Value of: Jake Guentzel (with or without extension)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Think the Pens could use a shakeup, and he could be our best shot at getting a good defenseman back.

What could he fetch? 1 year left on current deal but could also be a part of a sign and trade for better value.

Ideally we are looking for a top pair LD. I’m not sure who is actually available out there but have heard names like Toews and Provorov thrown around this board and I think they would be the type of player/value the Pens would want.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Would Hanafin ++ work?
Im not a fan of either team , I just know that the Flames will be looking to add someone to unlock Hubereau and Geuntzel would / should be able to do that. And Hanafin seems like the best option to try to trade for a scoring winger . No clue on value . My guess is Flames would have to add , just not sure how much. Vladar plus ?

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Would Hanafin ++ work?
Im not a fan of either team , I just know that the Flames will be looking to add someone to unlock Hubereau and Geuntzel would / should be able to do that. And Hanafin seems like the best option to try to trade for a scoring winger . No clue on value . My guess is Flames would have to add , just not sure how much. Vladar plus ?
I haven’t kept up with Hanafin to be honest but I was a big fan of his earlier in his career. I think if Guentzel agrees to extension the flames would definitely have to add, not sure what the plus should be

Ledge And Dairy

Think the Pens could use a shakeup, and he could be our best shot at getting a good defenseman back.

What could he fetch? 1 year left on current deal but could also be a part of a sign and trade for better value.

Ideally we are looking for a top pair LD. I’m not sure who is actually available out there but have heard names like Toews and Provorov thrown around this board and I think they would be the type of player/value the Pens would want.
No he can't, the Pens have no leverage in that department because the acquiring team is just as capable of offering him max term and conditions on re-signs are against the rules now. His trade value is purely as a rental, nothing more

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Blockbuster-ish, but:

Gibson
Fowler

For

Guentzel
2023 1st
2024 2nd

Just tossing ideas
Guentzel with 1 year left doesn’t do much for the Ducks.

Guentzel extended is worth far more than either Gibson or Fowler. Even the combination of the 2 does not warrant Guentzel plus our 1st this year

I would love to acquire both but that price tag is too rich for me. Guentzel is a 70 point winger, and Gibson has struggled in recent seasons. Adding fowler would be great but not for 14OA.

Maybe if the Ducks add their 2nd rounder this year and we take out our 2nd next year

Would consider something like Guentzel, Petry and Pickering for Marner and Brodie.
I actually don’t hate this at all. Don’t love Brodie but adding Marner would be huge

Reactions: domaug

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
No he can't, the Pens have no leverage in that department because the acquiring team is just as capable of offering him max term and conditions on re-signs are against the rules now. His trade value is purely as a rental, nothing more
Um is that a recent change and can you source? What about the Fiala deal last year. Traded to LA then immediately signs long term. That would be the idea

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Yes but not at the expense of Guentzel. Say you find prime Dumoulin, you are worse off as a team if you do that deal. Far worse off.

If Jake is traded at all, it's in a Neal for Hornqvist swap where you are bringing in a top-line winger with a different skill set.

Would consider something like Guentzel, Petry and Pickering for Marner and Brodie.
That Brodie deal is rough. I'm not sure the difference in the packages is Pickering unless the Leafs are kicking in a prospect like Minten or a pick.

Ledge And Dairy

Um is that a recent change and can you source? What about the Fiala deal last year. Traded to LA then immediately signs long term. That would be the idea
Fiala was an RFA, his contract was less than 30 days from ended but the team would still hold his rights. LA signed him to the max term they could which was 7 years since he was not a member of the LA Kings before the trade deadline of the final year of his contract.

Whereas Guentzel hasn't started the final year of his contract yet to as long as he is traded before next year's TDL the acquiring team is capable of signing him to an 8 year extension until July 1st 2024.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Would Hanafin ++ work?

The ++ would be a lot.

Reactions: domaug

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
What does he re-sign for? 8x8? More?

I wouldn't be opposed to something where Guentzel goes to TOR, Marner goes to Team 3, LHD from Team 3 goes to PIT. Picks/prospects/roster players to balance things out.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Weird contribution to the thread. So basically the Pens shouldn't do a single thing since it doesn't matter.

No, never said that.

They should be doing what dawned on the Caps late last season and trade roster players for picks and/or prospects.

They've lost in the first round in the 5 years prior to missing the post-season all together, and trading Guentzal for a defenseman, isn't going to suddenly make them a Cup contender, let alone a team that is a threat to make it the 2nd round.

But I realize this probably won't happen as they want to put on facade for Crosby and Malkin's golden years so carry on.

Reactions: Conbon and Son Goku

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yes but not at the expense of Guentzel. Say you find prime Dumoulin, you are worse off as a team if you do that deal. Far worse off.

If Jake is traded at all, it's in a Neal for Hornqvist swap where you are bringing in a top-line winger with a different skill set.

That Brodie deal is rough. I'm not sure the difference in the packages is Pickering unless the Leafs are kicking in a prospect like Minten or a pick.

It's no worse than the Petry deal.

Brodie has been great since day 1

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Any Ottawa fans in here? They appear to have 3 great LDs, is Chabot available?

Guentzel with extension as a base but willing to add

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Why would the Pens trade their top goal scorer for a D? Especially when another team is likely to outbid them for their 4th leading goal scorer? Especially when their 2nd and 4th leading goal scorers are unlikely to play a full 82 games again?
Doesn't seem like a very logical move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad