Really? Who the heck paid any attention to Ant man comics?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Yeah this could be it. I think moving Petersen's contract likely would cost a 1st, and with including both Chychrun and Vejmelka from the Coyotes side, you're looking at a massive addition to Petersen from the Kings end.

That's why Clarke as the main piece made so much sense, he has so much value on his own that the additions on top of him and Petersen would be more manageable. If Clarke and Byfield aren't on the table, the Kings are going to have to add so much to complete that deal. At least the value of a 1st to get out of Petersen's deal plus the value of 2 1sts and a prospect for Chychrun plus the value of Vejmelka.

You're probably looking at the value of 5 1sts to complete that deal from the Kings.
That’s not true, the cost of doing the deal would factor a salary moving from the Kings to satisfy salary cap requirements. Meaning, that yes, the Kings probably had Multiple players and picks involved but also included an overlooked aspect. That aspect being how the Kings and Coyotes value the prospects, Players and picks involved. The rumor was Turcotte, Spence ++++.. those guys aren’t just ok prospects. They likely also asked for Grans whom scouts have absolutely drooled over.
I don’t think the issue was Petersen per se, it might have been say Alex Iafallo who has more term and monies. Speculation I know but look at it this way, the Kings have forwards coming out of their ass and Petersen could be left in Ontario where his cap hit will decrease significantly vs today.

Reactions: kinghock

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That’s not true, the cost of doing the deal would factor a salary moving from the Kings to satisfy salary cap requirements. Meaning, that yes, the Kings probably had Multiple players and picks involved but also included an overlooked aspect. That aspect being how the Kings and Coyotes value the prospects, Players and picks involved. The rumor was Turcotte, Spence ++++.. those guys aren’t just ok prospects. They likely also asked for Grans whom scouts have absolutely drooled over.
I don’t think the issue was Petersen per se, it might have been say Alex Iafallo who has more term and monies. Speculation I know but look at it this way, the Kings have forwards coming out of their ass and Petersen could be left in Ontario where his cap hit will decrease significantly vs today.

They're certainly not prospects that allow you to do both of dumping Petersen and acquiring Chychrun and Vejmelka, that's for sure.

Why are we acting like Turcotte is anything more than a reclamation project at this point? He has been wildly injury prone in his career so far and hasn't done anything of note in the NHL. The guys drafted around him are guys like Dach, Byram, Seider and Cozens, they're all already having success in the NHL.

You're not pulling off that value of a return (meaning Chychrun and Vejmelka) for struggling former high picks or late picks who are exceeding expectations.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
This thread is the epitome of overvaluing potential versus a top-pairing, almost PPG defenseman. If the Kings believe a Chychrun puts them over the top, and they want Chychrun, Clarke has to go the other way. Need I remind a lot of you that Chychrun's only turning 25 in March.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
If he plays 70 plus games a year he will achieved more than Chychrun has in his. This is what worries me about dealing for him. His average just over 55 games a year, thats not good. You can't justify giving up top assets for something like that. Its like trading for Gaborik, you know he'll miss 20 games a year. The Kings already did this.
Like any trade for someone like Chych, not matter the prospect traded. If they win the cup GM was right and it was a good deal, even if too much was paid. If they don't, GM was wrong unless the pieces never develop.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
The bizarre thing about making Clarke untouchable for Chychrun to me is that Clarke ending up as good as Chychrun is a pretty amazing result for Clarke overall. At Clarke's age, Chychrun was already a #3 defenseman in the NHL and had been in the NHL since he was 18. Right now, Chychrun is a 24 year old #2 defenseman who's currently on pace for about 65 points on a ghastly bad team. Clarke ever reaching that level would be an amazing result for him.

Not only that, but the Kings are also absurdly deep at RD throughout their entire organization, so they could definitely afford to not have Clarke long-term. Chychrun fills a massive short term and long term need for them, but you'd rather keep a prospect in a position of strength who has a likely best case scenario of becoming just as good as Chychrun?
There is more to it than that.

Chychrun is always injured, he doesnt have the same length of team control left and he carries a bigger cap hit.

Just too much risk for LA

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm shocked, SHOCKED that modern teams that understand how the cap works are incredibly reluctant to move top prospects still on their entry level contracts. It's just so shocking

The difference is that the Kings are incredibly deep on RD, meaning they could afford to trade Clarke and still have a strong group of RD, and Chychrun is young and on a great value contract.

This isn't trading your team's best prospect in a major position of need for a rental.

There is more to it than that.

Chychrun is always injured, he doesnt have the same length of team control left and he carries a bigger cap hit.

Just too much risk for LA

"Carries a bigger cap hit"

Yeah because he's way freaking better than Clarke :laugh:

What do you expect a player of Chychrun's caliber to cost in terms of cap hit?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Kyper is an idiot, he's wrong all the time, I'm amazed he has a job, he's Eklund, but on TV
He’s on TV very little these days. I’ve seen him pop up a few times on Tim & Friends and that’s about it. He’s mainly just a radio guy these days. He co-hosts a radio show with Justin Bourne these days.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
The Kings have a plan to win. Phoenix is trying to suck for a draft pick and don’t have an NHL arena. One team has plans to win the Stanley Cup. The other is trying to fight to not get moved to another city. Don’t understand what would work for Phoenix that’s going to make them a winner? I mean they are trying to suck to survive. They are going to lose this player before they could be a winner anyway (if they had a direction). They are a perineal black hole.

The leverage the league has against Phoenix is “let him rot in the sun”.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I cannot believe people are in one breath saying Clarke's being overrated and then in the next basing it solely on the WJC. Give me a break.

The point is--LA has immense prospect depth but very few 'sure thing' blue chips. If you're going to sling one, it can't be for someone you have to shelter.

Clarke was our 2nd best dman the moment he touched NHL ice. Don't take Blake dicking him around as "clarke's not an NHLer."

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
They're certainly not prospects that allow you to do both of dumping Petersen and acquiring Chychrun and Vejmelka, that's for sure.

Why are we acting like Turcotte is anything more than a reclamation project at this point? He has been wildly injury prone in his career so far and hasn't done anything of note in the NHL. The guys drafted around him are guys like Dach, Byram, Seider and Cozens, they're all already having success in the NHL.

You're not pulling off that value of a return (meaning Chychrun and Vejmelka) for struggling former high picks or late picks who are exceeding expectations.
You’re acting as if he’s nothing more than a throw in, the truth is somewhere in between and is determined by each front office. Betting on potential is exactly what a team like Arizona would do and it’s no different than what the Kings did when they traded for Lias Andersson or when the TBL swindled the Kings and got Erik Cernak. I also noticed your lack of knowledge with your comment about late round picks exceeding expectations, well that sounds like you’re talking about one Jordan Spence.. who would instantly become their best Dman prospect and would slit nicely into their top 4 but it’s seems you’re more of the type to place more value in where someone is drafted than the actual results. I also like how people think they need to get Clarke from the Kings or Lysell from Bruins, as if Lysell is even in the same f***en sphere as Brandt… wonder if you’re one of those

Reactions: kinghock

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I am gaining more and more respect for Blake and the brass to take their time with this. If it comes down to it and they are actually getting Chycrun...then great. If not move on to other options. Yotes also have tons of cap space so that might also entice the Kings to move a contract or 2 which complicates things.

The yotes have been dangling this carrot for months though. Getting ridiculous.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The difference is that the Kings are incredibly deep on RD, meaning they could afford to trade Clarke and still have a strong group of RD, and Chychrun is young and on a great value contract.

This isn't trading your team's best prospect in a major position of need for a rental.

"Carries a bigger cap hit"

Yeah because he's way freaking better than Clarke :laugh:

What do you expect a player of Chychrun's caliber to cost in terms of cap hit?

The point is the timing.

I don't think many people think Chychrn makes LA a surefire cup favorite. Trading Clarke is accelerating that window to 'all in' because they'll have few RFA/cheap youth options beyond that. By the time LA is ready to contend, Clarke would be a roster player anyway, and JC will be searching for a beefy contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad