Value of: Jake Allen to EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Why would the Oilers do this? They need a 1A starter. Jake Allen isn't that.

Still better than anything you have lol

But if you're looking for a 1A goaltender, we have the only one who is available too, if you're interested 8)

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Edmonton Oilers fans. Think twice if you want Allen be your #1 goaltender.

Soft kitten will meltdown under pressure. In Blues we saw it.

Good luck.

These goals go in on a nightly basis against our current goaltending, not even exaggerating. Not saying I want Allen, but I find that funny.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
and he WAS mediocre the last 4 yrs in the reg season.. you know, that thing you need to be good at to even get to the playoffs

Still went farther than McDavid in the playofds and nobody will argue that Price wasn't BY FAR the most important player on the team
He's your best shot anyway, since nobody else will trade their 1A goalie.
So it's Price, who was still going to be the starter for Team Canada yet again or Koskinen

You can shit on Price all you want, but neither Koskinen or Smith deserves to be named in the same sentance as Carey Price lol

Reactions: jellybeans

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Why not Vejmelka from the Yotes? He's looked good on a bad team.

I honestly know nothing about Vejmelka.

Edit: Watched the highlights last night between the Yotes and the Jets. Holy crap man Vejmelka stood on his head. 48 hots against. Lost 3-1 on an empty netter.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
seems like the worst part of it for the oilers is their increasing desperation. fleury at 50% plus taking on koskinen will be more costly than a first
A 1st round pick for Fleury with salary retention is the desperation price. Without Edmonton's dire need for a goalie and the money situation, there is no way a team offers a 1st for MAF. We saw what his regular price is over the summer - a prospect that neither team wanted. Koskinen's deal is up at the end of the year, so his "negative" value isn't a factor here, its just part of the cost it would take to get that 1st for Fleury. From the only team likely to trade a 1st for a goalie this year.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'm the one Oiler fan who believes in Allen, I've long believed he had the ability to be a good goalie, but not the consistency or drive, but in recent years I sense a growing level of maturation to his game. Even still though I would only trust him to be a 1A at the moment and rightfully most Oiler fans want a sure fix, growing tired of the absence of a quality starter.

Reactions: Benstheman

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
So how many firsts and prospects are the Oilers adding to make that deal? No way Hawks will retain, take salary, and lose the best player without significant add from Oilers.

I posted this in another thread. Why would Fleury cost so much more when Lehner was traded by the Blackhawks in a similar situation for so much less? Lehner trade:

To Vegas: Lehner (@ $1.4 mill) and rights to Martins Dzierkals
To Toronto: 2020 5th round pick (retained 1.1 mill of Lehner's contract)
To Chicago: Malcolm Subban, rights to Stanislav Demin (4th round pick in 2018) and a 2020 2nd round pick, Chicago also retained 50% on Lehner.

Last edited:
Reactions: TFHockey

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Don't see the Habs trading him given they still don't know if/when Price will be back this season and that means they would have to play Montanbeault and rush Primeau into the NHL.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Still went farther than McDavid in the playofds and nobody will argue that Price wasn't BY FAR the most important player on the team
He's your best shot anyway, since nobody else will trade their 1A goalie.
So it's Price, who was still going to be the starter for Team Canada yet again or Koskinen

You can shit on Price all you want, but neither Koskinen or Smith deserves to be named in the same sentance as Carey Price lol
personally I like Price, but not after another surgery, substance issues, has played no games this year and is owed 10m for another 4 yrs and has pedestrian reg season numbers for 4 straight years. that's not a fluke, that's a trend

if I'm EDM I'd see what it'd take to get Varlamov/Isles

but again, EDM ain't a 1A goalie away from a cup run. they've got bigger issues on that roster

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
personally I like Price, but not after another surgery, substance issues, has played no games this year and is owed 10m for another 4 yrs and has pedestrian reg season numbers for 4 straight years. that's not a fluke, that's a trend

if I'm EDM I'd see what it'd take to get Varlamov/Isles

but again, EDM ain't a 1A goalie away from a cup run. they've got bigger issues on that roster

For the contract, it cab be worked around.
Hurt Price is still an entire tier above Varlamov. And you don't take Price ONLY for his reg season numbers, you trade for Price because Price can put your team on his shoulders and win games by himself, taking pressure of McDrai.

And if you need other things, we have it all. You need d-men? We have Petry, Chiarot and Edmunson who could help a lot. The only thing we can't trade is center depth, because Bergevin lost it all during the offseason

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
So how many firsts and prospects are the Oilers adding to make that deal? No way Hawks will retain, take salary, and lose the best player without significant add from Oilers.

The Blackhawks just acquired MAF for a middling prospect 5 months ago. Retaining even 50% of his salary is not going to be enough to raise MAF's price to multiple firsts and prospects as you suggest.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
It does sound exactly like what Oilers would do though, getting a mediocre goalie seems to be a trend there

I think Holland has correctly identified that solution will not work any longer. You may be unaware of this but he really tried to land multiple goalies last off season and just couldn't close the deal.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think Holland has correctly identified that solution will not work any longer. You may be unaware of this but he really tried to land multiple goalies last off season and just couldn't close the deal.
Everyone keeps saying Holland is desperate, but he has shown that he is willing to play the long game in his wait for a goalie. I'm just hoping Smith can play well for awhile and take the stress away from watching Koskinen.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010

You don't really know Holland and his history, and team building methology towards mediocre goalies?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad