Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Buying out Trouba makes sense, but I feel like Drury is going to try and keep as much cap space open as possible for the 2026 Free Agent class.

He and Lindgren being shipped out are moves that should be made though.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
The main problem with Trouba is his complete lack of hockey IG and his inability to play fundamentally sound defense. In the past when completely sound health wise, he was able to cover up for those things because he had the physical skills. Well, he's getting older and he will keep having those nagging injuries. He is on the complete opposite end of being a "savvy vet". We have all commented on some of this in the past, the horrible gap control, the going to a knee, the running out of position for whatever reason; it has caught up to him. He just can't function with any nagging injury.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
You have to consider it may be a bit egotistical for you to think you know better than coaches, GMs and players that do this as their full time jobs and who have all the inside information. Not saying that they never make mistakes. Of course they do as humans but being an arm chair QB is not the same as playing QB for the NY Jets.

I said the players don't know what's good for them and that's true.

If you are saying they do make mistakes then you are open to the possibility that we could be right when they make those mistakes.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I said the players don't know what's good for them and that's true.

If you are saying they do make mistakes then you are open to the possibility that we could be right when they make those mistakes.
Nobody is perfect so players, coaches and GMs do make mistakes but if I'm betting on who knows best I'm going with the guys that do this full time, for decades and have all the inside information than yodels on HF who can't agree on almost anything. We do not know the players personal situations. We do not know the real deal on many injuries. We do not know which guys may not study film. We do not know which guys may drink a bit too much (or other stuff). Lets play arm chair GM. If you say we could be right and they could be wrong yes that is possible but who is the we? You have different opinions than many of our fellow posters and so do I. So which NY Ranger arm chair GM do we trust more than Drury, Lavi, Peca, Housley and the players?

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Nobody is perfect so players, coaches and GMs do make mistakes but if I'm betting on who knows best I'm going with the guys that do this full time, for decades and have all the inside information than yodels on HF who can't agree on almost anything. We do not know the players personal situations. We do not know the real deal on many injuries. We do not know which guys may not study film. We do not know which guys may drink a bit too much (or other stuff). Lets play arm chair GM. If you say we could be right and they could be wrong yes that is possible but who is the we? You have different opinions than many of our fellow posters and so do I. So which NY Ranger arm chair GM do we trust more than Drury, Lavi, Peca, Housley and the players?

You are muddling the waters to be obtuse.

The players often don't know what is good for them. Of course they don't want guys like Trouba gone. Many of them also didn't want DeAngelo gone.

This is often the case and the players are wrong when they feel that way a lot of the time. Probably more than not when it comes to not wanting a player to depart in free agency or trade.

The players' feelings on not wanting their buddies and co-workers shipped out should be nearly irrelevant.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

The players often don't know what is good for them. Of course they don't want guys like Trouba gone. Many of them also didn't want DeAngelo gone.

This is often the case and the players are wrong when they feel that way a lot of the time. Probably more than not when it comes to not wanting a player to depart in free agency or trade.

The players' feelings on not wanting their buddies and co-workers shipped out should be nearly irrelevant.
I do not think you can group every player together and say they do not know what is best (compared to HF posters) while assuming that you or I do know best. A player wanting to play with his buddy is not about knowing best. Its their personal leanings. That is a big difference. I'm pretty sure guys like Gretz, Mess, Leetch, Crosby, etc can judge the players they are actually on the ice with and against at least as good as posters on a messageboard. Maybe you are a hockey genius but I'm not. I realize my own shortcomings. I know I do not know nearly as much about various Rangers players then the actual coaches and players on the ice with them.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
lf you yourself, being merely a fan like the rest of us here, are also incapable of providing persoective because you're not in the room... on what basis do you have any opinion about the team, or players.

do you have any thoughts about what the team should do to win?

there's just conflicting logic here.

Reactions: mas0764

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Buying out Trouba makes sense, but I feel like Drury is going to try and keep as much cap space open as possible for the 2026 Free Agent class.

He and Lindgren being shipped out are moves that should be made though.
still holding out hope we can trade him at 50% retained for actual assets but also so we get some of that cap back that we'd lose in years 3+4 of a buy out.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
lf you yourself, being merely a fan like the rest of us here, are also incapable of providing persoective because you're not in the room... on what basis do you have any opinion about the team, or players.

do you have any thoughts about what the team should do to win?

there's just conflicting logic here.
You said it perfect. I have thoughts. I have opinions. That doesn't mean they are informed opinions despite playing, coaching and reffing around 30 years.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
then why not recuse yourself from issuing any opinion whatsoever
I did not realize that my opinions were not allowed but I will make you a deal. If you can get 17 posters sign on with you that my opinions should be recused then I will do as you ask. Fair enough?

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I did not realize that my opinions were not allowed but I will make you a deal. If you can get 17 posters sign on with you that my opinions should be recused then I will do as you ask. Fair enough?
i think you're missing my point. I am of the idea that even though you aren't in the room or on the ice, your opinion on what the team should do differently has merit - even potentially beyond what the players' or front office's opinion may be.

even if i don't agree with what your opinion is i believe it may in theory be better defended than what the Rangers decision-makers, awash as they are in wisdom and experience, choose to do.

You're the one who feels differently.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Which teams want him? Which teams will Trouba waive for? Which pick(s) are we sending?

It all sounds very simple until you actually get into the details of it and realize it isn't simple at all. We don't have any 2nd round picks until 2027, and we don't have a 3rd round pick until 2026. In your proposed scenario then, we would have to send at least a 1st. It cost us 2 2nd round picks to dump 2 years of Nemeth @ 2.5 mil. We better hope Trouba has more actual value around the league if we want to trade him.

That's not to say he can't be traded, but there aren't many viable options.
Trouba only has a 15 team no-trade list currently. Trade a 1st rounder and say goodbye.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
i think you're missing my point. I am of the idea that even though you aren't in the room or on the ice, your opinion on what the team should do differently has merit - even potentially beyond what the players' or front office's opinion may be.

even if i don't agree with what your opinion is i believe it may in theory be better defended than what the Rangers decision-makers, awash as they are in wisdom and experience, choose to do.

You're the one who feels differently.
I do not believe I said anyone without an educated or informed opinion needed to recuse themselves. I just put more faith in GM, coaches and players opinions who do this as full time jobs and have all the inside information than I do my own or other message board posters. I think that is logical.

I would not want you to take my opinion over any professional or experts opinion in any subject. It does not mean they are always right or I am always wrong but logically speaking the odds are in their favor. Wouldn't you agree?

16 to go. If you feel that threatened by me not placing my opinions ahead of professionals I will lower your sign up to force me to recluse to 15 from 17.

DevilDog99

May 5, 2018

If you don’t see how stupid you sound. I am not gonna lower myself to answering you. Like I said previously, embarrassing. You have embarrassed yourself.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
Trouba at 50% retained would have alot of team interested
I agree. If a Trouba like player was available at a trade line at 50% off he would almost for sure get offers. People get too all or nothing about players. There are gray areas.
not really. he is worse than walman and has bigger cap hit even at 50% off.
if you mean trade deadline, its possible. i wouldnt give it a high % chance tho. i mean he got seriously exposed this past playoffs. remember his play in the last game where he literally look himself out of the play trying to make a hit and they scored? no contender is adding that.
i would rather guarantee 100% hes off the team and the buyout penalty for doing that is seriously not bad at all

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
That's the very definition of an informed opinion, actually.
To a small degree but I have no idea who shows up ready to practice hard and who dogs it in practice, what their personal situations off the ice are like, who pays attentions and understands advance scouting tape, who gets along with who in the locker room, if anyone drinks too much, etc. That is why I consider myself uninformed. :)

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
To a small degree but I have no idea who shows up ready to practice hard and who dogs it in practice, what their personal situations off the ice are like, who pays attentions and understands advance scouting tape, who gets along with who in the locker room, if anyone drinks too much, etc. That is why I consider myself uninformed. :)

You don't know EVERYTHING. But you know some things. Often, more than enough.

And that's often enough to see when someone else is wrong who is too close to the situation.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
not really. he is worse than walman and has bigger cap hit even at 50% off.
if you mean trade deadline, its possible. i wouldnt give it a high % chance tho. i mean he got seriously exposed this past playoffs. remember his play in the last game where he literally look himself out of the play trying to make a hit and they scored? no contender is adding that.
i would rather guarantee 100% hes off the team and the buyout penalty for doing that is seriously not bad at all
Hed have a lot of suitors at 50% retained. It’s not really debatable. Especially when you consider the actual $$$ vs aav. The team would only pay him $3mm vs a $4aav.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad