Jacob Trouba Elbow On Rodrigues (Fined 5,000 Dollars)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Continuing down this vein....what are the rules around reviewing penalties? I don't mean coach challenges, but reviews. Kind of feels like they review some penalties at random. Like the high stick on Zibanejad today. They at least got the call right in the end, but are all penalties reviewable or what? And if so, how do they choose what to review and what not to?
I believe they can only review double minors and major calls. Maurice was telling the refs to call 4 on Barkov when Zibanejad got a stick in the face so they could review it and see what really happened.

Reactions: Grifter3511

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He was caught leaning the wrong way with too big of a gap when puck popped right onto Erod stick. He made a desperate attempt to stop Erod from walking right in on goal. All he could do was lunge at him, and he led with his elbow.
I don’t think it was a malicious intentional attempt to crack him in the head. Just a poor, kind of reckless play made in desperation to prevent a goal. It happens during playoff hockey. If he doesn’t hit the shoulder first before any head contact he’s probably gone from the game, though.
I’ve been watching hockey for a long time. I haven’t seen elbow attempts as deliberate as Trouba’s from any player in the modern salary cap era. Trouba’s reaction there isn’t normal. His reaction is borne out of his natural reaction which is to elbow and head shot. A reaction that he’s developed cause he’s found he can get away with it no problem cause the league is a complete joke when it comes to headshot enforcement.

Reactions: sanscosm

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
No it is the only explanation why some teams get away with MUCH more than others. Why is rempe not allowed to touch the ice without a penalty and a player like Bennett regularly gets away with cheap shots.

STOP. He may have led with his elbow but he connected with his arm and initial contaadct was CLEARLY shoulder.
All The ref saw was that elbow that came from 5 feet away

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
If they were serious about head contact he'd be gone for the rest of the playoffs and about half of next season, just because it's his 4th attempt to do something like that this year. But they aren't.
Unhinged. It was a light chicken wing to the shoulder/neck in which it was clearly used to try to hold/interfere with the player. It frankly was more of a holding penalty than an elbow.

And also, I think the league would be better with more hits like kulikov on wennberg as well as bennett on lindgren. Kulikov’s hit was an obviously interference but in no way was it an illegal 5 minute type hit despite being 10X worse than the trouba chicken wing

Block

Feb 14, 2005
It was a light chicken wing to the shoulder/neck in which it was clearly used to try to hold/interfere with the player. It frankly was more of a holding penalty than an elbow.
THAT is unhinged, you're attempting to reinvent reality. Launching yourself with elbow at head level that obviously should be 5 games for the attempt. I don't care if it lands.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
THAT is unhinged, you're attempting to reinvent reality. Launching yourself with elbow at head level that obviously should be 5 games for the attempt. I don't care if it lands.
Launching usually means leaving the feet to hit a guy high. This truly is a nothing burger. Hes merely trying to impede the players progress which shouldve been 2 for interference. Heres the replay in case you havent seen it

Block

Feb 14, 2005
Launching usually means leaving the feet to hit a guy high. This truly is a nothing burger. Hes merely trying to impede the players progress which shouldve been 2 for interference. Heres the replay in case you havent seen it

Whatever man. Play semantic games, it was very obvious what he was trying to do, that he missed just means he sucks at being a cheap goon. Reply all you want with your attempts to distort reality, you're not worth talking to.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Wtf are you talking about. He’s trying to impede his movement with a lunging elbow to the head. It’s not just regularly scheduled NHL defence.

Defenceman are beat on plays every night in the NHL. What Trouba did there isn’t the norm. It’s his own personal reaction to getting beat, which is to throw head shots.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Yes the conspiracy is real that’s why they blew a 2 on 1 dead for a Panthers player that got the wind knocked out of them. Also why they have allowed the Bennett Marchand play. Also why every time Reinhart dives he either draws a penalty or the play is stopped because he may be hurt.
Yes yes, that also.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Wtf are you talking about. He’s trying to impede his movement with a lunging elbow to the head. It’s not just regularly scheduled NHL defence.

Defenceman are beat on plays every night in the NHL. What Trouba did there isn’t the norm. It’s his own personal reaction to getting beat, which is to throw head shots.
Absolutely. Yes he deserves a suspension and I hope he burns in hell!

• Haha
Reactions: HanSolo

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I’ve been watching hockey for a long time. I haven’t seen elbow attempts as deliberate as Trouba’s from any player in the modern salary cap era. Trouba’s reaction there isn’t normal. His reaction is borne out of his natural reaction which is to elbow and head shot. A reaction that he’s developed cause he’s found he can get away with it no problem cause the league is a complete joke when it comes to headshot enforcement.
I don't think that's true at all. It's all just speculation here, but I think Trouba tries to line people up for big hits, obviously, but he's pretty damn slow and deliberate, so guys are able to get out of his lane. He then realizes that he's f***ed and the guy he's checking is about to go completely around him unobstructed so he just desperately and recklessly tries to get some contact with the player. He's not reaching out with his arm because that's also obvious and he'll get his shoulder separated, so he stupidly throws the elbow out.

Again, all just speculation. But I honestly don't think he's ever thinking, 'I'm going to elbow this guy in the head,' he's just big, slow and very, very reckless.

Also, I should note that I don't think this should absolve him of punishment. You need to be in control of your stick at all times, you should also have to be in control of your limbs at all times.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't think that's true at all. It's all just speculation here, but I think Trouba tries to line people up for big hits, obviously, but he's pretty damn slow and deliberate, so guys are able to get out of his lane. He then realizes that he's f***ed and the guy he's checking is about to go completely around him unobstructed so he just desperately and recklessly tries to get some contact with the player. He's not reaching out with his arm because that's also obvious and he'll get his shoulder separated, so he stupidly throws the elbow out.

Again, all just speculation. But I honestly don't think he's ever thinking, 'I'm going to elbow this guy in the head,' he's just big, slow and very, very reckless.

Also, I should note that I don't think this should absolve him of punishment. You need to be in control of your stick at all times, you should also have to be in control of your limbs at all times.
Seen plenty of Trouba elbows in the past. And now plenty of missed deliberate elbow attempts that are as a clear as day what he’s doing.

I’m using the evidence in front of me (including video) to see what he’s doing. I’m going with that cause he doesn’t deserve any benefit of doubt.

I mean you can call it something else if you want. But to me and I think most non-partisan viewers, we can see exactly what he’s attempting.

Reactions: Tryamw and Block

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Seen plenty of Trouba elbows in the past. And now plenty of missed deliberate elbow attempts that are as a clear as day what he’s doing.

I’m using the evidence in front of me (including video) to see what he’s doing. I’m going with that cause he doesn’t deserve any benefit of doubt.

I mean you can call it something else if you want. But to me and I think most non-partisan viewers, we can see exactly what he’s attempting.
Okay..so Trouba is credited with 46 hits in these playoffs. How many times have we seen the elbow these playoffs? 5? I honestly don't know. At least 3 for sure that i can recall off the top of my head. If it's his natural instinct and what he's trying to do everytime, as you suggest, shouldn't there be significantly more of them then?

Seems to me like it's more likely reactionary recklessness.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018

2 for elbowing, 2 for interference....whichever you want to call the penalty, it’s still 2 minutes.
Plus the two for the original slashing call.

this is supposed to be the reverse angle. It looks like more of a hit to the shoulder than anything. Regardless, the elbow is a problem

Psychic :help:Tara could feel Erod’s (lack of) pain

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
there's a video there that shows the whole thing.
I know. It shows the point of the elbow contacting the head. The still photo shows a couple nanoseconds later to obscure the fact that the point of the elbow hits the head first

Okay..so Trouba is credited with 46 hits in these playoffs. How many times have we seen the elbow these playoffs? 5? I honestly don't know. At least 3 for sure that i can recall off the top of my head. If it's his natural instinct and what he's trying to do everytime, as you suggest, shouldn't there be significantly more of them then?

Seems to me like it's more likely reactionary recklessness.
3-5 is ALOT of attempts in 2 and a half playoff series. Combine that with the past of which there are examples too and it paints a pretty clear picture of a serial elbow headshot artist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Block

tlk

Zeev Buium appreciation corps
Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
If Kulikov on Wennberg was 2 min then this is in the same ballpark.
Despite the elbow, Kulikov's did more "damage".
Case closed.

• Haha
Reactions: sanscosm

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Looked like he got the back on my first glance but the intent is unmistakable over and over again. The guy is an unabashed head hunter.

• Haha
Reactions: tlk

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
2 for elbowing, 2 for interference....whichever you want to call the penalty, it’s still 2 minutes.
Plus the two for the original slashing call.

Psychic :help:Tara could feel Erod’s (lack of) pain
I think they made the correct call

I know. It shows the point of the elbow contacting the head. The still photo shows a couple nanoseconds later to obscure the fact that the point of the elbow hits the head first

3-5 is ALOT of attempts in 2 and a half playoff series. Combine that with the past of which there are examples too and it paints a pretty clear picture of a serial elbow headshot artist.
The video doesn't really show the elbow contacting the head. It's mostly (or all) shoulder blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad