Value of: Jake Guentzel as a rental

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Guentzel is a good player and he would return quite a bit. But Dallas needs a RHD to partner with Heiskanen not another winger. I also can’t see them moving Bourque for a soon to be UFA.

Ledge And Dairy

Jake has 1 more point.
No he doesn't, MacKinnon has 23 5v5 points, Guentzel has 21. Empty net points don't count as 5v5 points.

Hall had 6 goals and 25 pts in 30 games when he was moved.

Jake also has produced identical to McDavid in the playoffs in terms of goal per game since coming into the league.
Lets not pretend that riding passenger to Crosby doesn't play a major factor. Yes Jake is a very good player but he is no where near the level of dominance that Hossa brought, especially with his 2-way game.

Guentzel is a good player and he would return quite a bit. But Dallas needs a RHD to partner with Heiskanen not another winger. I also can’t see them moving Bourque for a soon to be UFA.
Not even right handed because Miro has played RD for years now. What they need is a top pairing dman. Someone who isn't turning 39 in January and being completely carried at this point

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
No he doesn't, MacKinnon has 23 5v5 points, Guentzel has 21. Empty net points don't count as 5v5 points.

Lets not pretend that riding passenger to Crosby doesn't play a major factor. Yes Jake is a very good player but he is no where near the level of dominance that Hossa brought, especially with his 2-way game.

Not even right handed because Miro has played RD for years now. What they need is a top pairing dman. Someone who isn't turning 39 in January and being completely carried at this point
That’s the first time I’ve ever heard that.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I wouldn't do Bourque straight for Guentzel/Nylander/Reinhart type player if I were Stars management/fans

Bourque will be a 60-80 pt guy for 10 years soon. He is an elite prospect.

Him, Stankoven, Wyatt Johnson will be an insane group of secondary core pieces to Hintz, Robertson, Oettinger, and Heiskanen

The stars should not make any trade for a buy now UFA.

This year try to win with the deep team you have. The team is as good if not better than the WCF 2023 stars team.

Next year add two elite young players to the roster that is very deep.

You avoid overpaying for an elite current player who has risk of steep decline due to change in system/environment/or simply injuries & natural age regression 2-3 years into his deal

KrisLeturnover

Jan 17, 2021
It seems that extension talks aren't coming together as hoped.

Via The Athletic:
1703282345818.png
1703282368296.png

Also, given the stagnant play of the Penguins and where they are in the standings, it looks like Jake could be reaching for greener pastures.

I think a 1st + solid prospect make sense. After all, he is a multiple 40g scorer. Anyone have ideas as to where he might fit? Potential speculative in-depth trade ideas are welcome. His contract carries a 6M tag for the remainder of this season and he has a modified NTC.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
It seems that extension talks aren't coming together as hoped.

Via The Athletic:
View attachment 788800 View attachment 788802

Also, given the stagnant play of the Penguins and where they are in the standings, it looks like Jake could be reaching for greener pastures.

I think a 1st + solid prospect make sense. After all, he is a multiple 40g scorer. Anyone have ideas as to where he might fit? Potential speculative in-depth trade ideas are welcome. His contract carries a 6M tag for the remainder of this season and he has a modified NTC.

Pick two of...

Daniel Sprong, Jonatan Berggren, Rob Fabbri, Andrew Copp, and a 1st

We'll give you a 4th if you take Jeff Petry back. :sarcasm:

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Vancouver should nab him, get a proper winger for Pettersson.
Heavily discussed on our boards. Pettersson needs a top line winger he can feed off of rather than having to play with Mikheyev, Lafferty, Suter and whatever else depth guy we have.

Guentzel would be ideal + the Pittsburgh connection he has with Tocc/Rutherford

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
He'll resign I think. Carter comes off the books this summer so Guentzel can take most (or all) of that. Whilst the Pens are still in the hunt for a Playoff spot, they'll not want to get rid of one of their main goal scorers.

The only way he gets traded is if they are so far off the playoffs that the season is done and he has no intention of staying, which would be surprising considering he gets to play alongside Crosby and will get paid a good amount.

I suppose there could be a scenario where they are out of the hunt and he wants to return next year, so they trade him for assets, he gets a cup run and then the assets can be used to improve next year's team.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
He'll resign I think. Carter comes off the books this summer so Guentzel can take most (or all) of that. Whilst the Pens are still in the hunt for a Playoff spot, they'll not want to get rid of one of their main goal scorers.

The only way he gets traded is if they are so far off the playoffs that the season is done and he has no intention of staying, which would be surprising considering he gets to play alongside Crosby and will get paid a good amount.
He’s also young enough to realize Pens cup contending window has closed years ago and is likely closed for the foreseeable future and if he wants to win another cup, he’s going to have to leave to get it.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
A 1st + a very good prospect feels like it'd be too much, although I wonder if something can be done for Kuzmenko+ for Guentzel.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
He’s also young enough to realize Pens cup contending window has closed years ago and is likely closed for the foreseeable future and if he wants to win another cup, he’s going to have to leave to get it.

After getting Karlsson and whilst Crosby and Malkin are still playing, I don't think that they think their window is closed. They can offer him a big contract, and if he wants to move after the next couple of years (likely the absolute final hurrah for the window), he can move on, and the team rebuilds.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

I don't think their window is closed, they just need to find a way to close out games. Karlsson has been better than advertised/playing at a Norris level again, Crosby is still playing at an elite level, Malkin has also been very good - the production appears to be down on the surface but when you really look into it their power play hasn't been clicking. They've been getting good goaltending as well, just the two issues which should be fixable with the veterans they have on their team to close out games and the talent they have at their disposal to score on the PP - I think in terms of talent they can ice a PP unit that should be top-5 in the league pretty easily.

Reactions: karltonian

KrisLeturnover

Jan 17, 2021
Heavily discussed on our boards. Pettersson needs a top line winger he can feed off of rather than having to play with Mikheyev, Lafferty, Suter and whatever else depth guy we have.

Guentzel would be ideal + the Pittsburgh connection he has with Tocc/Rutherford
Interesting point. I could very well see Rutherford going in hard to get a deal done.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Quite a few teams with young C's might be considering some major spending this Summer and I'm thinking that, as much as Jake has enjoyed it here - his 'camp' (family/friends) might be reminding him before any sentimentality.

Chicago and Vancouver stand out.

Not sure what we can even move him for now with trade protection and whatever other player involved with trade protection. But if there's not headway on anything that makes sense they shouldn't be stupid about it. Frankly of all the years this year it's not even like we would feel like we're missing much - the team so far has felt like a one man show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad