Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
To good to deal - they need to get him on PP instead of JVR

Kills penalties

Donny needs to figure this out draft picks are on average 3-5 yrs away after top 25

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
To good to deal - they need to get him on PP instead of JVR

Kills penalties

Donny needs to figure this out draft picks are on average 3-5 yrs away after top 25
Yea Dan ,I think you are correct here. I was on the can't have another Loui Eriksson saga here but this is a different situation.They may as well treat it as a rental situation because nothing they have will fill the hole and it would be a kick in nads to boys to just give him away.Maybe they can find common ground later .

Reactions: DKH

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
And he is 27 in a free agent class full of guys turning 30. Which is who the Bruins would end up replacing him with. Pick your poison.

Those are far from the only options.

1) bring in a center and move Zacha to wing

2) call up lysell

3) trade Ullmark for a winger or pieces to bring in a center/ winger

4) bring in some 30+ year old on a one year deal as a stop gap until they find a replacement

There are plenty of options.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Those are far from the only options.

1) bring in a center and move Zacha to wing

2) call up lysell

3) trade Ullmark for a winger or pieces to bring in a center/ winger

4) bring in some 30+ year old on a one year deal as a stop gap until they find a replacement

There are plenty of options.

I'm an "at the right price" guy with DeBrusk. Thing is they already need to add to the top six and letter DeBrusk go means they now need 2 pieces for the top six. Its not X or Y its X AND Y if you let DeBrusk go.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
He should stay on PP1 instead of JVR. He looked like he did last year. He's gelling where he's at. Keep him there. Hes looking good again with Coyle and Marchy.

If he's still here after tomorrow, keep him on that line.

it's almost like....lose assets for a wash move, or lose debrusk for nothing but get production out of him in the playoffs. Sometime's its the moves you dont make.

I personally hope Debrusk recognizes what he has and just signs for a reasonable amount. We're paying Coyle 5.25 iirc, Im more than fine with paying Debrusk something similar to slightly higher. See if he takes 5.5 x 4 years. If not, good luck kid I wish you well.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I'm an "at the right price" guy with DeBrusk. Thing is they already need to add to the top six and letter DeBrusk go means they now need 2 pieces for the top six. Its not X or Y its X AND Y if you let DeBrusk go.

I’m with you on the price unfortunately I just don’t think he’s worth more than $5m AAV. He’s been borderline a 3rd line player away from elite centers. So if you they spend big on Debrusk, they need to spend big on an elite center somehow and not sure where they are finding that.

Honestly can find someone to do what he’s done this year for less than $4m AAV. I’d give him extra due to playoff production and hopes that he can find a medium between years like this and his time with bergeron/krejci.

However it’s not hard to find a .5ppg (actually less right now) who gets a mix of 1st and 2nd line duty while playing on the PP. He should be putting up 50 points at minimum with the deployments he gets.

He’s honestly lucky to not have been demoted to 3rd line duties and removed from the PP in favor of Frederic at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I’m with you on the price unfortunately I just don’t think he’s worth more than $5m AAV. He’s been borderline a 3rd line player away from elite centers. So if you they spend big on Debrusk, they need to spend big on an elite center somehow and not sure where they are finding that.

Honestly can find someone to do what he’s done this year for less than $4m AAV. I’d give him extra due to playoff production and hopes that he can find a medium between years like this and his time with bergeron/krejci.

However it’s not hard to find a .5ppg (actually less right now) who gets a mix of 1st and 2nd line duty while playing on the PP. He should be putting up 50 points at minimum with the deployments he gets.

He’s honestly lucky to not have been demoted to 3rd line duties and removed from the PP in favor of Frederic at this point.

I think where we differ is the definition of "elite center". Especially since we are talking about on the offensive side of things. Was 2018-19 David Krejci "elite" offensively, or just a good top six center. Was Bergeron elite offensively at 37? His 5 on 5 offensive production was inline with Hayes and Copp. He does need a real top six center, but I wouldn't throw the word elite around. I'm more of an under 5.75m kind of guy, but that's kinda splitting hairs. I certainly wouldn't sign the deal until the TDL was over unless it was a total steal.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
If he’s asking anything more than $5m I’d let him test free agency and he can have fun weighing the $6m from Calgary and Columbus vs the $5m from Boston.
I fully expect him to take the money, wherever it comes from. Don't begrudge him one bit for it either. He's not the type of guy I'd want to overpay for.

Reactions: GordonHowe

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Just watched Sweeney presser on NESN

“Continue to talk….clearly value Jake because he’s a good part of our hockey club, game last night a great indication of how much he can impact a game in a positive way. We like him as a player….”

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

“Continue to talk….clearly value Jake because he’s a good part of our hockey club, game last night a great indication of how much he can impact a game in a positive way. We like him as a player….”

I think they work it out and only the folks who complain about everything (plus Alicat because its DeBrusk) will dislike the deal.

Reactions: DKH

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Always take what Sweeney says about stuff like that in a presser with a grain of salt. He isn't necessarily lying, but perhaps telling a partial truth. For instance:1) continues to talk = we have an offer that he doesnt like but we're leaving it out there, 2) clearly value Jake/good part = at the price and term we've set, 3)game last night= we know he can be this guy, but just isn't that guy often enough, 4) we like him as a player= again, at the price and term we've set .

The guys says a lot and nothing at the same time. And I am not a Sweeney hater by any stretch,

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Always take what Sweeney says about stuff like that in a presser with a grain of salt. He isn't necessarily lying, but perhaps telling a partial truth. For instance: continues to talk = we have an offer that he doesnt like but we're leaving it out there, clearly value Jake/good part = at the price and term we've set, game last= we know he can be this guy, but just isn't that guy often enough, we like him as a player= at the price and term we've set .

The guys says a lot and nothing at the same time. And I am not a Sweeney hater by any stretch,
I really hope all the bolded is true.

Reactions: Gifu

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I really hope all the bolded is true.

I don't know, obviously, but Sweeney is a corporatespeak master and runs a notoriously tight-lipped front office. I would not expect him to give away anything about a clearly difficult contract negotiation in a press conference. So, he says what he can but reading between the lines, he says really nothing substantial.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Always take what Sweeney says about stuff like that in a presser with a grain of salt. He isn't necessarily lying, but perhaps telling a partial truth. For instance:1) continues to talk = we have an offer that he doesnt like but we're leaving it out there, 2) clearly value Jake/good part = at the price and term we've set, 3)game last night= we know he can be this guy, but just isn't that guy often enough, 4) we like him as a player= again, at the price and term we've set .

Oh he is slippery as f*** with what he says for sure.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

And I approve of him doing all of that. Don’t need to negotiate through the media.

• Love
Reactions: DKH and TD Charlie

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Let me make it easy for folks:

Translation: We like him as a player, but we have a limit to how much we will pay. He's earned the right to test the market, and if he gets a better offer than what we are willing to give him, we wish him well....

JDB is the Kirk Cousins of the NHL.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know, obviously, but Sweeney is a corporatespeak master and runs a notoriously tight-lipped front office. I would not expect him to give away anything about a clearly difficult contract negotiation in a press conference. So, he says what he can but reading between the lines, he says really nothing substantial.
Go by his actions

didn’t try to deal him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad