Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Who is that player going to be? In theory it will probably be a 3rd pair rd that would be brought in to replace trouba, but this cannot be done just in a vacuum, the Lindgren situation also coming into play here.

Assuming Trouba is gone and Gusto isn't resigned then you figure out Lindgren and it is three options:
1. Fox's partner
2. 3rd pair
3. not resigned

I think Jones is definitely in next season. All signs point to him getting a look.

I'd bring in Jones, move out Trouba, and try to get Lindgren back for cheap.

I then have

Fox
Miller
Schneider
Lindgren
Jones

I make a move for a high end D, like Theodore or Chychrun or someone unforeseen, but better than Roy.

Get a cheap vet for 7D. Good to go.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I think Jones is definitely in next season. All signs point to him getting a look.

I'd bring in Jones, move out Trouba, and try to get Lindgren back for cheap.

I then have

Fox
Miller
Schneider
Lindgren
Jones

I make a move for a high end D, like Theodore or Chychrun or someone unforeseen, but better than Roy.

Get a cheap vet for 7D. Good to go.
I hate that D core, not that I love the current one, but for all the talk of getting better this just doesn't feel like a big improvement and I know people keep saying Theodore and Chychurn but I have yet to see any real indication that vegas is trading Theodore (other than when marner is mentioned) (and what the hell is NYR trading for Theodore???) and Chychrun has a hole host of questions and concerns attached to him. If those are the only two names we are really relying on here to improve things then I think we are prepped for a mess.

Also, if we buyout or trade Trouba then other teams and agents can do the math and would know that NYR is desperate to fill out their defense, no one is being dealt here cheaply.

Reactions: majordomo

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I hate that D core, not that I love the current one, but for all the talk of getting better this just doesn't feel like a big improvement

Well how do you get a big improvement?

To start, I feel like Jones has to be part of the end solution, at least for next season. He's cheap and he can play the third pair and give us something we are really missing, puck movement. If you want to be able to spend on a big upgrade in the top 4, having a cheap replacement in Jones for the third pair seems mandatory. You think you are going to find a veteran better than Jones for a minimum salary? Our recent history (Nemeth, Jack Johnson) says we can't.

and I know people keep saying Theodore and Chychurn but I have yet to see any real indication that vegas is trading Theodore (other than when marner is mentioned) (and what the hell is NYR trading for Theodore???) and Chychrun has a hole host of questions and concerns attached to him. If those are the only two names we are really relying on here to improve things then I think we are prepped for a mess.

Also, if we buyout or trade Trouba then other teams and agents can do the math and would know that NYR is desperate to fill out their defense, no one is being dealt here cheaply.

Ok, so what then? You're keeping Trouba? We are definitely not any better if we keep him. I threw out the names Theodore and Chychrun but said "or someone like that but unforeseen."

I dunno. Probably have to part with a pick and a prospect. Not Perrault. Hopefully not Othmann. I might do Othmann if I had to, if the young D was good enough. I might do Kakko if the returning NHL D was good enough, high enough potential.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
An honest question: If Trouba and Gus are gone this offseason, what defenseman on the rangers can clear out forwards from in front of Shesterkin?

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-???

Is that potentially the softest defensive group in the league? All gas no brakes baby woooooooo
honest question, has Trouba actually ever cleared the front of the net effectively?

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
With Trouba I ask myself if he sucks so bad why did Rangers make him the captain?
No one else wanted it and he was willing. @bleedblue94 said it too, that the leader doesn't necessary have to be the best player.

NYR were without a captain from 2018-2022 after trading McDonagh. A's the 1st season post-McDonagh (2018-19) were Kreider, Zib, Fast, Zuke, M. Staal.

Trouba and Panarin came to NYR for the start of the 2019-2020 season. A's the 2nd season were the same minus Zuke.

3rd season in 2020-21, Fast and Staal are out. Trouba and Panarin got A's with Kreider and Zib.

4th season of no captain in 2021-22 is when the lack of one voice/group leader really starts showing. We have Kreider, Zib, Panarin, Trouba, Goodrow, and Strome with A's. I guess they had a contest across a week and whoever took the biggest shit each day was awarded an A. On the 7th day, they all rested.

5th season Trouba was named captain. I'd imagine he was approached and said "Yea sure, if no one else wants it, I'll take it." He happened to be the one guy who was comfortable with the added responsibility/leadership/etc.

--

This team has leaders, no doubt, but none of them seem to be able to or want to command a group. My only evidence for that was being without a captain for 4 years. That's something very few other teams/organizations have ever done during any period of their existences. I went through every team and..

The Bruins went 6 years without a named captain in the 60s/70s, where Johnny Bucyk looks to have relinquished captaincy after the 1966-67 season for a group of A's (himself, Phil Esposito, and a rotating 3rd/4th A). So they had a captain in Bucyk, he gave up the title for 6 seasons, and then was again named captain through the early 70s.
The Pens went 4 years without a captain also in the 60s/70s (literally right after they came into the league).
The Blackhawks went 5 seasons without a captain in the early 70s (wtf was up with teams in the 60s/70s?).
The Wild went their first 7 seasons without a captain in the 00s.
The Leafs have had a couple stretches of 3 seasons without a captain (in the 80s and mid-2010s).

Does having a captain instantly make a team decent/good? Absolutely not, but it's at least someone that can be looked to and creates a standard. Again does that mean the standard is decent/good? No, but at least it gives people that sense of structure to follow. And that's crucial to the wellbeing and success of a team.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Yeah this isn’t how the market works.

Assuming the rangers will be in on a player who has multiple suitors, that will drive the market, not the hole in their roster (that will also exist for other teams trying to sign the player.)

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

Trouba was asked for his no-trade list??
I would not read much into it. His contract is converting from full no-movement to limited no-trade. He is required to file his list of teams by July 1. I do hope he is traded though.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
If you don’t see how stupid you sound. I am not gonna lower myself to answering you. Like I said previously, embarrassing. You have embarrassed yourself.
I’d bet a large amount of money that, if we ran a poll and asked which of the two of you are embarrassing yourselves more, you would win in a landslide. You’d also probably call the poll embarrassing and refuse to accept the results.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I’d bet a large amount of money that, if we ran a poll and asked which of the two of you are embarrassing yourselves more, you would win in a landslide. You’d also probably call the poll embarrassing and refuse to accept the results.
I don’t even understand what was said that was controversial. What does the players liking Trouba have to do with keeping him around from a team building/winning perspective?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I don’t even understand what was said that was controversial. What does the players liking Trouba have to do with keeping him around from a team building/winning perspective?
You’ve got one guy suggesting that a team should be run unemotionally (which is right) and another guy advocating for allowing the inmates to run the asylum. Then you have the crazy guy calling the same guy crazy.

Nothing controversial. Just standard internet shit.

Reactions: mas0764

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
You’ve got one guy suggesting that a team should be run unemotionally (which is right) and another guy advocating for allowing the inmates to run the asylum. Then you have the crazy guy calling the same guy crazy.

i mean if the players were on GM salaries and contracts and were evaluated only on team success maybe they’d feel very strongly about getting rid of trouba lol. Them liking a teammate is irrelevant, it’s not preschool. Can the team only move out players that everyone hates? Lol

Last edited:

noncents

Feb 25, 2022

Let's all get along

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Yeah this isn’t how the market works.

Assuming the rangers will be in on a player who has multiple suitors, that will drive the market, not the hole in their roster (that will also exist for other teams trying to sign the player.)
I'm not following you. I'm saying if NYR has a huge hole in their d then everyone else knows that, so agents will use it as leverage to get the dollar amounts higher here or elsewhere (higher costs for whoever signs a player), and if you're talking about trades then other teams know nyr is dealing from a position of weakness/need. Not sure what you're saying, sorry.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm not following you. I'm saying if NYR has a huge hole in their d then everyone else knows that, so agents will use it as leverage to get the dollar amounts higher here or elsewhere (higher costs for whoever signs a player), and if you're talking about trades then other teams know nyr is dealing from a position of weakness/need. Not sure what you're saying, sorry.

Yeah thats basically it. Works for trades too, at the end of the day dealing from a point of "weakness" doesn't matter, the amount of suitors does.

Anyone who they go after is going to be sought after, the Trouba trade/buyout impacts nothing on that end.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
An honest question: If Trouba and Gus are gone this offseason, what defenseman on the rangers can clear out forwards from in front of Shesterkin?

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-???

Is that potentially the softest defensive group in the league? All gas no brakes baby woooooooo
How many tough guys does Florida have on D? Ekblad is the toughest and he was their worst D.

I think we are looking small picture here. Having 8 mil on 3rd pair and 4 mil on 4th line is not a cup winning formula.

Take those savings, get replacement level at cheaper cost and have some net for TDL acquisitions.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Yeah thats basically it. Works for trades too, at the end of the day dealing from a point of "weakness" doesn't matter, the amount of suitors does.

Anyone who they go after is going to be sought after, the Trouba trade/buyout impacts nothing on that end.
I would disagree to a point. Certain teams having openings created more legit options for players. Not knocking certain cities, but NYR having space to fill is different than Winnipeg or Buffalo. VERY rarely do people avoid nyr or those sexier teams in desirable locations, so if teams like that are needing players then they present real competition/options/leverage for agents in negotiations for ufas. From a trade standpoint every GM in the league knows that NYR is going to find a legitimate players to fill out its d corps, this isn't like the former coyotes having some openings and willing to toss in echl players if they cant find the right deal. NYR is going to get players to fill it out one way or the other. It's naive to think that in a competitive world that other gms and agents wouldn't be aware or any and all factors that may improve their leverage in trade or contract demands

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad