Jacques Demers: What's your opinion on his illiteracy?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Demers was a pretty good coach in the NHL. Won back to back Jack Adams trophies and won a Cup with the Habs in '93. My question is knowing his story about not knowing how to read does that make you respect him more knowing what he had to go through and what he accomplished without being able to read?

His story is that he was in an abusive home and growing up he never got any sleep at night and slept during class. This forced him not to be able to read properly. From then on I can only assume he winged it. He did this while being in the NHL, having his assistants help him

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
He stressed in interviews when the book was released that he certainly didn't want anybody thinking "he was a success not knowing how to read, so I don't need to learn either". It was a struggle and very difficult.

He said he would get secretaries or assistants to read him anything he needed to see by telling them that he forgot his glasses, or his English wasn't good and he couldn't understand it, or if it was a lengthy document he would say he didn't have time so he'd ask if they read it then summarize it for him.

It was a gutsy move for him to come out about it. He could've kept this as his private secret, but decided to try and help others who may have the same problem.

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
hyper attentive to what he sees and hears to compensate (just like a blind man has hightened other senses): i think it could have helped him be a more attentive coach

just like being a good football player has nothing to do with whether one can read or write

so is knowing the game of hockey NOTHING about reading... you can learn 99.9% of the game without being able to read a sentence

i'm sure he could 'sight read' names and stat categories as holistic wholes

i admire his candour on the topic in retrospect

i don't at all think negatively of his past illiteracy

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I really respect him coming out and talking about it as well, I saw one of his talks on it and spoke to him briefly afterward and I think what he is doing is good, but I do agree with VI that it could have helped him to be more attentive in how he interacted with his players.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
One of my favourite coaches of all-time. Absolutely amazing that he managed to become a professional making top dollar while not knowing basic reading skills.

Like VanIslander said, i'm sure he could recognize some simple aspects like player names, newspaper headlines ect ect.

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
It wouldn't suprise if he overcompensated with his emotional,chatty style.He learned that bluster served him well.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I only respect the man more for this. One of history's great coach. Not the best, but maybe the best of the past 1980 era after Jacques Lemaire. Not the best tactician, but could motivate players and use his assistants to their max.

This said... illeteracy is a bit incompatible with the GM function.

Bob Kudelski

Mar 8, 2006
Ottawa, ON
It's really amazing he was able to, not just get by, but to be successful in the best league in the world.. amazing. I respect him.

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
You have to keep in mind that Jacques Demers loves to play the victim and he's a good manipulator. (There was a good article from Ronald King when his book came out, but I can't find the link and it's in French anyway). In other words, there is many evidences that show he can read to a certain degree. (I'm not an expert in analphabetism but there's probably some kind of levels)
Keep in mind that I love the guy and his eternal optimism, so it's not a knock on him. I just want to put things in perspective.

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
Was able to attend the book launching and chat briefly with Demers after a talk he gave at my local library. From what I can gather, he can read and write at about a 3rd grade level. He can struggle through a text if he has to but it gets increasingly difficult if he is tired or stressed.

Would imagine his early home life was major contributor to his difficulties.

Also do not think he's the only guy in hockey who has difficulties with reading and writing. Pretty sure there are a number of ex-players who fill various scouting positions who are not too nimble linguistically.

In closing, an English translation of the book was completed well over a year ago but to my knowledge has not been released yet.

Does anyone know whether or when it might be in bookshops ?

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Was able to attend the book launching and chat briefly with Demers after a talk he gave at my local library. From what I can gather, he can read and write at about a 3rd grade level. He can struggle through a text if he has to but it gets increasingly difficult if he is tired or stressed.

Would imagine his early home life was major contributor to his difficulties.

Also do not think he's the only guy in hockey who has difficulties with reading and writing. Pretty sure there are a number of ex-players who fill various scouting positions who are not too nimble linguistically.

In closing, an English translation of the book was completed well over a year ago but to my knowledge has not been released yet.

Does anyone know whether or when it might be in bookshops ?

That's what I thought as well. The story took on legs and seemed to indicate that his level was much lower than it actually is.

habsfan87

Mar 1, 2008
The amazing thing to me is he was a broadcaster for so long, even before he told everybody about his illiteracy. You'd think broadcasters would have notes to make, receive sheets with topics that will be talked about, etc. He did it in English and French, too.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Ohh... and Demers also suffers from a severe case of anxiety, and he talks and express himself like somebody who suffers from high pressure. Needless to say, those two things doesn't help when you're trying to do something you know you ain't good at (like, reading).

coolguy21415

Jul 17, 2003
I think it's hilarious that there's a commercial where he's reading a novel. I know his reading skill has supposedly improved, but I love the irony anyway.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I only respect the man more for this. One of history's great coach. Not the best, but maybe the best of the past 1980 era after Jacques Lemaire. Not the best tactician, but could motivate players and use his assistants to their max.

This said... illeteracy is a bit incompatible with the GM function.

Excellent insight. The only coach better at this was Scotty Bowman.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
When I saw the CBC special on this, I missed the beginning and all they talked about was his "secret" never mentioining it was illiteracy, so, I watched for 10 minutes thinking, "Wow, Jacques Demers is gay?"

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
When I saw the CBC special on this, I missed the beginning and all they talked about was his "secret" never mentioining it was illiteracy, so, I watched for 10 minutes thinking, "Wow, Jacques Demers is gay?"

Haahah!!! He had like 6 wives and 213081 childrens (not counting... illegitimates? bastards? naturals?.... whatever the right word in english, don't feel like searching now) so that one was an impossibility right from the start....

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
You have to keep in mind that Jacques Demers loves to play the victim and he's a good manipulator. (There was a good article from Ronald King when his book came out, but I can't find the link and it's in French anyway). In other words, there is many evidences that show he can read to a certain degree. (I'm not an expert in analphabetism but there's probably some kind of levels)
Keep in mind that I love the guy and his eternal optimism, so it's not a knock on him. I just want to put things in perspective.

Yeah he said it himself when interviewed at Tout le monde en parle

I think it's hilarious that there's a commercial where he's reading a novel. I know his reading skill has supposedly improved, but I love the irony anyway.

Not enritely sure but I believe that why the commercial is made like it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad