TSN: Jake Gardiner or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Advanced Stats

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Please, oh, please tell me that this post was meant to be satirical. Analytics are heavily used in businesses by people who undoubtedly in the majority have more right leaning world views. Although no doubt dogmatism plays a huge role in many right leaning people, the left is populated with many whose arguments appeal to "feelings" as much if not more. There are few analytics to support many elements of humane governing associated with left leaning policies.

Where did you hear this? Sounds fishy to me.

Fishy, how so.

I doubt that whether people are left or right leaning has anything to do with how heavily people use analytics. You say this is "undoubtedly" so that's why I'm asking for your source. If you can back this up, perhaps I'll learn something. If not ...

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The issue at looking at mistakes is:

Is it a mistake or a missed assignment?

If a player has the puck and the support person is not present and a player is striped of the puck who is at fault?

If we knew the system of rotations that the team is deploying we would know who missed an assignment. I watch for rotations and puck support options that happen in most cases and get a feel for what a team is attempting to do. Once I understand rotations and puck support, I then can trust the eye test.

Gardiner got blamed for lots of mistakes that were simply put, not on him! Yes he makes bonehead plays, but not all is as it seems. I have always liked his game.

91Kadri91*

Wow so all of this data boils down to Jake is OK at 5 on 5

He's great at even-strength.

and plays lots of 5 on 5 minutes.

Yes, highest usage on the team the past two seasons.

"He's great at shot suppression"

Right again.

but can't be trusted on the PK

He's been great on the PK when he's played, he just hasn't played on the PK very much.

and gives up a ton of goals.

He has the second best GARelTM among the 120 defensemen who have played 2500+ ES MP over the last three seasons.

So no, he doesn't "give up a ton of goals".

Well guess what. He gets those minutes as he can't be trusted to play special teams.

Or, y'know, because he's the best even-strength defenseman the Leafs have, and Rielly is the only player who's even remotely close to being remotely close.

A defenseman who can't play on the PP or PK is pretty much unheard of.

That's because defensemen who are as good as Gardiner is at even-strength, are typically also very good at special teams play.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Look where Pietrangelo is...

"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."

What does that chart show us? Only the ability to deter shots from the slot/crease which is only a small component of what makes a defenceman good.

These stats are fantastic to look at but at the same time I think they limit actual critical thinking because people will pull up one chart to support their argument and call it a day, when that chart, like I said, is a tiny component of the bigger picture.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."

What does that chart show us? Only the ability to deter shots from the slot/crease which is only a small component of what makes a defenceman good.

These stats are fantastic to look at but at the same time I think they limit actual critical thinking because people will pull up one chart to support their argument and call it a day, when that chart, like I said, is a tiny component of the bigger picture.

By definition Stats are the critical thinking part of a players evaluation.

(Statistics)
the classification and interpretation of such data in accordance with probability theory and the application of methods such as hypothesis testing to them.

With all the data that is collected in today's game the Stats are a very real picture of a players value...

The only other evaluation that is missing is the play within the team structure. No one on here can do that as it is not published as to zone systems and rotations....so we can only debate stats!

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
By definition Stats are the critical thinking part of a players evaluation.

(Statistics)
the classification and interpretation of such data in accordance with probability theory and the application of methods such as hypothesis testing to them.

With all the data that is collected in today's game the Stats are a very real picture of a players value...

The only other evaluation that is missing is the play within the team structure. No one on here can do that as it is not published as to zone systems and rotations....so we can only debate stats!

Ok, next time someone posts +/- statistic you can laud them for their critical thinking.

There is a lot of data, but you have to put a bunch of it together to get a real picture. Not just the one chart that's in the link provided in the OP to argue that Jake Gardiner is a terrific defenceman.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
It's a wonder we need coaches anymore - let's just get a bunch of fancy supercomputers, and have them assess the situations and deploy the "right" players accordingly. That's what some of this sounds like.

I am curious as to why if Gardiner is "great" at shot suppression, then why is he not on the PK? Would you not want to suppress shots while killing a penalty? When you look at last year's season stats - he played the second most minutes, had almost 200 min of PP time - yet only put up 24 total points....yet he only played 18:05 on the PK (0:13/gm). To me, this tells me he is not good defensively. I don't see much an argument proving otherwise. And look at the same numbers for guys that were mentioned earlier (Weber, Suter, even Schenn). These numbers also tell me that these 3 guys are better defenders than Gardiner. Any disputes? Unless of course, the coaches are wrong.... Plus, to an extent, +/- does matter - it's even strength goal differential, so he must spend quite a large amount of time getting scored on in his own end to be -23.

But I would love to see (and I quickly tried to find, but with no luck) numbers that show shots against/60 min (or something close) to see how great a shot suppressor Gardiner is.

One last point - the "eye test" is a factor in player evaluation. You can really pin point a lot of "if"s and "when" situational evaluation on players this way. Stats may show player X is a great offensive d-man (when the puck is not in his end), where as defensively he is easy to beat on the outside (as a general example), or will back off if the puck is dumped in his corner (another general example). If the "eye test" wasn't important, than you really probably don't need scouts at all levels right? I am pretty sure there are a lot of leagues being scouted that don't keep advanced stats.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
i get tired of people stat mining to back up there views

a couple of years ago it was all about defensive zone starts and QOC to defend DP and corsi and every other stat was ignored , now with Gards it's all about corsi with zones starts and any other stat that doesn't show him in a favorable light ignored

using stats this way renders them useless , there value if any is to help evaluate a player , using them as a tool to defend an already decided position is a waste of time and resources

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's a wonder we need coaches anymore - let's just get a bunch of fancy supercomputers, and have them assess the situations and deploy the "right" players accordingly. That's what some of this sounds like.

I am curious as to why if Gardiner is "great" at shot suppression, then why is he not on the PK? Would you not want to suppress shots while killing a penalty? When you look at last year's season stats - he played the second most minutes, had almost 200 min of PP time - yet only put up 24 total points....yet he only played 18:05 on the PK (0:13/gm). To me, this tells me he is not good defensively. I don't see much an argument proving otherwise. And look at the same numbers for guys that were mentioned earlier (Weber, Suter, even Schenn). These numbers also tell me that these 3 guys are better defenders than Gardiner. Any disputes? Unless of course, the coaches are wrong.... Plus, to an extent, +/- does matter - it's even strength goal differential, so he must spend quite a large amount of time getting scored on in his own end to be -23.

But I would love to see (and I quickly tried to find, but with no luck) numbers that show shots against/60 min (or something close) to see how great a shot suppressor Gardiner is.

One last point - the "eye test" is a factor in player evaluation. You can really pin point a lot of "if"s and "when" situational evaluation on players this way. Stats may show player X is a great offensive d-man (when the puck is not in his end), where as defensively he is easy to beat on the outside (as a general example), or will back off if the puck is dumped in his corner (another general example). If the "eye test" wasn't important, than you really probably don't need scouts at all levels right? I am pretty sure there are a lot of leagues being scouted that don't keep advanced stats.

I believe the reason Gardiner is so good at shot supression is that when he's on the ice, we spend less time in our own zone. That's hard to do while killing penalties.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Just because something is a good tool doesn't mean you don't need other tools in the toolbox.

Playing defense is a lot different 5-on-5 versus PK. For one, even strength the best thing you can do is stay away from actually having to play defensively. Not really an option on the PK?

And +/- include goals scored by a shorthanded team, and goals scored against a powerplaying team. Not exactly good for looking at goal differential even strength.

You are right with the last part. Eye test is a factor, and it's important in determining the why's and how's. The stats we use just tell us how good on average a player is at something, in a general sense.

a couple of years ago it was all about defensive zone starts and QOC to defend DP and corsi and every other stat was ignored , now with Gards it's all about corsi with zones starts and any other stat that doesn't show him in a favorable light ignored

using stats this way renders them useless , there value if any is to help evaluate a player , using them as a tool to defend an already decided position is a waste of time and resources

People used stats wrong more earlier.

As for Gards, every major stat used to evaluate player's impact even strength has him performing well. If a stat has been ignored, it's probably because it's very flawed and shouldn't be used on any player.

Pretty much anything we do here is a waste of time, as people are notoriously bad at listening or changing opinions. You actually get surprised when you see it happen, sadly.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

It is tiresome isn't it. Much more entertaining to see views like "he has no brain" backed up with nothing. :sarcasm:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Ok, next time someone posts +/- statistic you can laud them for their critical thinking.

There is a lot of data, but you have to put a bunch of it together to get a real picture. Not just the one chart that's in the link provided in the OP to argue that Jake Gardiner is a terrific defenceman.

You using plus minus to make your point is a joke, but you know that.

I never said one stat I said " With all the data that is collected in today's game the Stats are a very real picture of a players value..." It is the critical thinking part!

In this thread alone this is lots of data that has been collected that shows Gardiner is a good D man and not nearly the bumbling idiot that many like to make him out to be.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

You have to use all stats collected if you are going to look at a players value......QOC is a joke of a stat by its self. Dion had a high QOC but did poorly while facing that competition rendering that stat useless on its own.

Gardiner when you look at all the data collected is a lot better than many give him credit for.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
People used stats wrong more earlier.

As for Gards, every major stat used to evaluate player's impact even strength has him performing well. If a stat has been ignored, it's probably because it's very flawed and shouldn't be used on any player.

Pretty much anything we do here is a waste of time, as people are notoriously bad at listening or changing opinions. You actually get surprised when you see it happen, sadly.

zones starts isn't a "major stat"? and how does ignoring it when it has a large impact on corsi help in evaluating a player?

It is tiresome isn't it. Much more entertaining to see views like "he has no brain" backed up with nothing. :sarcasm:

calling someone brain dead or anything else seems to be acceptable depending on the situation, slagging PK/DP's line mates to defend them has become the norm for there supporters

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I doubt that whether people are left or right leaning has anything to do with how heavily people use analytics.

Is this doubt based on your "feelings"? Is adoption of analytics a completely random event independent of any demographics? That doesn't seem like a very analytical conclusion.

You say this is "undoubtedly" so that's why I'm asking for your source.

Nice misrepresentation of what I said. I said "undoubtedly" about the political leanings of the upper management of large businesses not the entire population's adoption of analytics. You're not arguing fair "cherry picking" single words completely out of context. Oh the irony.

If you can back this up, perhaps I'll learn something. If not ...

Look at the political donation trends of Canadian businesses to back my assertion that most businesses support either Canada's right wing party or Canada's right of center party. Canada's left wing party receives little donations from business.

Last edited:

91Kadri91*

1. No they do not come right out and say QOC must be considered, but talk about quality of player in question and where each type of player will likely start a faceoff. Since the other team is playing against this player and poor players spend more time in their end(poor possession) give up more shots against and vice versa for good players, (which should be no surprise) and he feels this needs to be accounted for and adjust for this.

Yes, for second face-offs. But even after the adjustment, the author ultimately concludes that zone-starts aren't nearly as meaningful as believed.

It doesn't take a big leap to the tougher the competition you play, the more likely you will play in your end and give up more shots. The weaker the competition, the more time you spend with the puck in their end.

If all teams ever did was play their best players against the best competition, and their weak players against the worst competition, then yes, this would be a valid argument, and would disprove the notion that QoC is negligible in a large sample set.

They don't, though, and the articles I linked on the last page use shot metrics (the same thing you claim disproves it) to prove it. If that doesn't doesn't convince you, you can always look at the difference between Phaneuf's and Gardiner's competition (a point you conveniently ignored).

He is talking about quality of players making a difference. I know you will say small sample yes, but over a year it has little significance. Coaches deploy different styles of play, strategies etc which also affect these outcomes.

Of course quality of competition make a difference in the short-term, and of course sample size makes a difference. The fact of the matter is that, over the course of a year, QoC minimally impacts a players performance.

Nevermind when a team has a decent lead they are more likely to roll 4 lines more evenly to keep players fresh and are not as worried about line matches at this point, which will skew the results as well.

Yet, when we implore one to look at the aggregate numbers (every situation taken into consideration), quality of competition is not an important factor in analysis. Situational performance may be influenced by QoC, but the ultimate result is not.

2. My argument falls apart?...even the author says he is not sure how accurate his formula really is.

And...?

Your argument relies on the author's credibility, and for said author to be making an argument he's not making.

3.What does what you do and what they did in the second article have to do with what I was saying? Gardiner's usage is also very low, and why you bring him up I don't know, because I didn't.

The point wasn't solely directed at you. I was merely saying that if a player must be good at clearing the zone and the net when playing protecting a lead (I don't agree with that assessment just stating what you wrote), then Gardiner is either very good at those things, or they're not that important.

Also, Gardiner's usage is not 'very low'. It's very close to average, and over the past two seasons he's lead the Leafs in 'defending a lead' (5on5, Leading).

I brought up Gardiner because this is a Gardiner thread, and the original dialogue began with disputes about the effectiveness of Gardiner.

4. Yes Weber is put out to score as well. What does that have to do with me saying he is used more well defending and in tougher defending situations? I have no idea why you deflect to that.

I didn't deflect it. You claim that Weber's shot metrics suffer because he is defending the lead so much, but he spends more time trying to obtain it, so your argument is completely illogical.

5. And Schenn only spent 918 leading and Krug 849...200-300 less minutes than Weber, which was the point, not even accounting for game situations I was referring to. So what is it I need to try again on?

You claimed that Weber is 'out there more to defend'; he's not. He spends more time chasing the lead than defending it.

If you were attempting to claim that Weber spends more time than Schenn and Krug defending, then your argument was (a) poorly worded and (b) frivolous, since the graph made us all well aware of that fact. Also, and I'll ask you this for a second time, you do know that usage and traditional QoC are not the same thing, right?

6. We are talking small sample here though for QOC... I was referring to only while holding a lead and I also said situational like last minute of periods and games. So going back to over the course of a season is just another deflection away from situational play to try and prove QOC has little effect on results.

IT DOES HAVE LITTLE EFFECT ON RESULTS!

You're using situational data to try and disprove the notion that QoC is negligible over the course of a season, but when you use the entire data set for a season, QoC is negligible. Even in defined score situations, where the gap between a player 'who plays tough competition' and a player 'who doesn't' is larger, the difference between a player who plays extremely difficult competition and the player who doesn't isn't that large, and considering the entire data set inherently takes these situations into consideration, you're argument is meaningless in the grand scheme.

7. Why even bring up Karlsson? He has nothing to do with Weber/Suter to Schenn/Krug.

Because he helps refute the notion that one must batter and bludgeon to be effective defensively.

8. What a shocker huh. Try and tell the Flyers, who would love to move Schenn he is being missed used and deserves more minutes, especially to hold a lead against top QOC. I wonder why they haven't listened to their own stats guys on this?

I'm not saying Schenn is good, or that he would succeed by playing more minutes in those situations, I'm simply saying that he deserves the opportunity, because he has played well in the limited minutes he's been given (in those situations). I have no idea how well he'll perform with increased responsibility, nor do I care to guess.

I also have no idea how well Gardiner will perform in the future, just that he's performed well in the past.

9.Significantly more time with game tied huh. Weber 1311, Schenn 893, Krug 780. I will let you compare to leading and trailing minutes. Can you show me how tied is significantly more please.

The average team spent roughly 3828 minutes tied at even-strength over the last three seasons. In that same span of time, Pittsburgh, which led the league in 5on5, Leading TOI, spent 3905 minutes leading, and Boston (2nd in that category), spent 3863 minutes leading; those are the only two teams above the average for 5on5, Tied. Florida, Buffalo, Edmonton and Carolina are the only teams for 5on5, Trailing that are above the aforementioned average.

10. Can't prove a point where one doesn't exist? You mean like you saying they spend significantly more time playing tied?

No, more like claiming that QoC in a large data sample is meaningful.

11. Projection...is when someone says certain players deserve more time

Projecting would be claiming, statistically, how well that player will do in that situation. If I said that Schenn and Krug would perform better than Suter or Weber given identical minutes/situations, then I would be projecting.

Schenn and Krug have performed well in their limited time, and deserve the opportunity to play more; that's all I'm saying. I have no idea how well they will perform.

in certain situations or are projected as certain quality because stats suggest they should or are. Should they play those minutes and excel, then fine, stats have proven to be right. But some use what they say stat will project as fact, like the second article or some on here.

No one is projecting anything in here. The statistics being presented are what has happened, not what may or may not eventually happen.

12. Statisticians are wrong on the outcomes often. Running every day was supposed to be good for you, now you will die earlier than the guy who doesn't exercise. Too much salt was bad, now we should eat more than before thought. All conclusions made by statistical research. The point is that even in hockey. all statisticians do not agree on best way to evaluate all stats. Like the first article where he says traditional way is not accurate, but also says not sure if his way is truly accurate. Stats can contradict often, so hard to use them as solid fact without discrepancy.

I already acknowledged that singular facts aren't necessarily an indication of a player's capabilities. That's why no one in this thread who has argued for Gardiner is using a single statistic in their analysis.

13 I was not talking about what they show as much as what peope will project from them. Like saying this guy would do just as well if given the opportunity, we cannot possibly know this. I am not sure why that point of view is so hard to understand.

It's not hard to understand, but it is a straw man.

14. My point was that stats contradict which you agree, You say you use many to determine a players value, but it is you who decides which ones to use which is my point that people use what they decide is pertinent to prove a point. I am sure you discard the ones you do not feel has as much value and draw your conclusions from what you feel is the right usage. For example, you believe the article you showed as the best way to analyze FO starts...someone else may disagree causing the two of you to have different opinions.

No, I use every available statistic. Sometimes I won't present them all in one post, but eventually I will. I've presented every metric I'm aware of at some point.

I also don't necessarily believe that is the best article on zone-starts, but it's hard to argue with the presence of 'on-the-fly' changes, since anyone who has played/watched hockey accepts their existence.

15. Because we choose which statistical data to use, is why I said it is subjective and so is an eye test which makes them similar in that way.

In that way, yes; I acknowledged that point. They're not similar in many other ways, however.

You try so hard to disprove anyone who says stats aren't the be all end all

I don't even think they're the be-all-end-all, and I certainly don't believe they're perfect. I do believe, however, they are currently the best option for plebeians like you and me.

because they cannot possibly account for everything in a team game that is coached differently by each team, played with different quality of players and moves extremely fast.

As I said, publicly available statistics don't do a great job (currently) of measuring the minutiae of the game. What they're very good at doing, however, is measuring the end result.

I don't know exactly how Gardiner goes about preventing shots, scoring chances and goals (I could guess based on what I've seen, but I imagine I would be incorrect), but I know that he does prevent these things.

I am not discounting stats, but they are hardly conclusive when every minute someone is coming out with a new way to evaluate the same thing.

They're building on past models, not discounting them (which is a good thing). There's also plenty of new data being made available.

Passing metrics were released this summer, and SportLogIQ is starting to gain traction: it's not all a regurgitation of past study.

You spend a lot of time on them and that is your right to believe all you read.

I don't believe all I read; I believe a very small fraction of what I read.

I just happen to read a lot.

It is mine to take it with a grain of salt and draw my own conclusions.

Sure it is, but that doesn't mean your conclusion will be right.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Please, oh, please tell me that this post was meant to be satirical. Analytics are heavily used in businesses by people who undoubtedly in the majority have more right leaning world views. Although no doubt dogmatism plays a huge role in many right leaning people, the left is populated with many whose arguments appeal to "feelings" as much if not more. There are few analytics to support many elements of humane governing associated with left leaning policies.

Is this doubt based on your "feelings"? Is adoption of analytics a completely random event independent of any demographics? That doesn't seem like a very analytical conclusion.

Nice misrepresentation of what I said. I said "undoubtedly" about the political leanings of the upper management of large businesses not the entire population's adoption of analytics. You're not arguing fair "cherry picking" single words completely out of context. Oh the irony.

Look at the political donation trends of Canadian businesses to back my assertion that most businesses support either Canada's right wing party or Canada's right of center party. Canada's left wing party receives little donations from business.

Meh, sounds like you're saying that businesses use analytics, businesses donate more money to parties right of the centre ... OK fine, so what?

Read what I bolded again, perhaps you can see why it wasn't 100% clear. Not everyone "in business" has right-leaning views. It sounded like you might be saying that right leaning people in business are more likely to use analytics than left leaning people in business (which I doubt).

What I think is that whether or not people like to use analytics (whether in business or just hockey fans trying to figure out how good/bad Gardiner is) has little or nothing to do with their political views.

Yes that's just my feeling/guess - I never said it was an analytical conclusion. That's why I asked you to provide a source, if it was true for example that people who leaned right (or left) were more likely to make use of analytics, that's something I would find interesting. That businesses are more likely to donate to right leaning political parties is old news (and thus uninteresting, at least to me).

91Kadri91*

Zone-starts and QoC don't render anyone useful or useless. Even if we assume that they're very important, Gardiner's past performance is not suddenly egregious. Gardiner, given his deployment, was very effective at driving possession, maintaining possession, and preventing goals/scoring chances. He also led the Leafs in even-strength ice-time in each of the last two seasons.

Phaneuf, on the other hand, did not perform well given his deployment. Those claiming he was a number-one because he was facing very difficult competition (let's assume it made a significant difference) weren't actually considering how he played; instead they considered when he played.

The argument for zone-starts and QoC has nothing to do with how well a player has played; it has to do with with how much of that play can be attributed to their favourable/unfavourable deployment. The argument that Phaneuf was/is a number-one defenseman was/is nonsensical, but the argument that Phaneuf would/could perform significantly better in a lesser role could be valid depending on how much you believe Phaneuf's performance can be attributed to his unfavourable deployment.

Last edited by a moderator:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Yes that's just my feeling/guess - I never said it was an analytical conclusion. That's why I asked you to provide a source, if it was true for example that people who leaned right (or left) were more likely to make use of analytics, that's something I would find interesting. That businesses are more likely to donate to right leaning political parties is old news (and thus uninteresting, at least to me).

So you're asking me to substantiate something I never said. You don't play fair. Ignore.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
You using plus minus to make your point is a joke, but you know that.

I never said one stat I said " With all the data that is collected in today's game the Stats are a very real picture of a players value..." It is the critical thinking part!

In this thread alone this is lots of data that has been collected that shows Gardiner is a good D man and not nearly the bumbling idiot that many like to make him out to be.

My mistake. I didn't go through the whole thread to see what other stats were posted but I stand by my statement that the lone chart in the OP's link does not provide any real evidence that Gardiner is a good defencemen. Shot surpression is one thing, but the giveaways relative to takeaways are poor (nearly 2/1 ratio since 2011) and he's a weak player along the boards, which shot suppression will not factor.

On the other hand, Gardiner is fantastic with the puck on his stick. He's excellent at entering the zone and puck possession (using qualitative evidence here but I'm confident the quantitative evidence will support that hypothesis without looking at the data).

All-in-all, I don't think Gardiner is a poor defensively but I don't think he's great either. Keep in mind that being poor defensively doesn't necessarily make a bad defenceman as long as the possession numbers are good; if the possession numbers are good the defenceman isn't playing defence as often as his peers.

91Kadri91*

zones starts isn't a "major stat"? and how does ignoring it when it has a large impact on corsi help in evaluating a player?

It doesn't have a large impact, though.

Short-sample-size? Sure, zone-starts matter quite a bit:

Code:
Zone Start	               CF%
Def. Zone	              37.7%
Neu. Zone	              47.7%
Off. Zone	              59.8%
On-The-Fly	              50.9%

But the difference between Corsi and ZN-Adj. Corsi over a large sample (an entire season for example), for the vast majority of players, is negligible:

20150119_zone_start_adjusted_cf.png

Swayze*

My mistake. I didn't go through the whole thread to see what other stats were posted but I stand by my statement that the lone chart in the OP's link does not provide any real evidence that Gardiner is a good defencemen. Shot surpression is one thing, but the giveaways relative to takeaways are poor (nearly 2/1 ratio since 2011) and he's a weak player along the boards, which shot suppression will not factor.

On the other hand, Gardiner is fantastic with the puck on his stick. He's excellent at entering the zone and puck possession (using qualitative evidence here but I'm confident the quantitative evidence will support that hypothesis without looking at the data).

All-in-all, I don't think Gardiner is a poor defensively but I don't think he's great either. Keep in mind that being poor defensively doesn't necessarily make a bad defenceman as long as the possession numbers are good; if the possession numbers are good the defenceman isn't playing defence as often as his peers.

Jake can have the puck all he wants. Fact is he gets scored on way more then he scores when he's on the ice. When he makes a mistake, he makes them big.

No stat can dispute this simple statement. After all, the purpose of hockey is to outscore your opponent.

Anyhow, enough about this crappy player. If he doesn't show improvement this year he's gone.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
So you're asking me to substantiate something I never said. You don't play fair. Ignore.
If that wasn't what you said, then it'd probably help to rephrase because to me it sounded like that's exactly the implication that you were making...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad